Обсуждение: Installing version 8.4

Installing version 8.4

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
Hi

I'm having problems installing PostgreSQL 8.4 on Windows 7. (See below)

I downloaded the install from Enterprise DB.

I attempted to install the same app on Windows XP.

Both installs gave the same error message.

Can anyone point me to a PostgreSQL installation for Windows that works?

Can anyone suggest a way around these problems. (Enterprise support has yet to answer).

Bob

I just downloaded and installed Postgresql 8.4 on Windows 7.

During the installation there were two error messages.

One indicated that PGAgent returned and error and the other gave no info but it was installing the Stack Builder at the time.

At the end of the installation I was informed that 2 installations were skipped. (no indication of which ones although I assume one was PGAgent)

When I Attempted to connect the PG Admin to the server it refused the logon indicating the Server had not been started - System 5 error.

I attempted to start the server by right clicking on 'Start' and clicking 'Run as administer'. I got a message that there was a Logon problem  = Catch 22.

It seems that your firm is the only source for PostgreSQL downloads, so, perhaps you could suggest a way around these installation errors??

Bob Pawley

Re: Installing version 8.4

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Saturday 29 May 2010 3:09:05 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having problems installing PostgreSQL 8.4 on Windows 7. (See below)
>
> I downloaded the install from Enterprise DB.
>
> I attempted to install the same app on Windows XP.
>
> Both installs gave the same error message.
>
> Can anyone point me to a PostgreSQL installation for Windows that works?
>
> Can anyone suggest a way around these problems. (Enterprise support has yet
> to answer).
>
> Bob

From here:
http://www.enterprisedb.com/learning/pginst_guide.do

Troubleshooting

If you encounter any problems during installation, please check the logfile that
is created in /tmp on Linux or Mac OS X or %TEMP% on Windows. The file will be
called install-postgresql.log. The logfile may contain the superuser password
you specified during the installation, which should be replaced before sharing
the log with anyone.

Did you look to see if there is anything in the above location that provides
more information?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Installing version 8.4

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
Found it in XP it doesn't seem to exist in Windows 7. I can't even find Doc
and Settings in 7.

It's a large file. I'm not sure what is needed but here is the latter part
of the file.

Bob

> On Saturday 29 May 2010 3:09:05 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm having problems installing PostgreSQL 8.4 on Windows 7. (See below)
>>
>> I downloaded the install from Enterprise DB.
>>
>> I attempted to install the same app on Windows XP.
>>
>> Both installs gave the same error message.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to a PostgreSQL installation for Windows that works?
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a way around these problems. (Enterprise support has
>> yet
>> to answer).
>>
>> Bob
>>

> From here:
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/learning/pginst_guide.do
>
> Troubleshooting
>
> If you encounter any problems during installation, please check the
> logfile that
> is created in /tmp on Linux or Mac OS X or %TEMP% on Windows. The file
> will be
> called install-postgresql.log. The logfile may contain the superuser
> password
> you specified during the installation, which should be replaced before
> sharing
> the log with anyone.
>

> Did you look to see if there is anything in the above location that
> provides
> more information?
>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Installing version 8.4

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Saturday 29 May 2010 4:26:08 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
> Found it in XP it doesn't seem to exist in Windows 7. I can't even find Doc
> and Settings in 7.
>
> It's a large file. I'm not sure what is needed but here is the latter part
> of the file.
>
> Bob

Actually I was thinking you might want to browse the file to see if anything
stands out. Most of the issues I have seen on this list relative to Windows
installs relate to permissions, so that would be a good place to start.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Installing version 8.4

От
Justin Graf
Дата:
On 5/29/2010 6:26 PM, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Found it in XP it doesn't seem to exist in Windows 7. I can't even
> find Doc and Settings in 7.
>
> It's a large file. I'm not sure what is needed but here is the latter
> part of the file.
>
> Bob

***Snip***

Windows 7 and vista move lots of things around

Documents and Settings is in the root directory but normally hidden and
secured turn on show hidden files/folders and show system
files/folders.  form the start menu,  type the document name out and the
OS will find it for you.

Windows Vista was/is the first real attempt by MS to setup a OS in a
secure manner.  it kinda like having to run sudo in the linux world.
Still allot of things need to be improved namely the click through
interface, should be pass worded

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated by
ourproprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other
informationproprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
addresses.If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
thatany unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
receivedthis e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this
e-mailimmediately.
Thank you.

Вложения

Re: Installing version 8.4

От
Martin Gainty
Дата:
in windows you'll want to make sure you have at least read access to the binary
%PG_HOME%\bin>attrib pg_ctl.exe

make sure you implement the postgres binaries with the same username that postgres used to install the binary..
%PG_HOME%\bin>cacls.exe pg_ctl.exe

Martin Gainty

> From: adrian.klaver@gmail.com
> To: rjpawley@shaw.ca
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Installing version 8.4
> Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 16:35:31 -0700
> CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>
> On Saturday 29 May 2010 4:26:08 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
> > Found it in XP it doesn't seem to exist in Windows 7. I can't even find Doc
> > and Settings in 7.
> >
> > It's a large file. I'm not sure what is needed but here is the latter part
> > of the file.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Actually I was thinking you might want to browse the file to see if anything
> stands out. Most of the issues I have seen on this list relative to Windows
> installs relate to permissions, so that would be a good place to start.
>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Installing version 8.4

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Adrian.

However, being 2 months shy of 68, there may be enough time left for me to
continue learning PostgreSQL/PostGIS and Delphi to accomplish what I want to
accomplish.

I don't feel I should divert time to researching the intricacies of
PostgreSQL installation. That's why I am asking the experts for help.

