Обсуждение: performance tuning on Vista problem

performance tuning on Vista problem

От
Murray Richardson
Дата:
Hello postgres community,

I am running postgresql 8.3 on Vista 64 and trying to do some
performance tuning to make better use of my system resources.  Anytime I
make any changes to the postgresql.conf file, I cannot connect to the
server - I get a "Server Doesn't Listen" error.  I also tried via the
Enterprise Tuning Wizard and I get the same problem.  I have to
reinstall postgres to get things working again.  I suspect this is a
permission issue in Vista but I am not sure how to proceed.  I would
appreciate any advice or insight into this.

Thanks!

Murray

Re: performance tuning on Vista problem

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On May 23, 2009, at 3:55 AM, Murray Richardson wrote:

> Hello postgres community,
>
> I am running postgresql 8.3 on Vista 64 and trying to do some
> performance tuning to make better use of my system resources.
> Anytime I make any changes to the postgresql.conf file, I cannot
> connect to the server - I get a "Server Doesn't Listen" error.  I
> also tried via the Enterprise Tuning Wizard and I get the same
> problem.  I have to reinstall postgres to get things working again.
> I suspect this is a permission issue in Vista but I am not sure how
> to proceed.  I would appreciate any advice or insight into this.

Yes, that's probably a permission issue.

I recall someone with the same issue recently and I believe this was
caused because that person didn't edit the postgresql files as the
postgres user or didn't restart the service as that user. This caused
files needed by postgres not to be accessible by the postgres user,
which displayed the behaviour you describe above.

I don't know the details, I rarely even use Windows, but this is what
I remember.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4a17c59d10091254110353!