Обсуждение: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Leon Pu
Дата:
Hi all,

I found the newest PostgreSQL binary download on Redhat Advance Server
2.1 is version 7.4.7.

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/OLD/v7.4.7/rpms/redhat/rhel-es-2.1/

But I want to install newer PostgreSQL in Redhat Advance Server 2.1, at
least version 8.0.4.

Any possibility to install 8.0.4 or newer PostgreSQL?

Best regards,
Leon

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 07:52 -0800, Leon Pu wrote:

> I found the newest PostgreSQL binary download on Redhat Advance Server
> 2.1 is version 7.4.7.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/OLD/v7.4.7/rpms/redhat/rhel-es-2.1/
>
> But I want to install newer PostgreSQL in Redhat Advance Server 2.1, at
> least version 8.0.4.
>
> Any possibility to install 8.0.4 or newer PostgreSQL?

None of the RPM package builders have a box running RHEL 2.1, and we
abandoned support for that. In my buildfarm I have a sata disk that RHEL
2.1 cannot recognize:(

Anyway, if you want, I can send you the instructions about how to build
RPMs on your platform.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Leon Pu
Дата:
--- Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 07:52 -0800, Leon Pu wrote:
>
> > I found the newest PostgreSQL binary download on Redhat Advance
> Server
> > 2.1 is version 7.4.7.

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/OLD/v7.4.7/rpms/redhat/rhel-es-2.1/

> > But I want to install newer PostgreSQL in Redhat Advance Server
> 2.1, at
> > least version 8.0.4.
> >
> > Any possibility to install 8.0.4 or newer PostgreSQL?
>
> None of the RPM package builders have a box running RHEL 2.1, and we
> abandoned support for that. In my buildfarm I have a sata disk that
> RHEL
> 2.1 cannot recognize:(
>
> Anyway, if you want, I can send you the instructions about how to
> build
> RPMs on your platform.

Hi Devrim,

is there any article or annoucement about abandon support on REEL2.1
which I can refer to?

Please send me the instructions to build RPMs on RHEL 2.1.

Anyway, is there any potential problem to install unofficial downloaded
PostgreSQL?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Best regards,
Leon

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Hi Devrim,
>
> is there any article or annoucement about abandon support on REEL2.1
> which I can refer to?
>
> Please send me the instructions to build RPMs on RHEL 2.1.
>
> Anyway, is there any potential problem to install unofficial downloaded
> PostgreSQL?

No there is not. I actually suggest, considering your ancient version of
RedHat that you install from source.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

Дата:
> No there is not. I actually suggest, considering your ancient version of
> RedHat that you install from source.

Better yet, install a more modern Red Hat release ;-)

AS2.1 is very far into the "legacy" part of its support cycle.  You
shouldn't even be thinking of installing new applications on top of it
--- the only reason to be running it at all is "this server works and
we don't want to fix what's not broken".  You won't get any support from
Red Hat for running PG 8.anything on AS2.1, so why would you choose that
combination of releases?

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Leon Pu
Дата:
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > No there is not. I actually suggest, considering your ancient
> version of
> > RedHat that you install from source.
>
> Better yet, install a more modern Red Hat release ;-)
>
> AS2.1 is very far into the "legacy" part of its support cycle.  You
> shouldn't even be thinking of installing new applications on top of
> it
> --- the only reason to be running it at all is "this server works and
> we don't want to fix what's not broken".  You won't get any support
> from
> Red Hat for running PG 8.anything on AS2.1, so why would you choose
> that
> combination of releases?

Hi Tom,

you are right, it's unresonable to run PostgreSQL 8.x on RHEL 2.1.

Since there are no support between both PostgreSQL and RHEL side for
PostgreSQL 8.x and RHEL 2.1, and I cannot upgrade the operating system.
I think I have to use PostgreSQL 7.4.7.

Best regards,
Leon

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:54:29PM -0800, Leon Pu wrote:
> --- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> > > No there is not. I actually suggest, considering your ancient
> > version of
> > > RedHat that you install from source.
> >
> > Better yet, install a more modern Red Hat release ;-)
> >
> > AS2.1 is very far into the "legacy" part of its support cycle.  You
> > shouldn't even be thinking of installing new applications on top of
> > it
> > --- the only reason to be running it at all is "this server works and
> > we don't want to fix what's not broken".  You won't get any support
> > from
> > Red Hat for running PG 8.anything on AS2.1, so why would you choose
> > that
> > combination of releases?
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> you are right, it's unresonable to run PostgreSQL 8.x on RHEL 2.1.
>
> Since there are no support between both PostgreSQL and RHEL side for
> PostgreSQL 8.x and RHEL 2.1, and I cannot upgrade the operating system.
> I think I have to use PostgreSQL 7.4.7.

