Обсуждение: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
Andre Lopes
Дата:
Hi,

I need an hosting account with PostgreSQL and PHP. I have signed an account with HostNine.com, but the PostgreSQL is the 8.1, and don't allow to create Languages and Triggers, so I can't get the website working...

Please tell me if you know a good hosting with PostgreSQL that allow Triggers and all functionalities og PostgreSQL.

Best Regards,

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
Andre Lopes
Дата:
Hi,

I have sign an account with HostNine.com, but PostgreSQL version is 8.1 and don't allow triggers... I must to change host, the web app is using triggers...

Anyone know a host that have triggers available?

Best Regards,

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM, John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> wrote:

On Feb 13, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Andre Lopes wrote:

> I need an hosting account with PostgreSQL and PHP. I have signed an account with HostNine.com, but the PostgreSQL is the 8.1, and don't allow to create Languages and Triggers, so I can't get the website working...
>
> Please tell me if you know a good hosting with PostgreSQL that allow Triggers and all functionalities og PostgreSQL.

You can find a list of hosting providers here:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_hosting

If you are looking for shared hosting, I doubt you'll find any that will let you create languages. But if you need to create triggers with SQL or pl/pgsql, that should not be a problem.

Of course, many offer VPS hosting where you could setup Postgres yourself and configure it any way you like.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Feb 13, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Andre Lopes wrote:

> I need an hosting account with PostgreSQL and PHP. I have signed an account with HostNine.com, but the PostgreSQL is
the8.1, and don't allow to create Languages and Triggers, so I can't get the website working...

> Please tell me if you know a good hosting with PostgreSQL that allow Triggers and all functionalities og PostgreSQL.

You can find a list of hosting providers here:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_hosting

If you are looking for shared hosting, I doubt you'll find any that will let you create languages. But if you need to
createtriggers with SQL or pl/pgsql, that should not be a problem.

Of course, many offer VPS hosting where you could setup Postgres yourself and configure it any way you like.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
From the list I already sent, I'm certain this one allows triggers:

http://www.a2hosting.com/database/postgresql-hosting

I can also setup such an account for you, but I can't beat their price of $5.72 a month :)

On Feb 14, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Andre Lopes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have sign an account with HostNine.com, but PostgreSQL version is 8.1 and don't allow triggers... I must to change
host,the web app is using triggers...

> Anyone know a host that have triggers available?
>

> Best Regards,
>

> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM, John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> wrote:
>
> On Feb 13, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Andre Lopes wrote:
>
> > I need an hosting account with PostgreSQL and PHP. I have signed an account with HostNine.com, but the PostgreSQL
isthe 8.1, and don't allow to create Languages and Triggers, so I can't get the website working...

> > Please tell me if you know a good hosting with PostgreSQL that allow Triggers and all functionalities og
PostgreSQL.

> You can find a list of hosting providers here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_hosting
>
> If you are looking for shared hosting, I doubt you'll find any that will let you create languages. But if you need to
createtriggers with SQL or pl/pgsql, that should not be a problem.

> Of course, many offer VPS hosting where you could setup Postgres yourself and configure it any way you like.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
"Raymond C. Rodgers"
Дата:
Yeah, I was just going to recommend them; I went through the exact same
thing a few months ago and got the same advice. HostNine looks great,
but an [very] out of date Postgres isn't very helpful. I've enjoyed A2
since I signed up, and it doesn't hurt that they're relatively local (30
miles away) for me to boot! :)

Raymond
On 02/14/2010 07:11 PM, John DeSoi wrote:
>  From the list I already sent, I'm certain this one allows triggers:
>
> http://www.a2hosting.com/database/postgresql-hosting
>
> I can also setup such an account for you, but I can't beat their price of $5.72 a month :)
>

> On Feb 14, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Andre Lopes wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have sign an account with HostNine.com, but PostgreSQL version is 8.1 and don't allow triggers... I must to change
host,the web app is using triggers...

>> Anyone know a host that have triggers available?
>>

>> Best Regards,
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM, John DeSoi<desoi@pgedit.com>  wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 13, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Andre Lopes wrote:
>>

>>> I need an hosting account with PostgreSQL and PHP. I have signed an account with HostNine.com, but the PostgreSQL
isthe 8.1, and don't allow to create Languages and Triggers, so I can't get the website working...

>>> Please tell me if you know a good hosting with PostgreSQL that allow Triggers and all functionalities og
PostgreSQL.

