Обсуждение: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote:

> which reminds me, of my favourite recent quote:
> "Think I'll go fix this while I'm watching the football game ..."

We really need a favorite Tom Lane quotes thread.  Mine is (roughly):

We don't support that, but you're free to try it, you just get to keep
both pieces if it breaks.

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

Дата:
"Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> We really need a favorite Tom Lane quotes thread.  Mine is (roughly):

> We don't support that, but you're free to try it, you just get to keep
> both pieces if it breaks.

Hate to disillusion you, but that's a standard comment around Red Hat.
I have no idea who said it first, but twasn't me.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
justin
Tom Lane wrote:
"Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
We really need a favorite Tom Lane quotes thread.  Mine is (roughly):

We don't support that, but you're free to try it, you just get to keep
both pieces if it breaks.
Hate to disillusion you, but that's a standard comment around Red Hat.
I have no idea who said it first, but twasn't me.
i took this off Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Lane_(Open_Source_Software_Developer)

On idiotic benchmark comparisons "Try to carry 500 people from Los Angeles to Tokyo in an F-15. No? Try to win a dogfight in a 747. No? But they both fly, so it must be useful to compare them... especially on the basis of the most simplistic test case you can think of. For extra points, use *only one* test case. Perhaps this paper can be described as "comparing an F-15 to a 747 on the basis of required runway length

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Tom on things that might ruin his tape backups:

"Then of course there are the *other* risks, such as the place burning to
the ground, or getting drowned by a break in the city reservoir that's a
couple hundred yards up the hill...Or maybe being burgled by Oracle
employees who are specifically after my backup tapes."

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 00:37 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> Tom on things that might ruin his tape backups:
>
> "Then of course there are the *other* risks, such as the place burning to
> the ground, or getting drowned by a break in the city reservoir that's a
> couple hundred yards up the hill...Or maybe being burgled by Oracle
> employees who are specifically after my backup tapes."

What is a tape?

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 00:37 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
>> Tom on things that might ruin his tape backups:
>>
>> "Then of course there are the *other* risks, such as the place burning to
>> the ground, or getting drowned by a break in the city reservoir that's a
>> couple hundred yards up the hill...Or maybe being burgled by Oracle
>> employees who are specifically after my backup tapes."
>
> What is a tape?

Apparently something to do with backups.  But I don't know what those
are either... :-P

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
"Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz"
Дата:
Apparently something to do with backups.  But I don't know what those
are either... :-P

well, we're all waiting for built in replication ;)

About the tapes, I love that Oracle emps bit :D
Sure, they write too much java code, this is equivalent of getting high on h, if you ask me.

--
GJ

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Klint Gore
Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 00:37 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> >> Tom on things that might ruin his tape backups:
> >>
> >> "Then of course there are the *other* risks, such as the place burning to
> >> the ground, or getting drowned by a break in the city reservoir that's a
> >> couple hundred yards up the hill...Or maybe being burgled by Oracle
> >> employees who are specifically after my backup tapes."
> >
> > What is a tape?
>
> Apparently something to do with backups.  But I don't know what those
> are either... :-P

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
hurtling down the highway." —Tanenbaum, Andrew S. (1996). Computer
Networks. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 83. ISBN 0-13-349945-6.

A modern chrysler town and country(1) has a cargo capacity of 140.1
cubic feet(2) letting it carry 17163 LTO4 (3) tapes at 800GB each.
Thats 13730TB. Say it has to get from San Francisco to LA (about 6 hrs
according to google maps directions(4)), that gives 2288TB/hour,  or 5.1
terabit/second.

klint.

1. its more of a minivan than a station wagon these days but close
enough.  halve the number of tapes if you're thinking of the classic
"woodie" http://www.allpar.com/old/townandcountry.html
2.
http://www.chrysler.com/hostc/vsmc/vehicleSpecModels.do?modelYearCode=CUC200908
3. dimensions from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open
4.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=san+francisco&daddr=los+angeles&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.598104,116.542969&ie=UTF8&ll=35.939855,-120.330885&spn=7.601811,14.567871&z=7

--
Klint Gore
Database Manager

Ph: 02 6773 3789
Fax: 02 6773 3266
EMail: kgore4@une.edu.au

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Zoltan Boszormenyi
Klint Gore írta:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Joshua D. Drake
>> <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>> burning to
>> that's a
>> >
>> > What is a tape?
>>
>> Apparently something to do with backups.  But I don't know what those
>> are either... :-P
>>

> "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
> hurtling down the highway." —Tanenbaum, Andrew S. (1996). Computer
> Networks. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 83. ISBN 0-13-349945-6.