Well, you might be able to buy support for 8.1 on RHEL 2 from someone
other than Red Hat, if support is your primary concern. In any case, you
do not want to be using 7.4.7, since there's data corruption bugs that
have been fixed since then. I'd hope that RH would support at least the
most recent version of 7.4, since presumably that's part of what they
pay Tom for... Just understand that 7.4 is approaching end-of-life.
(Presumably so is RHEL2...)

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 06:03 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> I'd hope that RH would support at least the
> most recent version of 7.4, since presumably that's part of what they
> pay Tom for... Just understand that 7.4 is approaching end-of-life.
> (Presumably so is RHEL2...)

RH won't support a newer (or older) major version of PostgreSQL which is
not included in RHEL 2.1. This is Red Hat's policy -- they do not update
to new major release in a distribution. I mean, (AFAIR) RHEL 2.1 ships
with PostgreSQL 7.3 and they won't support a newer major version.

However, I agree with you, if the support is the primary concern, there
are some support options around.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 03:16:29PM +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 06:03 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > I'd hope that RH would support at least the
> > most recent version of 7.4, since presumably that's part of what they
> > pay Tom for... Just understand that 7.4 is approaching end-of-life.
> > (Presumably so is RHEL2...)
>
> RH won't support a newer (or older) major version of PostgreSQL which is
> not included in RHEL 2.1. This is Red Hat's policy -- they do not update
> to new major release in a distribution. I mean, (AFAIR) RHEL 2.1 ships
> with PostgreSQL 7.3 and they won't support a newer major version.
>
> However, I agree with you, if the support is the primary concern, there
> are some support options around.

Oh, I missed that this was actually a 7.3 database. That seriously
limits your options, though at least 7.3 is still supported via Tom/Red
Hat.

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Leon Pu
Дата:
--- "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 03:16:29PM +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 06:03 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > > I'd hope that RH would support at least the
> > > most recent version of 7.4, since presumably that's part of what
> they
> > > pay Tom for... Just understand that 7.4 is approaching
> end-of-life.
> > > (Presumably so is RHEL2...)
> >
> > RH won't support a newer (or older) major version of PostgreSQL
> which is
> > not included in RHEL 2.1. This is Red Hat's policy -- they do not
> update
> > to new major release in a distribution. I mean, (AFAIR) RHEL 2.1
> ships
> > with PostgreSQL 7.3 and they won't support a newer major version.
> >
> > However, I agree with you, if the support is the primary concern,
> there
> > are some support options around.
>
> Oh, I missed that this was actually a 7.3 database. That seriously
> limits your options, though at least 7.3 is still supported via
> Tom/Red
> Hat.

Hi Jim,

do you mean PostgreSQL 7.3 is supported by RedHat on Advanced Server
2.1?

I only found PostgreSQL 7.1.3's rpms for RedHat Advanced Server 2.1, no
newer version anymore.

Anyway, since I cannot upgrade the operating system, could anybody give
me recommendation for which PostgreSQL version is more stable on 2.1?

Best regards,
Leon

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:03:27AM -0800, Leon Pu wrote:
> do you mean PostgreSQL 7.3 is supported by RedHat on Advanced Server
> 2.1?
>
> I only found PostgreSQL 7.1.3's rpms for RedHat Advanced Server 2.1, no
> newer version anymore.

Tom has mentioned in the past that he's been backpatching stuff to 7.3
as part of his job, so I would assume that RH will support any 7.3
version.

> Anyway, since I cannot upgrade the operating system, could anybody give
> me recommendation for which PostgreSQL version is more stable on 2.1?

You always want to be running the latest point release. There's a number
of data corruption bugs that have been fixed since 7.3.0.

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:14, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:03:27AM -0800, Leon Pu wrote:
> > do you mean PostgreSQL 7.3 is supported by RedHat on Advanced Server
> > 2.1?
> >
> > I only found PostgreSQL 7.1.3's rpms for RedHat Advanced Server 2.1, no
> > newer version anymore.
>
> Tom has mentioned in the past that he's been backpatching stuff to 7.3
> as part of his job, so I would assume that RH will support any 7.3
> version.

But only for supported OSes.  I'm pretty sure 2.1 is past due on that
count.

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:14, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> Tom has mentioned in the past that he's been backpatching stuff to 7.3
>> as part of his job, so I would assume that RH will support any 7.3
>> version.

