Обсуждение: type of field

type of field

От
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Дата:
Hi list,

I've got to store many small videos; to make things simple (backup/restore,
because users don't know very much about IT) I've choosen BYTEA + EXTERNAL,
is it the right choice?

JY
--
Wait for that wisest of all counselors, Time.
-- Pericles

Re: type of field

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Jean-Yves F. Barbier <12ukwn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got to store many small videos; to make things simple (backup/restore,
> because users don't know very much about IT) I've choosen BYTEA + EXTERNAL,
> is it the right choice?

If you want to store them in the database then yes, that sounds right to me.

The debate over whether to store things like this in the database or
outside won't be resolved on this thread but you should be aware of
the pros and cons of each method. It sounds like you've done some
research already.

--
greg

Re: type of field

От
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Дата:
Greg Stark a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Jean-Yves F. Barbier <12ukwn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've got to store many small videos; to make things simple (backup/restore,
>> because users don't know very much about IT) I've choosen BYTEA + EXTERNAL,
>> is it the right choice?
>
> If you want to store them in the database then yes, that sounds right to me.
>
> The debate over whether to store things like this in the database or
> outside won't be resolved on this thread but you should be aware of
> the pros and cons of each method. It sounds like you've done some
> research already.

Yeah, you're right: dunno wanna feed the Troll :)

I choosed this solution because people are only users, they can't afford
a full time admin & they can't loose many time in complicated procedures,
so the backup/restore procedure must stay as simple as possible on big tapes.

BTW, for my own knowledge, could you point me to pages that describes
out-of-db big blobs (>5GB) link/unlink & store/wipe to/from DB?

Thanks.
--
"Benson, you are so free of the ravages of intelligence"
        -- Time Bandits