But the latency of a truck is awful :-)

> A modern chrysler town and country(1) has a cargo capacity of 140.1
> cubic feet(2) letting it carry 17163 LTO4 (3) tapes at 800GB each.
> Thats 13730TB. Say it has to get from San Francisco to LA (about 6 hrs
> according to google maps directions(4)), that gives 2288TB/hour,  or
> 5.1 terabit/second.
>
> klint.
>
> 1. its more of a minivan than a station wagon these days but close
> enough.  halve the number of tapes if you're thinking of the classic
> "woodie" http://www.allpar.com/old/townandcountry.html
> 2.
> http://www.chrysler.com/hostc/vsmc/vehicleSpecModels.do?modelYearCode=CUC200908
>
> 3. dimensions from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open
> 4.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=san+francisco&daddr=los+angeles&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.598104,116.542969&ie=UTF8&ll=35.939855,-120.330885&spn=7.601811,14.567871&z=7

--
----------------------------------
Zoltán Böszörményi

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
"Picavet Vincent"
Дата:
Hi,

> "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of
> tapes hurtling down the highway." -Tanenbaum, Andrew S.
> (1996). Computer Networks. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 83.
> ISBN 0-13-349945-6.
>
> A modern chrysler town and country(1) has a cargo capacity of
> 140.1 cubic feet(2) letting it carry 17163 LTO4 (3) tapes at
> 800GB each.
> Thats 13730TB. Say it has to get from San Francisco to LA
> (about 6 hrs according to google maps directions(4)), that
> gives 2288TB/hour,  or 5.1 terabit/second.

That seems to be kind of a joke, but I heard that the french CNES (spatial agency) is doing some huge database
replicationbetween two sites thanks to big trucks carrying the data once a month, because current network devices
transferrates do not allow them to do remote replication through the network. Or maybe the reasons to this method are
notonly technical but economical.
I have no detailed information on this, and it's more a rumour than a verified information, but should somebody know
moreon the subject, i'd be interested in hearing it.

Vincent

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
"Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz"
Дата:
That seems to be kind of a joke, but I heard that the french CNES (spatial agency) is doing some huge database replication between two sites thanks to big trucks carrying the data once a month, because current network devices transfer rates do not allow them to do remote replication through the network. Or maybe the reasons to this method are not only technical but economical.
I have no detailed information on this, and it's more a rumour than a verified information, but should somebody know more on the subject, i'd be interested in hearing it.

but than you have to add cost of backing up and restoring labour time, and that's going to be a massive latency - if you ask me.

--
GJ

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 22:51 -0500, justin wrote:

> On idiotic benchmark comparisons "Try to carry 500 people from Los
> Angeles to Tokyo in an F-15. No? Try to win a dogfight in a 747. No?
> But they both fly, so it must be useful to compare them... especially
> on the basis of the most simplistic test case you can think of. For
> extra points, use *only one* test case. Perhaps this paper can be
> described as "comparing an F-15 to a 747 on the basis of required
> runway length

We used that analogy for comparing database benchmarks as far back as
1989-90 at Teradata. My memory is it was invented to counter claims that
DB2 "was faster" after some disastrous initial benchmark results while
attempting a straight database migration. The contrast was that the
client/server overhead of each request *was* higher, though the parallel
database could perform actions much faster when it eventually got
started. The original analogy was a comparison of the passenger carrying
capacity, since a jet fighter could only carry ~1 person while the
airliner could carry 100s, yet the jet fighter could obviously deliver 1
person much faster to a destination. (At the time, the concept of
client/server was widely laughed at). Joke -> Threat -> Obvious.

