Обсуждение: PDF Documentation for 8.3?

PDF Documentation for 8.3?

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Hello,

I am using Debian GNU/Linux Etch with PostgreSQL 8.1.11  and  since  the
next release of Debian will use 8.3 I  am  searching  for  documentation
which can be print out...

Ma last Printed version was "Practical PostgreSQL" from  O'Reilly  which
cover only 7.4.

I was searching the site but there are no PDF's for 8.3 in format A4  or
do I missing something?

Note:   The american "Letter" format sucks, because I am printing
        two A4 pages on ONE A4 side and with the "Letter"  format
        I get very huge borders...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Вложения

Re: PDF Documentation for 8.3?

От
Kevin Hunter
Дата:
At 2:56pm -0400 on Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> I was searching the site but there are no PDF's for 8.3 in format A4  or
> do I missing something?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

Hmm, this page seems to advertise both US Letter and A4.  A cursory
inspection suggests that the A4 document at least has larger pages and
less of them ...

Kevin

Re: PDF Documentation for 8.3?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Kevin Hunter wrote:
> At 2:56pm -0400 on Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> I was searching the site but there are no PDF's for 8.3 in format A4  or
>> do I missing something?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
>
> Hmm, this page seems to advertise both US Letter and A4.  A cursory
> inspection suggests that the A4 document at least has larger pages and
> less of them ...

First, I have been drinking so if this sounds stupid, blame the vodka
:). Second, A4 is larger than letter so it would have less pages would
it not?

Joshua D. Drake

> Kevin

Re: PDF Documentation for 8.3?

От
Sven Marcel Buchholz
Дата:
Michelle Konzack schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Debian GNU/Linux Etch with PostgreSQL 8.1.11  and  since  the
> next release of Debian will use 8.3 I  am  searching  for  documentation
> which can be print out...
>
> Ma last Printed version was "Practical PostgreSQL" from  O'Reilly  which
> cover only 7.4.
>
> I was searching the site but there are no PDF's for 8.3 in format A4  or
> do I missing something?
>
> Note:   The american "Letter" format sucks, because I am printing
>         two A4 pages on ONE A4 side and with the "Letter"  format
>         I get very huge borders...
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>     Michelle Konzack
>     Systemadministrator
>     24V Electronic Engineer
>     Tamay Dogan Network
>     Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Hello,
what is wrong with this PDF?
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/8.3/postgresql-8.3-A4.pdf

Greetings from Berlin
Sven Marcel Buchholz

Re: PDF Documentation for 8.3?

От
Kevin Hunter
Дата:
At 1:50am -0400 on Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Kevin Hunter wrote:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
>>
>> Hmm, this page seems to advertise both US Letter and A4.  A cursory
>> inspection suggests that the A4 document at least has larger pages and
>> less of them ...
>
> First, I have been drinking so if this sounds stupid, blame the vodka
> :). Second, A4 is larger than letter so it would have less pages would
> it not?

Exactly.  :-)  Just proposing that the A4 size was -- in fact -- A4, and
not US Letter set on a larger page.

Kevin

Re: PDF Documentation for 8.3?

От
Reg Me Please
Дата:
NOthing bad, except that a number of tables are actually unreadable and some
code example lines are going past the right margin.
Apart of this, I would say it's great documentation.

On Sunday 21 September 2008 11:52:44 Sven Marcel Buchholz wrote:
> Michelle Konzack schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using Debian GNU/Linux Etch with PostgreSQL 8.1.11  and  since  the
> > next release of Debian will use 8.3 I  am  searching  for  documentation
> > which can be print out...
> >
> > Ma last Printed version was "Practical PostgreSQL" from  O'Reilly  which
> > cover only 7.4.
> >
> > I was searching the site but there are no PDF's for 8.3 in format A4  or
> > do I missing something?
> >
> > Note:   The american "Letter" format sucks, because I am printing
> >         two A4 pages on ONE A4 side and with the "Letter"  format
> >         I get very huge borders...
> >
> > Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
> >     Michelle Konzack
> >     Systemadministrator
> >     24V Electronic Engineer
> >     Tamay Dogan Network
> >     Debian GNU/Linux Consultant
>
> Hello,
> what is wrong with this PDF?
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/8.3/postgresql-8.3-A4.pdf
>
> Greetings from Berlin
> Sven Marcel Buchholz

Re: PDF Documentation for 8.3?

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 08:56:50PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Note:   The american "Letter" format sucks, because I am printing
>         two A4 pages on ONE A4 side and with the "Letter"  format
>         I get very huge borders...

I find the psnup command (part of psutils) useful here, I tend to use:

  pdftops file.pdf - | psnup -2 -b-20 -m20 > file.ps

To print two pages per side and expand them so there's less wasted
space; the 20 is the size of the border.

I had a good look for tools that would run through the document to
automatically find the real paper size and scale it appropriately, but
couldn't find anything maybe a year ago.  If anyone knows of anything
like this I'd be glad to know!

  Sam

Re: PDF Documentation for 8.3?

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2008-09-21 11:52:44, schrieb Sven Marcel Buchholz:
> Hello,
> what is wrong with this PDF?
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/8.3/postgresql-8.3-A4.pdf

I was not able to download ANY PDFs

I am sitting here @home behind my TP570 and  I  am  connected  over  GSM
(Bouygues Telecom) to the Internet and if I klick  the  PDF  links,  the
conection timed out.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Вложения

Re: PDF Documentation for 8.3?

От
Kevin Hunter
Дата:
At 4:12am -0400 on Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/8.3/postgresql-8.3-A4.pdf
>
> I was not able to download ANY PDFs
>
> I am sitting here @home behind my TP570 and  I  am  connected  over  GSM
> (Bouygues Telecom) to the Internet and if I klick  the  PDF  links,  the
> conection timed out.

Hmm, it works splendidly here (Chapel Hill, NC).  I wonder if it's too
large for your particular network setup?  It's more than 16 MB.  Do you
have another network connection you could try?

You also might try getting it in chunks.  I've found the 'wget -c <url>'
(or curl --continue) paradigm invaluable for downloading large files
over slow, inconsistent, or otherwise flaky networks.

Kevin