Обсуждение: Create a new database from JDBC?

Create a new database from JDBC?

От
Dan Armbrust
Дата:
How do I make a connection to a Postgresql database that (potentially)
has 0 databases from jdbc, so that I can issue a create database command?

In that _other_ database, I can make a jdbc connection to an address
like this:

jdbc:mysql://servername/

And then issue a "Create database foo" command.

Then I can reconnect to
jdbc:mysql://servername/foo

And everything is good.

If I try to connect to a postgresql database like this:

jdbc:postgresql://servername/

Postgres attempts to connect to a database that is named the same as the
username I provided.

Certainly not what I want, since that database doesn't exist.  Is there
a system database I could always count on being available that I could
connect to?

Thanks,

Dan

--
****************************
Daniel Armbrust

Re: Create a new database from JDBC?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Dan Armbrust wrote:

> How do I make a connection to a Postgresql database that (potentially)
> has 0 databases from jdbc, so that I can issue a create database command?
>
> In that _other_ database, I can make a jdbc connection to an address
> like this:
>
> jdbc:mysql://servername/
>
> And then issue a "Create database foo" command.
>
> Then I can reconnect to
> jdbc:mysql://servername/foo
>
> And everything is good.
>
> If I try to connect to a postgresql database like this:
>
> jdbc:postgresql://servername/
>
> Postgres attempts to connect to a database that is named the same as
> the username I provided.
>
> Certainly not what I want, since that database doesn't exist.  Is
> there a system database I could always count on being available that I
> could connect to?

template1 but only if you allow it from pg_hba.conf.

> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Re: Create a new database from JDBC?

От
Dave Page

On 8/2/06 17:26, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>> Certainly not what I want, since that database doesn't exist.  Is
>> there a system database I could always count on being available that I
>> could connect to?
>
> template1 but only if you allow it from pg_hba.conf.

The postgres database would be more appropriate on 8.1+ (it is specifically
inteded for that kind of thing), however like template1, it can be dropped,
though that isn't advisable without good reason.

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

> On 8/2/06 17:26, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>>> Certainly not what I want, since that database doesn't exist.  Is
>>> there a system database I could always count on being available that I
>>> could connect to?
>> template1 but only if you allow it from pg_hba.conf.
>
> The postgres database would be more appropriate on 8.1+ (it is specifically
> inteded for that kind of thing), however like template1, it can be dropped,
> though that isn't advisable without good reason.
>
> Regards, Dave.

So there is no guaranteed way to do this, unless there is a known,
existing database?  Seems like a shortcoming, to me.  Would this be
considered as a feature request, or does the current design make it to
difficult to implement?

Dan

--
Daniel Armbrust