> But only for supported OSes.  I'm pretty sure 2.1 is past due on that
> count.

The real problem is that PG 7.1 is effectively unsupportable: there are
too many fundamentally unfixable bugs in it, such as transaction ID
wraparound, type-unsafeness in I/O routines, yadda yadda.  These things
can't be dealt with without introducing significant incompatibilities,
which means you may as well just update to some newer version instead.

Unfortunately Red Hat's backwards-compatibility policy forbids dropping
new major PG releases into old RHEL branches, so AS2.1 is stuck with
7.1.  The best I can do in the way of support is to wave a big cluestick
at anyone foolish enough to try to use Postgres on that platform: get a
newer version, or expect to regret it.  I'm not bothering to back-patch
bug fixes, in view of the huge unfixable bugs.

RHEL3 (with PG 7.3) is at least something you could plausibly use
Postgres on without expecting to lose data, so 7.3 is still getting
fixes for major bugs.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com

Hi Tom,

You wrote "Unfortunately Red Hat's backwards-compatibility policy forbids dropping
new major PG releases into old RHEL branches". So that means I cannot upgrade to Postgresql 8.x on a RedHat9 server? Currently I am using Postgresql 7.3 but was planning on upgrading before I put the database into production.

Thanks,
Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

> On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:14, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> Tom has mentioned in the past that he's been backpatching stuff to 7.3
>> as part of his job, so I would assume that RH will support any 7.3
>> version.

> But only for supported OSes.  I'm pretty sure 2.1 is past due on that
> count.

The real problem is that PG 7.1 is effectively unsupportable: there are
too many fundamentally unfixable bugs in it, such as transaction ID
wraparound, type-unsafeness in I/O routines, yadda yadda.  These things
can't be dealt with without introducing significant incompatibilities,
which means you may as well just update to some newer version instead.

Unfortunately Red Hat's backwards-compatibility policy forbids dropping
new major PG releases into old RHEL branches, so AS2.1 is stuck with
7.1.  The best I can do in the way of support is to wave a big cluestick
at anyone foolish enough to try to use Postgres on that platform: get a
newer version, or expect to regret it.  I'm not bothering to back-patch
bug fixes, in view of the huge unfixable bugs.

RHEL3 (with PG 7.3) is at least something you could plausibly use
Postgres on without expecting to lose data, so 7.3 is still getting
fixes for major bugs.

                                                  regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 11:38, MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> You wrote "Unfortunately Red Hat's backwards-compatibility policy
> forbids dropping
> new major PG releases into old RHEL branches". So that means I cannot
> upgrade to Postgresql 8.x on a RedHat9 server? Currently I am using
> Postgresql 7.3 but was planning on upgrading before I put the database
> into production.

No, YOU can upgrade.  But RedHat won't be releasing RPMs for the
process.  And it might be that getting postgresql to compile from source
to do this might not work either.

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
> You wrote "Unfortunately Red Hat's backwards-compatibility policy
> forbids dropping
> new major PG releases into old RHEL branches". So that means I cannot
> upgrade to Postgresql 8.x on a RedHat9 server? Currently I am using
> Postgresql 7.3 but was planning on upgrading before I put the database
> into production.

Hi Margaret,
Tom means that Redhat won't provide a update for Postgresql, that does
not mean you can't install it yourself.

I run RedHat EL 4.3(Postgresql is at 7.4.x on EL 4.3) at work and I run
8.1 on it, I just installed it myself.

Later,

Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com
Home of PG Lightning Admin
Your best bet for Postgresql Administration

Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:45 PM, Tony Caduto wrote:
>> You wrote "Unfortunately Red Hat's backwards-compatibility policy
>> forbids dropping
>> new major PG releases into old RHEL branches". So that means I cannot
>> upgrade to Postgresql 8.x on a RedHat9 server? Currently I am using
>> Postgresql 7.3 but was planning on upgrading before I put the
>> database
>> into production.
>
> Hi Margaret,
> Tom means that Redhat won't provide a update for Postgresql, that does
> not mean you can't install it yourself.
>
> I run RedHat EL 4.3(Postgresql is at 7.4.x on EL 4.3) at work and I
> run
> 8.1 on it, I just installed it myself.

Just realize that RedHat won't provide any support for 8.x on
RHAS2.1. Pervasive would be happy to, though. :)

Incidentally, someone from Red Hat talked to me at Linuxworld about
setting up some kind of partnership. Turns out he didn't know who Tom
Lane was or where he worked. :)