Обсуждение: STDERR vs. SYSLOG logging

STDERR vs. SYSLOG logging

От
Kevin Kempter
Дата:
Hi List;

Anyone have any thoughts per which logging method (SYSLOG vs STDERR) is the
better approach ?

Thanks in advance...

Re: STDERR vs. SYSLOG logging

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 09:12 -0600, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> Anyone have any thoughts per which logging method (SYSLOG vs STDERR) is the
> better approach ?

One isn't better or worse than the other. Where are you able to see the
logs more easily? STDERR can be redirected to log files via
postgresql.conf, and rotated. If you'd rather use what syslog has to
offer, use that.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: STDERR vs. SYSLOG logging

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 09:12:41AM -0600, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> Anyone have any thoughts per which logging method (SYSLOG vs STDERR)
> is the better approach ?
>
> Thanks in advance...

I prefer syslog because those logs are better suited for processing by
pgfouine and tools like it :)

Cheers,
David.
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: STDERR vs. SYSLOG logging

От
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Дата:
On 5/2/07, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> I prefer syslog because those logs are better suited for processing by
> pgfouine and tools like it :)
I prefer syslog-ng because I can send the logs of to a
central log-host using tcp ... :)

Cheers,
Andrej