>> You can find a list of hosting providers here:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_hosting
>>
>> If you are looking for shared hosting, I doubt you'll find any that will let you create languages. But if you need
tocreate triggers with SQL or pl/pgsql, that should not be a problem.

>> Of course, many offer VPS hosting where you could setup Postgres yourself and configure it any way you like.
>>

> John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
Andre Lopes
Дата:
A2hosting.com supports Triggers, but in the WebHosting Plan and in the Reseller Plan the Triggers creation is not done by the user, we must send the Trigger to the support center and then they compile the Trigger...

A2hosting have also VPS Hosting, but I'am not a total expert in Linux... and
it is up to the user to keep their software up to date however...

It is secure for non experts to have VPS for hosting webapplications?

Best Regards,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, I was just going to recommend them; I went through the exact same thing a few months ago and got the same advice. HostNine looks great, but an [very] out of date Postgres isn't very helpful. I've enjoyed A2 since I signed up, and it doesn't hurt that they're relatively local (30 miles away) for me to boot! :)

Raymond

On 02/14/2010 07:11 PM, John DeSoi wrote:
 From the list I already sent, I'm certain this one allows triggers:

[...]

CLUSTER on 2 indexes ?

От
Joao Ferreira gmail
Дата:
Hello,

Considering the CLUSTER operation on a frequently updated table, if I
have 2 indexes on the table how do I choose one of them ? or is it
possible to have CLUSTER take both into consideration...

my table is read from based on two columns: a 'timestamp' integer column
(actually a UTC integer timestamp) and a text columun called 'var' that
separates raw data from each other... something like a 'product type' in
a wharehouse example.

All queries that read from the table specify a time range and also the
'product type'. I have indexes on both.

Evidently no CLUSTERing should be worse than clustering on any of them,
but is there a way to have the two or choose the most profitable ?

thanks
Joao

Re: CLUSTER on 2 indexes ?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Joao Ferreira gmail
<joao.miguel.c.ferreira@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Considering the CLUSTER operation on a frequently updated table, if I
> have 2 indexes on the table how do I choose one of them ? or is it
> possible to have CLUSTER take both into consideration...

You could have a multi-column index

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Feb 15, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Andre Lopes wrote:

> A2hosting.com supports Triggers, but in the WebHosting Plan and in the Reseller Plan the Triggers creation is not
doneby the user, we must send the Trigger to the support center and then they compile the Trigger...

Where did you hear this? I have a reseller account and I have created many triggers using pl/pgsql. Are you wanting to
createtriggers with C or some other language that requires superuser access?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
Andre Lopes
Дата:
Hi,

I have talk with the support. Here is the conversation:

[quote]
Matt T. - A2 Hosting Support: Hello, how may I help you today?
André Lopes: I need to know if a2hosting allows Trigger creation in PostgreSQL databases
Matt T. - A2 Hosting Support: Yes but our admins would need to create them for you via a support ticket
[/quote]

Maybe is for new customers. I will talk again with the support.

Thanks.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM, John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> wrote:

On Feb 15, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Andre Lopes wrote:

> A2hosting.com supports Triggers, but in the WebHosting Plan and in the Reseller Plan the Triggers creation is not done by the user, we must send the Trigger to the support center and then they compile the Trigger...

Where did you hear this? I have a reseller account and I have created many triggers using pl/pgsql. Are you wanting to create triggers with C or some other language that requires superuser access?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
Andre Lopes
Дата:
I have contacted again the support center on a2hosting.com and the answer was that is no manual creation of triggers on PostgreSQL, bu the guy have send to me a link with MySQL information about the subject, https://support.a2hosting.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=500

There are more a2hosting customers here that can create Triggers?

Best Regards,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I have talk with the support. Here is the conversation:

[quote]
Matt T. - A2 Hosting Support: Hello, how may I help you today?
André Lopes: I need to know if a2hosting allows Trigger creation in PostgreSQL databases
Matt T. - A2 Hosting Support: Yes but our admins would need to create them for you via a support ticket
[/quote]

Maybe is for new customers. I will talk again with the support.

Thanks.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM, John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> wrote:

On Feb 15, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Andre Lopes wrote:

> A2hosting.com supports Triggers, but in the WebHosting Plan and in the Reseller Plan the Triggers creation is not done by the user, we must send the Trigger to the support center and then they compile the Trigger...

