Обсуждение: postgresql books

postgresql books

От
"Gevik babakhani"

Dear All,

Beside the documentation, which pg book would you recommend? Which one is your personal favorite pg book?

Regards

Gevik.

Re: postgresql books

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
Gevik babakhani wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> Beside the documentation, which pg book would you recommend? Which one
> is your personal favorite pg book?
>

> Regards
>
> Gevik.

PostgreSQL by Korry Douglas and Susan Douglas is an excellent book, but
a little out of date.  I beleive a new edition is in the works.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: postgresql books

От
Bob
Дата:
I think it hits the press in June or July 2005???

On 6/3/05, Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> wrote:
Gevik babakhani wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> Beside the documentation, which pg book would you recommend? Which one
> is your personal favorite pg book?
>

> Regards
>
> Gevik.

PostgreSQL by Korry Douglas and Susan Douglas is an excellent book, but
a little out of date.  I beleive a new edition is in the works.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: postgresql books

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when sql@zeouane.org would write:
> "Gevik babakhani" <gevik@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> Beside the documentation, which pg book would you recommend? Which one is
>> your personal favorite pg book?
>
> I saw an O'Reilly book [1] this afternoon at a bookshop here in
> Paris ..  'had to fight the urge to get my credit card out ... :-)
> Anyone know if it's any good ?

It's a bit dated, being based on the state of things in the 6.5/7.0
days, but is still quite useful.

It's frankly the one I keep on my desk the most, as I particularly
like its summary of the built-in functions of any of the books out
there.

The Douglas & Douglas book has one of the best descriptions going on
how to read query plans, so it's plenty useful in that regard...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html

Re: postgresql books

От
sql@zeouane.org
Дата:

[1] <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ppostgresql/index.html>
--
D.C.

Re: postgresql books

От
sql@zeouane.org
Дата:
Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when sql@zeouane.org would write:
> > "Gevik babakhani" <gevik@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> Beside the documentation, which pg book would you recommend? Which one is
> >> your personal favorite pg book?
> >
> > I saw an O'Reilly book [1] this afternoon at a bookshop here in
> > Paris ..  'had to fight the urge to get my credit card out ... :-)
> > Anyone know if it's any good ?
>
> It's a bit dated, being based on the state of things in the 6.5/7.0
> days, but is still quite useful.
>
> It's frankly the one I keep on my desk the most, as I particularly
> like its summary of the built-in functions of any of the books out
> there.
>
> The Douglas & Douglas book has one of the best descriptions going on
> how to read query plans, so it's plenty useful in that regard...

Thing is, does it give more info than the User and Programmers' guides,
which I already have in pdf format from the site ?

--
D.C.

Re: postgresql books

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
sql@zeouane.org wrote:
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when sql@zeouane.org would write:

>>>I saw an O'Reilly book [1] this afternoon at a bookshop here in
>>>Paris ..  'had to fight the urge to get my credit card out ... :-)
>>>Anyone know if it's any good ?
>>
>>It's a bit dated, being based on the state of things in the 6.5/7.0
>>days, but is still quite useful.

Just FYI the french version of the O'Reilly book covers 7.1 IIRC.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting

Re: postgresql books

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
sql@zeouane.org writes:
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when sql@zeouane.org would write:

>> > I saw an O'Reilly book [1] this afternoon at a bookshop here in
>> > Paris ..  'had to fight the urge to get my credit card out ... :-)
>> > Anyone know if it's any good ?
>>
>> It's a bit dated, being based on the state of things in the 6.5/7.0
>> days, but is still quite useful.
>>
>> It's frankly the one I keep on my desk the most, as I particularly
>> like its summary of the built-in functions of any of the books out
>> there.
>>
>> The Douglas & Douglas book has one of the best descriptions going on
>> how to read query plans, so it's plenty useful in that regard...
>
> Thing is, does it give more info than the User and Programmers' guides,
> which I already have in pdf format from the site ?

There is more material in general in the documentation provided with
PostgreSQL, and that material is more up to date.

But if you want a "dead trees" copy of something that you can take
places where you don't have a computer, PDF files aren't generally too
much good.

I know I pull out _Practical PostgreSQL_ more often than I do the
Douglas & Douglas book, despite the latter being quite a lot newer.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html

Re: postgresql books

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Korry's book is slated for July (hey Korry, send me a review copy eh?) and
should expand on his previous book (including info on slony iirc) which was
quite good.

The newest book currently on the market is Begining Database w/ PostgreSQL,
which I did some work on.  I thought it was pretty good if you want a
beginer's level book.  It also has some stuff on 8.0 and the windows install
which I dont think any other book has (yet) so there's some certainly some
newer content in there.

There are a couple of other books in the works that I am aware of, but none
due out till late fall at the earliest afaik, so those are probably your best
choices.

Robert Treat

--
Robert Treat

Re: postgresql books

От
Jamie Deppeler
Дата:
I would recomend Postgresql by Korry and Susan Douglas,  I think most
people use this as there resource :)

I think a new version for postgres 8 is comming out soon

Re: postgresql books

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 07 June 2005 20:43, Jamie Deppeler wrote:
> I would recomend Postgresql by Korry and Susan Douglas,  I think most
> people use this as there resource :)
>
> I think a new version for postgres 8 is comming out soon

Thanks for that bit of wisdom... however next time if you could leave in the
quotes from the previous emails where we say pretty much the exact same thing
only with more detail and actually useful information, it would really be
something.

:-)

--
Robert Treat