Обсуждение: Documentation availability as a single page of text

Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
John Gage
Дата:
Is the documentation available anywhere as a single page text file?
This would be enormously helpful for searching using regular
expressions in Vim, for example, or excerpting pieces for future
reference.

John

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

John Gage wrote:
> Is the documentation available anywhere as a single page text file?
> This would be enormously helpful for searching using regular
> expressions in Vim, for example, or excerpting pieces for future
> reference.

Uh, no, and no one has ever asked for that.  There must be some tool
that will dump an HTML tree as a single text file.

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> John Gage wrote:
> > Is the documentation available anywhere as a single page text file?
> > This would be enormously helpful for searching using regular
> > expressions in Vim, for example, or excerpting pieces for future
> > reference.
>
> Uh, no, and no one has ever asked for that.  There must be some tool
> that will dump an HTML tree as a single text file.

Or maybe convert the PDF file to text.

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
John Gage
Дата:
Converting the pdf it text is a gruesome experience on account of
numerous carriage returns that don't belong there, etc.

Converting the docbook file to plain text is a possible solution, but
I don't know exactly how to do that.  I will look into it.

The documentation, as is pointed out in approximately 20% of the
messages on the list, is extraordinary.  Plain text, ultimately, gives
the greatest access to it IMHO.

Thanks for the reply,

John

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> John Gage wrote:

> Or maybe convert the PDF file to text.

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
Geoffrey
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> John Gage wrote:
>>> Is the documentation available anywhere as a single page text file?
>>> This would be enormously helpful for searching using regular
>>> expressions in Vim, for example, or excerpting pieces for future
>>> reference.
>> Uh, no, and no one has ever asked for that.  There must be some tool
>> that will dump an HTML tree as a single text file.
>
> Or maybe convert the PDF file to text.

On Linux:

/usr/bin/pdftotext

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from John Gage's message of sáb may 08 05:06:35 -0400 2010:
> Is the documentation available anywhere as a single page text file?
> This would be enormously helpful for searching using regular
> expressions in Vim, for example, or excerpting pieces for future
> reference.

There's a texinfo output that could perhaps be useful.  Try
"make postgres.info" in the doc/src/sgml directory; while it's tagged
"experimental" and outputs a boatload of warnings, it does work for me and the
text it produces is plain enough.
--

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of lun may 10 12:01:22 -0400 2010:

> There's a texinfo output that could perhaps be useful.  Try
> "make postgres.info" in the doc/src/sgml directory; while it's tagged
> "experimental" and outputs a boatload of warnings, it does work for me and the
> text it produces is plain enough.

Ah, it's also *a lot* faster to produce than either PDF or HTML.
--

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
John Gage
Дата:
I am using the Mac and, although the Mac does not ship with this, the
Zotero add-on to Firefox includes it:

/Users/johngage/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/
m35vu1ez.default/zotero/pdftotext-MacIntel

Will try it out.  Thanks very much,

John

On May 10, 2010, at 1:58 PM, Geoffrey wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Uh, no, and no one has ever asked for that.  There must be some tool
>>> that will dump an HTML tree as a single text file.
>> Or maybe convert the PDF file to text.
>
> On Linux:
>
> /usr/bin/pdftotext
>

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
> There's a texinfo output that could perhaps be useful.  Try
> "make postgres.info" in the doc/src/sgml directory; while it's tagged
> "experimental" and outputs a boatload of warnings, it does work for me and the
> text it produces is plain enough.

It's pretty good indeed. Thanks for sharing the tip.

But it's very impractical to read any table in info format, and it's
missing an index. I guess the table format could be readable if using
the equivalent of psql's \x (1 row per column) and an empty line between
rows, but I have no idea how to do it. Ditto for indexing.

dim

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On lör, 2010-05-08 at 11:06 +0200, John Gage wrote:
> Is the documentation available anywhere as a single page text file?
> This would be enormously helpful for searching using regular
> expressions in Vim, for example, or excerpting pieces for future
> reference.

It would be pretty easy to produce a single big HTML file, if that
helps.

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
John Gage
Дата:
Yes it would.  In fact, I have often wondered why this doesn't exist.
How can I do it?

John

On May 12, 2010, at 12:14 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On lör, 2010-05-08 at 11:06 +0200, John Gage wrote:
>> Is the documentation available anywhere as a single page text file?
>> This would be enormously helpful for searching using regular
>> expressions in Vim, for example, or excerpting pieces for future
>> reference.
>
> It would be pretty easy to produce a single big HTML file, if that
> helps.

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2010-05-12 at 15:24 +0200, John Gage wrote:
> Yes it would.  In fact, I have often wondered why this doesn't exist.
> How can I do it?

cd doc/src/sgml
make html JADEFLAGS='-V nochunks -V rootchunk'

That will produce an index.html file with the entire documentation in
it.

Re: Documentation availability as a single page of text

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of jue may 13 12:10:21 -0400 2010:
> On ons, 2010-05-12 at 15:24 +0200, John Gage wrote:
> > Yes it would.  In fact, I have often wondered why this doesn't exist.
> > How can I do it?
>
> cd doc/src/sgml
> make html JADEFLAGS='-V nochunks -V rootchunk'
>
> That will produce an index.html file with the entire documentation in
> it.

Hmm, this seems a useful candidate for a new make target (assuming the
resulting HTML file can be opened with a browser, that is).