Обсуждение: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Andreas
Дата:
Hi,

I compiled the latest and greatest PG server on SUSE systems until now.

Now I want to stay with the "official" binaries of the Debian project
because I plan to evaluate if it is really that good for a server as
everybody is telling me.
It should get a server with only the minimum of programs that don't
belong to the dedicated task, like in this case "run a PG server".
Especially I don't want any development stuff like gcc on this server
for security reasons. So I can't build it myself - at least not with
this box.

BTW ... the Debian installer had an anonymous option "SQL server" and
installed PostgreSQL 8.1.8 as default without further question. This is
cool because I - being a known pessimistic - expected to find MySQL.   ;-)

Do you know where I find PG 8.2.4 and pgAdmin 1.6.3 binaries for Debian
4.0.x ?

regards
Andreas

Re: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 18:09 +0200, Andreas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compiled the latest and greatest PG server on SUSE systems until now.
>
> Now I want to stay with the "official" binaries of the Debian project
> because I plan to evaluate if it is really that good for a server as
> everybody is telling me.
> It should get a server with only the minimum of programs that don't
> belong to the dedicated task, like in this case "run a PG server".
> Especially I don't want any development stuff like gcc on this server
> for security reasons. So I can't build it myself - at least not with
> this box.
>
> BTW ... the Debian installer had an anonymous option "SQL server" and
> installed PostgreSQL 8.1.8 as default without further question. This is
> cool because I - being a known pessimistic - expected to find MySQL.   ;-)
>
> Do you know where I find PG 8.2.4 and pgAdmin 1.6.3 binaries for Debian
> 4.0.x ?

You can get postgresql-8.2.4 from unstable, which is probably the best
place to get it.

pgAdmin is client software -- why would you want it on a dedicated
postgresql server?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Brent Wood
Andreas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compiled the latest and greatest PG server on SUSE systems until now.
>
> Now I want to stay with the "official" binaries of the Debian project
> because I plan to evaluate if it is really that good for a server as
> everybody is telling me.
> It should get a server with only the minimum of programs that don't
> belong to the dedicated task, like in this case "run a PG server".
> Especially I don't want any development stuff like gcc on this server
> for security reasons. So I can't build it myself - at least not with
> this box.
>
> BTW ... the Debian installer had an anonymous option "SQL server" and
> installed PostgreSQL 8.1.8 as default without further question. This
> is cool because I - being a known pessimistic - expected to find
> MySQL.   ;-)
>
> Do you know where I find PG 8.2.4 and pgAdmin 1.6.3 binaries for
> Debian 4.0.x ?
Hi Andreas,

I have spent the last couple of weeks looking at Debian 4 as a GIS
workstation using PostGIS, GRASS, GEOS, GDAL/OGR, Proj.4, QGIS, etc. I
figured it was worth a look because I'd heard so many good things about
apt vs yast for package management & the Debian GIS group is realy
trying to provide a good GIS capability in this distro.

I don't really wanna get into distro wars, so this is simply my opinion,
but I had lots of issues with Debian, especially in that I needed some
of the latest versions of several packages, which I built from source
anyway, just as on Suse. I am currently using OpenSuse, but also
use/have used Ubuntu, Mandriva, Kubuntu, Fedora, SLED & SimplyMepis so
I'm not too fixated on any particular distro, just use what seems
easiest for me at the time.

It was great having pretty recent versions of GRASS, PostGIS, etc
installed & working very easily, but they weren't the versions I needed,
I  tried Ubuntu & simplyMepis to see if the setup tools, etc, made
things easier, but these were not compatible with the Debian
repositories anyway (kernel panics on trying to start after auto updates).

I've gone back to OpenSuse 10.2, as I don't see YAST package management
as very different to apt, the number of supported packages is certainly
much less, but it just works better for me.

As far as a GIS workstation is concerned, I'd say that if you need to
build from source to get current versions, Debian has no real
advantages. If you want to get something working quickly & easily, but
don't need the latest vesrions, Debian works well.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood

Re: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 8. Mai 2007 18:09 schrieb Andreas:
> Do you know where I find PG 8.2.4 and pgAdmin 1.6.3 binaries for Debian
> 4.0.x ?

Right now you can't, at least not from official or semiofficial sources.  I
expect in a few weeks time, backports will show up on backports.org.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Hannes Dorbath
Дата:
On 09.05.2007 10:43, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Right now you can't, at least not from official or semiofficial sources.  I
> expect in a few weeks time, backports will show up on backports.org.

.. and this is what people consider `stable' then? Hacked versions of
applications somehow made to work with outdated libs :)

Hannes Dorbath

Re: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
Le mardi 08 mai 2007, Andreas a écrit :
> Do you know where I find PG 8.2.4 and pgAdmin 1.6.3 binaries for Debian
> 4.0.x ?

For server-side debian stable, you can build yourself the package by simply
following those steps :
 1. have your deb-src line (from /etc/apt/sources.list) point to sid
 2. apt-get update
 3. apt-get build-dep postgresql-8.2
 4. apt-get source -b postgresql-8.2

Then install postgresql-common package, for debian postgresql scripts
(as /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.2 and /usr/bin/{psql,pg_dump,...}).
 5. apt-get install postgresql-common

Then you install the wanted .deb files with dpkg -i, including libpq5_8.2*deb,
all in a single command line:
 6. dpkg -i ...

On the client side, simply add this following source :
# pgadmin3 1.6.x
deb ftp://ftp3.fr.postgresql.org//pub/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
testing pgadmin

Then apt-get update and apt-get install pgadmin3.

dim

Re: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Le mardi 08 mai 2007, Andreas a écrit :
> > Do you know where I find PG 8.2.4 and pgAdmin 1.6.3 binaries for Debian
> > 4.0.x ?
>
> For server-side debian stable, you can build yourself the package by simply
> following those steps :
>  1. have your deb-src line (from /etc/apt/sources.list) point to sid
>  2. apt-get update
>  3. apt-get build-dep postgresql-8.2
>  4. apt-get source -b postgresql-8.2
>
> Then install postgresql-common package, for debian postgresql scripts
> (as /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.2 and /usr/bin/{psql,pg_dump,...}).
>  5. apt-get install postgresql-common
>
> Then you install the wanted .deb files with dpkg -i, including libpq5_8.2*deb,
> all in a single command line:
>  6. dpkg -i ...
>
> On the client side, simply add this following source :
> # pgadmin3 1.6.x
> deb ftp://ftp3.fr.postgresql.org//pub/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
> testing pgadmin
>
> Then apt-get update and apt-get install pgadmin3.

I tried it here and it didn't work because it only has packages for
i386, and my system is amd64.  However, I got it by source with

deb-src ftp://ftp3.fr.postgresql.org//pub/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian testing pgadmin
aptitude update
apt-get build-dep pgadmin3
apt-get source -b pgadmin3
dpkg -i pgadmin...deb

Took about three minutes of my time, a bit more of machine time.
It automatically downloaded wxWidgets, configured and compiled
everything and I got pgadmin installed on my system for the first time.
Yay!  Thanks Dimitri.

Re: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: PG on Debian 4.0.x ?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 05/09/07 09:13, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > I tried it here and it didn't work because it only has packages for
> > i386, and my system is amd64.  However, I got it by source with
>
> Your build environment is somehow broken.
>
> The same deb-src should build locally-hostable binaries, since
> that's what your local gcc creates.

It's not broken, you just misread what I said.  I _was_ able to create
the binary packages.  The binary repo for pgadmin3 only has i386 binaries.