Обсуждение: Just a crazy idea!

Just a crazy idea!

От
Hrishikesh Deshmukh
Дата:
Is it possible to connect a DB in Postgresql to a DB in MySQL!
I know its a crazy idea!

Re: Just a crazy idea!

От
"Dann Corbit"
Дата:
Of course it is possible.  In fact, it's easy.

Just use JDBC or ODBC or OLEDB or a .NET provider and join to both
database systems.

There is nothing to it.

I can make a join where tables from RMS and DB/2 and Oracle and
PostgreSQL and MySQL are all participating in the SQL statement with
ease.

This technology is 15 years old.

broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Just a crazy idea!

От
Hrishikesh Deshmukh
Дата:
Could you point to documentation regarding this. This would be a big help.

Thanks,
Hrishi

On 5/26/05, Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
> Of course it is possible.  In fact, it's easy.
>
> Just use JDBC or ODBC or OLEDB or a .NET provider and join to both
> database systems.
>
> There is nothing to it.
>
> I can make a join where tables from RMS and DB/2 and Oracle and
> PostgreSQL and MySQL are all participating in the SQL statement with
> ease.
>
> This technology is 15 years old.

Re: Just a crazy idea!

От
Dawid Kuroczko
Дата:
On 5/26/05, Hrishikesh Deshmukh <hdeshmuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to connect a DB in Postgresql to a DB in MySQL!
> I know its a crazy idea!

Why, of course.  Been' doing that.

All you need is to write a set of functios, for example in PL/perlU,
some of them being set returning functions.

For my purposes I did a function which connects to mysql to
call its encrypt function, and a function which returns "show databases"
and similar stuff.

Basically -- yes you can do it, though things getting tricky if you want
to have _read_ access to _big_ tables. :)

   Regards,
      Dawid

PS: For the reference, why do you need to connect to mysql?

Re: Just a crazy idea!

От
Hrishikesh Deshmukh
Дата:
I have a little schema in pgsql and some annotation in mysql; either
way transfer of schema might result in data types etc conflicts. So if
i could make these two talk then i don't have to worry about schema
transfer. So the question and frankly i thought it was crazy thought!
The replys so far indicate that i am not looney at all ;)

Hrishi

On 5/26/05, Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/26/05, Hrishikesh Deshmukh <hdeshmuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible to connect a DB in Postgresql to a DB in MySQL!
> > I know its a crazy idea!
>
> Why, of course.  Been' doing that.
>
> All you need is to write a set of functios, for example in PL/perlU,
> some of them being set returning functions.
>
> For my purposes I did a function which connects to mysql to
> call its encrypt function, and a function which returns "show databases"
> and similar stuff.
>
> Basically -- yes you can do it, though things getting tricky if you want
> to have _read_ access to _big_ tables. :)
>
>    Regards,
>       Dawid
>
> PS: For the reference, why do you need to connect to mysql?

Re: Just a crazy idea!

От
Matt Miller
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 17:21 -0400, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> I have a little schema in pgsql and some annotation in mysql;
> if i could make these two talk
> So the question and frankly i thought it was crazy thought!
> The replys so far indicate that i am not looney at all ;)

Well the replies seem to indicate that the question does have an
affirmative answer.  Whether Hrishikesh is looney, however, is probably
still an open question ...

Re: Just a crazy idea!

От
Hrishikesh Deshmukh
Дата:
LOL..............not looney!

On 5/26/05, Matt Miller <mattm@epx.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 17:21 -0400, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> > I have a little schema in pgsql and some annotation in mysql;
> > if i could make these two talk
> > So the question and frankly i thought it was crazy thought!
> > The replys so far indicate that i am not looney at all ;)
>
> Well the replies seem to indicate that the question does have an
> affirmative answer.  Whether Hrishikesh is looney, however, is probably
> still an open question ...

Re: Just a crazy idea!

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 05:04:37PM -0400, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> Is it possible to connect a DB in Postgresql to a DB in MySQL!  I
> know its a crazy idea!

It's called DBI-Link.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Just a crazy idea!

От
Jeff Trout
Дата:
On May 26, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:

> Is it possible to connect a DB in Postgresql to a DB in MySQL!
> I know its a crazy idea!

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

although you'll need a patch to make it work unless the author has
updated it.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/