Where did you hear this? I have a reseller account and I have created many triggers using pl/pgsql. Are you wanting to create triggers with C or some other language that requires superuser access?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
Allan Kamau
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have contacted again the support center on a2hosting.com and the answer
> was that is no manual creation of triggers on PostgreSQL, bu the guy have
> send to me a link with MySQL information about the subject,
> https://support.a2hosting.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=500
>
> There are more a2hosting customers here that can create Triggers?
>

> Best Regards,
>

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have talk with the support. Here is the conversation:
>>
>> [quote]
>> Matt T. - A2 Hosting Support: Hello, how may I help you today?
>> André Lopes: I need to know if a2hosting allows Trigger creation in
>> PostgreSQL databases
>> Matt T. - A2 Hosting Support: Yes but our admins would need to create them
>> for you via a support ticket
>> [/quote]
>>
>> Maybe is for new customers. I will talk again with the support.
>>
>> Thanks.

>>> Where did you hear this? I have a reseller account and I have created
>>> many triggers using pl/pgsql. Are you wanting to create triggers with C or
>>> some other language that requires superuser access?
>>>

>>> John DeSoi, Ph.D.

I have hosted with eApps (http://www.eapps.com/) for a while, they
employ the virtual machine concept using parallels. The developer
category of service plan may you get a "machine" and you get to be
root. PostgreSQL, PHP, Java (including application containers such as
Tomcat and JBoss) and so on are available. I find them reasonably
priced. On the linux server they give you you may further
install/build an software of your choice including maybe another
instance of the latest PostgreSQL.

Allan.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> wrote:
> A2hosting.com supports Triggers, but in the WebHosting Plan and in the
> Reseller Plan the Triggers creation is not done by the user, we must send
> the Trigger to the support center and then they compile the Trigger...
>
> A2hosting have also VPS Hosting, but I'am not a total expert in Linux... and
> it is up to the user to keep their software up to date however...
>
> It is secure for non experts to have VPS for hosting webapplications?

As long as you keep your machine reasonably up to date you should be
ok.  And keep off-site backups of course, but that's true no matter
whether you use managed or virtual machine hosting.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Andre Lopes wrote:
> It is secure for non experts to have VPS for hosting webapplications?

frankly, its not secure to have non-experts posting PHP, never mind
anything else.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Andre Lopes wrote:
>>
>> It is secure for non experts to have VPS for hosting webapplications?
>
> frankly, its not secure to have non-experts posting PHP, never mind anything
> else.

Just remove the PHP and you're closer to the truth there.  PHP isn't
the problem, non-security minded coders are.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:23 PM, Andre Lopes wrote:

> I have contacted again the support center on a2hosting.com and the answer was that is no manual creation of triggers
onPostgreSQL, bu the guy have send to me a link with MySQL information about the
subject,https://support.a2hosting.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=500

> There are more a2hosting customers here that can create Triggers?

My guess is that the support person does not know what they are talking about. Unless something is different for new
accounts,you have psql access to your databases. You also have access via phpPgAdmin which can create functions and
triggers.Your account user owns the databases you create, so I don't see how they can prevent you from creating
triggers.

They have a 30 day money back guarantee, so it might be worth trying out.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

Дата:
John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> writes:
> On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:23 PM, Andre Lopes wrote:
>> I have contacted again the support center on a2hosting.com and the answer was that is no manual creation of triggers
onPostgreSQL, bu the guy have send to me a link with MySQL information about the
subject,https://support.a2hosting.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=500

>> There are more a2hosting customers here that can create Triggers?

> My guess is that the support person does not know what they are
> talking about.

Yeah, it certainly gives off a vibe of "doesn't know Postgres and isn't
interested in learning".

It's possible that what they give you is databases without any PLs
installed, and without either superuser or database owner privileges so
you can't install PLs yourself.  In which case it'd be true that you
can't create any triggers either, but that would hardly be the first
reason why such a setup wouldn't be very acceptable.  Seems more
likely that you just have a clueless support person.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

От
Tommy Gildseth
Дата:
Andre Lopes wrote:
> I have contacted again the support center on a2hosting.com
> <http://a2hosting.com> and the answer was that is no manual creation of
> triggers on PostgreSQL, bu the guy have send to me a link with MySQL
> information about the subject,
> https://support.a2hosting.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=500
> <https://support.a2hosting.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=500>
>
> There are more a2hosting customers here that can create Triggers?

This gives me the feeling that the support center doesn't know what
they're talking about, and thinks Postgres works the same way as MySQL,
where you do indeed have to be an administrator to create triggers.

--
Tommy Gildseth
DBA, Gruppe for databasedrift