Обсуждение: WINDOWS : PostgreSQL 8.4 Server Start Error

WINDOWS : PostgreSQL 8.4 Server Start Error

От
Zery
Дата:
All,

I'm a newbie in postgresql, a few days ago i install postgresql
8.4.3.1 and it works fine, yesterday i install cyberlink powerdvd 9
and after that my postgresql server cannot start, it give the
following error info :

" The postgresql-8.4 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service is starting....
  The postgresql-8.4 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service could not be started.

  The service did not report an error
  ....................................."

And when it succed to start, i cannot connect to the server using
"postgres" username, it gives this error :

" An error has occured :
  Error connecting to the server: server closed the connection unexpectedly
 before or while processing the request"

I've noticed that when i install powerdvd the software install
microsoft visual c++ 2005 too, i think that's what make the server
crash and cannot start.

I have unistalled the both the c++ 2005 (from postgresql and from
powerdvd), and do reinstalled the postgresql, it still gives the same
error).

Anyone can help me with this???

TIA,
Zery

Re: WINDOWS : PostgreSQL 8.4 Server Start Error

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 07/06/10 08:34, Zery wrote:
> All,
>

> I'm a newbie in postgresql, a few days ago i install postgresql
> 8.4.3.1 and it works fine, yesterday i install cyberlink powerdvd 9
> and after that my postgresql server cannot start, it give the
> following error info :
>
> " The postgresql-8.4 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service is starting....
>   The postgresql-8.4 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service could not be started.
>
>   The service did not report an error
>   ....................................."

Look in the Windows event log for details on why it might be failing to
start. You can find Event Viewer in Adminstrative Tools in the Control
Panel.

Also look at the PostgreSQL log files in
  C:\Program Files\postgresql\8.4\data\pg_log
(I think that path is right, by default anyway) and see if there's
anything useful there.

I wouldn't be too surprised to find that PowerDVD has installed
something it shouldn't into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: WINDOWS : PostgreSQL 8.4 Server Start Error

От
Zery
Дата:
Craig,

Nothing is usefull or barely i understand :-)

In pg_log i only find this :
2010-06-07 14:11:40 ICT LOG:  could not receive data from client: An
operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

2010-06-07 14:11:40 ICT LOG:  incomplete startup packet

In event viewer i found :

: Waiting for server startup..
and
: Timed out waiting for server startup

I have removed PowerDVD and still it doesn't solve the problem, this
the second time it happen, the first time i couldn't figure out what's
the problem, so I reinstalled Windows, this time i found the problem
is crashing with PowerDVD, but i'm avoiding to reinstall Windows.

I read some other way is to manage Firewall, i did turn off the
firewall, still it dosn't solve either.

Any other way??

> On 6/7/10, Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
>> On 07/06/10 08:34, Zery wrote:
>>> All,
>>>

>>> I'm a newbie in postgresql, a few days ago i install postgresql
>>> 8.4.3.1 and it works fine, yesterday i install cyberlink powerdvd 9
>>> and after that my postgresql server cannot start, it give the
>>> following error info :
>>>
>>> " The postgresql-8.4 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service is starting....
>>>   The postgresql-8.4 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service could not be
>>> started.
>>>
>>>   The service did not report an error
>>>   ....................................."
>>
>> Look in the Windows event log for details on why it might be failing to
>> start. You can find Event Viewer in Adminstrative Tools in the Control
>> Panel.
>>
>> Also look at the PostgreSQL log files in
>>   C:\Program Files\postgresql\8.4\data\pg_log
>> (I think that path is right, by default anyway) and see if there's
>> anything useful there.
>>
>> I wouldn't be too surprised to find that PowerDVD has installed
>> something it shouldn't into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.
>>
>> --
>> Craig Ringer

Re: WINDOWS : PostgreSQL 8.4 Server Start Error

От
Kenichiro Tanaka
Дата:
Hi.

At an environment(Ver8.4.2),a simmilar error happened and we could work
around
setting postgresql.conf

client_min_messages = log
client_min_messages = notice .

I'm not sure that your error is same,
but can you try this?

//Your message is following
//2010-06-07 14:11:40 ICT LOG:  incomplete startup packet
//So I guess that you set client_min_messages = log or higher.

(2010/06/07 16:49), Zery wrote:
> Craig,
>
> Nothing is usefull or barely i understand :-)
>
> In pg_log i only find this :
> 2010-06-07 14:11:40 ICT LOG:  could not receive data from client: An
> operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.
>

> 2010-06-07 14:11:40 ICT LOG:  incomplete startup packet
>
> In event viewer i found :
>
> : Waiting for server startup..
> and
> : Timed out waiting for server startup
>
> I have removed PowerDVD and still it doesn't solve the problem, this
> the second time it happen, the first time i couldn't figure out what's
> the problem, so I reinstalled Windows, this time i found the problem
> is crashing with PowerDVD, but i'm avoiding to reinstall Windows.
>
> I read some other way is to manage Firewall, i did turn off the
> firewall, still it dosn't solve either.
>
> Any other way??

>>> Look in the Windows event log for details on why it might be failing to
>>> start. You can find Event Viewer in Adminstrative Tools in the Control
>>> Panel.
>>>
>>> Also look at the PostgreSQL log files in
>>>    C:\Program Files\postgresql\8.4\data\pg_log
>>> (I think that path is right, by default anyway) and see if there's
>>> anything useful there.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't be too surprised to find that PowerDVD has installed
>>> something it shouldn't into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Craig Ringer

Kenichiro Tanaka
K.K.Ashisuto
http://www.ashisuto.co.jp/english/index.html

Re: [SOLVED] WINDOWS : PostgreSQL 8.4 Server Start Error

От
Zery
Дата:
Thank you all,

It works now using Craig "Winsock" solution.

Before that i use Ken "client_min_messages" solution, but it doesn't solve it.

I'll check back if this permanent fixed or just temporary.

BR,
Zery

On 6/7/10, Kenichiro Tanaka <ketanaka@ashisuto.co.jp> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> At an environment(Ver8.4.2),a simmilar error happened and we could work
> around
> setting postgresql.conf
>
> client_min_messages = log
> client_min_messages = notice .
>

> I'm not sure that your error is same,
> but can you try this?
>
> //Your message is following
> //2010-06-07 14:11:40 ICT LOG:  incomplete startup packet
> //So I guess that you set client_min_messages = log or higher.
>

> (2010/06/07 16:49), Zery wrote:
>> Craig,
>>
>> Nothing is usefull or barely i understand :-)
>>
>> In pg_log i only find this :
>> 2010-06-07 14:11:40 ICT LOG:  could not receive data from client: An
>> operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.
>>

>> 2010-06-07 14:11:40 ICT LOG:  incomplete startup packet
>>
>> In event viewer i found :
>>
>> : Waiting for server startup..
>> and
>> : Timed out waiting for server startup
>>
>> I have removed PowerDVD and still it doesn't solve the problem, this
>> the second time it happen, the first time i couldn't figure out what's
>> the problem, so I reinstalled Windows, this time i found the problem
>> is crashing with PowerDVD, but i'm avoiding to reinstall Windows.
>>
>> I read some other way is to manage Firewall, i did turn off the
>> firewall, still it dosn't solve either.
>>
>> Any other way??

Re: [SOLVED] WINDOWS : PostgreSQL 8.4 Server Start Error

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 08/06/10 09:40, Zery wrote:
> Thank you all,
>
> It works now using Craig "Winsock" solution.
>
> Before that i use Ken "client_min_messages" solution, but it doesn't solve it.
>
> I'll check back if this permanent fixed or just temporary.

Yikes. I strongly recommend contacting PowerDVD technical support and
reporting what happened, then. Include the .reg files from your winsock
registry trees after searching them to make sure they don't include any
passwords.

To say that PowerDVD has no business messing with the winsock parts of
the registry is a bit of an understatement :S

( Do be sure, though, that *all* you installed is PowerDVD and Pg. If
some registry "cleaner" or "optimizer" was run as well, then you pretty
much just got the expected result, ie a broken system. )

--
Craig Ringer