If anyone has some thoughts or suggestions the log is REALLY below in this
e-mail.

The first 90% of the log is the installation prep and unpacking the
different elements showing no problems until - (the first problem appears to
be -- "Starting the database server...
Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program
Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\installer\server\startserver.vbs" postgresql-8.4
Script exit code: 1"

- but I have no idea what this actually means.)

Script output:
 User account 'DESKTOP\postgres' already exists.
User 'DESKTOP\postgres' already member of 'Users' group.
C:\PROGRA~1\POSTGR~2\8.4SS\INSTAL~1\server\CREATE~1.EXE ran to completion

Script stderr:

Configuring database server startup...
Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program
Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\installer\server\startupcfg.vbs" 8.4 "postgres"
"****" "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS" "C:\Program
Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\data" "postgresql-8.4"
Script exit code: 0

Script output:
 Start DoCmd("C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\bin\pg_ctl.exe"
register -N postgresql-8.4 -U postgres -P "postgres" -D "C:\Program
Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\data" -w)...
startupcfg.vbs ran to completion

Script stderr:

Creating menu shortcuts...
Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program
Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\installer\server\createshortcuts.vbs" 8.4
"postgres" 5432 "Postgres Plus Standard Server 8.4" "C:\Program
Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS" "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\data"
"postgresql-8.4"
Script exit code: 0

Script output:
 Start FixupFile(C:\Program
Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\scripts\serverctl.vbs)...
   Opening file for reading...
   Closing file (reading)...
   Replacing placeholders...
   Opening file for writing...
   Closing file...
  End FixupFile()...
Start FixupFile(C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\scripts\runpsql.bat)...
   Opening file for reading...
   Closing file (reading)...
   Replacing placeholders...
   Opening file for writing...
   Closing file...
  End FixupFile()...
createshortcuts.vbs ran to completion

Script stderr:

Starting the database server...
Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program
Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\installer\server\startserver.vbs" postgresql-8.4
Script exit code: 1

Script output:
 Starting postgresql-8.4
Failed to start the database server (15)

Script stderr:
 Program ended with an error exit code

Error running cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program
Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\installer\server\startserver.vbs" postgresql-8.4 :
Program ended with an error exit code
Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
 Failed to start the database server.
Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
 Failed to start the database server.
Creating Uninstaller
Creating uninstaller 25%
Creating uninstaller 50%
Creating uninstaller 75%
Creating uninstaller 100%
Installation completed
Log finished 05/29/10 at 15:37:22

> On Saturday 29 May 2010 4:26:08 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
>> Found it in XP it doesn't seem to exist in Windows 7. I can't even find
>> Doc
>> and Settings in 7.
>>
>> It's a large file. I'm not sure what is needed but here is the latter
>> part
>> of the file.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Actually I was thinking you might want to browse the file to see if
> anything
> stands out. Most of the issues I have seen on this list relative to
> Windows
> installs relate to permissions, so that would be a good place to start.
>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Installing version 8.4

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
Hi Bob,

Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\installer\server\startupcfg.vbs" 8.4 "postgres" "****" "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS" "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\data" "postgresql-8.4"
Script exit code: 0

Script output:
Start DoCmd("C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\bin\pg_ctl.exe" register -N postgresql-8.4 -U postgres -P "postgres" -D "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\data" -w)...
startupcfg.vbs ran to completion

Script stderr:

Creating menu shortcuts...
Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\installer\server\createshortcuts.vbs" 8.4 "postgres" 5432 "Postgres Plus Standard Server 8.4" "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS" "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\data" "postgresql-8.4"
[...]

This suggests that - it failed to start the postgresql server.
But, I would love you see -what is the output after of initcluster.vbs script.

You won't find output of initcluster.vbs, if you're using existing data directory.

--
Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise Postgres Company

Script stderr:
Program ended with an error exit code

Error running cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\8.4SS\installer\server\startserver.vbs" postgresql-8.4 : Program ended with an error exit code
[...]

Дата:
Hi Ashesh

Where would I find  initcluster.vbs ?

Bob

Found it in XP it doesn't seem to exist in Windows 7. I can't even find Doc
and Settings in 7.

It's a large file. I'm not sure what is needed but here is the latter part
of the file.

Bob

Actually I was thinking you might want to browse the file to see if anything
stands out. Most of the issues I have seen on this list relative to Windows
installs relate to permissions, so that would be a good place to start.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Installing version 8.4

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
Hi Bob,

Installer calls initcluster.vbs after creating user.
I want to know the output of that script in the log file.

--
Ashesh Vashi

EnterpriseDB INDIA: www.enterprisedb.com

Bob

Found it in XP it doesn't seem to exist in Windows 7. I can't even find Doc
and Settings in 7.

It's a large file. I'm not sure what is needed but here is the latter part
of the file.

Bob

Actually I was thinking you might want to browse the file to see if anything
stands out. Most of the issues I have seen on this list relative to Windows
installs relate to permissions, so that would be a good place to start.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Installing version 8.4

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
Hi Ashesh

Attached is the initcluster file.

At the end of the file -
"
' Secure the data directory
If IsVistaOrNewer() = True Then
    WScript.Echo "Granting service account access to the data directory (using icacls):"
    iRet = DoCmd("icacls """ & strDataDir & """ /T /C /grant:r """ & strOSUsername & """:M")
Else
    WScript.Echo "Granting service account access to the data directory (using cacls):"
    iRet = DoCmd("echo y|cacls """ & strDataDir & """ /E /T /C /G """ & strOSUsername & """:F")
End If
if iRet <> 0 Then
    Warn "Failed to grant service account access to the data directory (" & strDataDir & ")"
End If

WScript.Echo "initcluster.vbs ran to completion"
WScript.Quit iWarn  "

Bob