That thought led to the development at BA of a system specifically
designed to offload large SQL queries from the mainframe DB2 system. BA
knew how to judge database systems and use them for what they were good
at. (They continued to use TPF also, because of its speed of hash index
implementation, amongst other optimisations).

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:

>> What is a tape?
>
> Apparently something to do with backups.  But I don't know what those
> are either... :-P

 From The Top Of My Head Dictionary -

Backup Tapes
noun
Thin flimsy strip of plastic with a fine coating of iron oxide or
similar compound which is then wound up around a small plastic wheel,
stretched over a little head and onto another small plastic wheel.
Normally used as a means of translating digital computer talk into an
ear piercing noise that humans can then listen to to ensure that the
computers aren't plotting to overthrow the earth.

Legend has it that computers can use these tapes to reconstruct some
piece of information as it was at some historic moment. While it has
often been attempted to prove that this process is possible, the mixed
reports about it's success leave most in doubt as to whether it can
really be done and believing it is all just mythology.

Of course the true believers will argue endlessly about the wonders of
what can be done and how important it is, but they tend to have a low
conversion rate among the listeners.

;-)

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
>> We really need a favorite Tom Lane quotes thread.  Mine is (roughly):
>
>> We don't support that, but you're free to try it, you just get to keep
>> both pieces if it breaks.
>
> Hate to disillusion you, but that's a standard comment around Red Hat.
> I have no idea who said it first, but twasn't me.

There's a license that has that as its main clause.  See the end of
the document..

   http://man.he.net/man8/chat

An authoritative source for the original seems to have evaporated, but
here's a direct "inheritor" implemented in Expect:
  http://expect.nist.gov/scripts/chat

A quick web search indicates that ucLinux seems to include "old style
chat" as also does DragonflyBSD...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'linuxdatabases.info';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/linux.html

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Mark Roberts
Дата:
On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 10:40 +0000, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> but than you have to add cost of backing up and restoring labour time,
> and that's going to be a massive latency - if you ask me.

Of course it is, but really latency probably isn't the key issue - more
that the data itself isn't lost.

-Mark

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
2008/12/1 Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> which reminds me, of my favourite recent quote:
>> "Think I'll go fix this while I'm watching the football game ..."
>
> We really need a favorite Tom Lane quotes thread.  Mine is (roughly):

We have a little joke here in the office.  Really, really bad code is
'horrid'. :-)

merlin

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 01 December 2008 22:09:08 Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > which reminds me, of my favourite recent quote:
> > "Think I'll go fix this while I'm watching the football game ..."
>
> We really need a favorite Tom Lane quotes thread.  Mine is (roughly):

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-04/msg00288.php
I remember after reading this post wondering whether Tom uses caffeinated
soap...

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
"Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz"
Дата:
2008/12/4 Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-04/msg00288.php
> I remember after reading this post wondering whether Tom uses caffeinated
> soap...

well, some ppl come up with ideas on wc-thone ;) What do you suggest
they do there ... ;>

--
GJ

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/4 Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-04/msg00288.php
>> I remember after reading this post wondering whether Tom uses caffeinated
>> soap...
>>

> well, some ppl come up with ideas on wc-thone ;) What do you suggest
> they do there ... ;>

One of my favorite tinwhistle tunes is named Dusty Windowsill.  It's
so named because Johnny Harling (sp?) was sitting on the toilet when
the tune came to him, and having nothing else to write on, he wrote it
out on a dusty windowsill.

Genius strikes when it strikes.  I've woken up at two in the morning
with the answer to a complex programming problem at work, grabbed my
laptop, pounded out a hundred or so lines, then spent the next two
days trying to figure out how it worked.

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 10:47 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-04/msg00288.php
> I remember after reading this post wondering whether Tom uses
> caffeinated soap

My RHCE course book is still at WC -- I read it on some days ;)

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Вложения

Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

От
Mark Morgan Lloyd
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-04/msg00288.php
> I remember after reading this post wondering whether Tom uses caffeinated
> soap...

Reading that link, I'm reminded of the "tertiary storage" code that
somebody (at UCB?) grafted onto the PostgreSQL server. IIRC There were
still hooks for it in v6 although they've since been removed.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk