Обсуждение: Newbie question

Newbie question

От
Hugo
Дата:
hi,

is it possible to schedule the execution of an sql stored procedure in
postgress on linux?

thanks

Hugo

Re: Newbie question

От
Vlad
Дата:
IMHO cron would be the best for that...

--
Vlad

Re: Newbie question

От
"Dann Corbit"
Дата:
Sure.  Just set up psql with a SQL script containing your task using a
chron job.

The psql utility will accept a command file as a parameter.

PostgreSQL has functions rather than stored procedures, but it works out
about the same.

You could also put a bunch of SQL commands that you want to run in the
file that you feed to psql.

broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Newbie question

От
Csaba Nagy
Дата:
Dear Hugo,

It is possible using cron and psql. Just "man cron" on unix if you're
not already familiar with that. The command line you should use is
something like:

psql [connection options] -f sql_commands_file.sql

Also "man psql" for the options you can use...
Starting the procedure should be done by something like:

SELECT procedure_name();

in the sql commands file given to psql.
Alternatively you can do:

echo "SELECT procedure_name();" | psql [connection options]

but I don't know how well that works with cron... I'm not actually using
it...

HTH,
Csaba.

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 17:23, Hugo wrote:
> hi,
>
> is it possible to schedule the execution of an sql stored procedure in
> postgress on linux?
>
> thanks
>
> Hugo

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Newbie question

От
Kaloyan Iliev Iliev
Дата:
Hi Hugo,

Yes, it is possible. Just write an outer perl script(in example), which
to call this stored procedure. Then put in the cron to call whis perl
script. As Far As I Know there isn't other way.

Kaloyan Iliev

Hugo wrote:

>hi,
>
>is it possible to schedule the execution of an sql stored procedure in
>postgress on linux?
>
>thanks
>
>Hugo

>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Newbie question

От
Hugo
Дата:
thanks all for your help, I'll try your suggestions

regards

Hugo

2005/5/18, Kaloyan Iliev Iliev <news1@faith.digsys.bg>:
> Hi Hugo,
>
> Yes, it is possible. Just write an outer perl script(in example), which
> to call this stored procedure. Then put in the cron to call whis perl
> script. As Far As I Know there isn't other way.
>
> Kaloyan Iliev
>
> Hugo wrote:
>
> >hi,
> >
> >is it possible to schedule the execution of an sql stored procedure in
> >postgress on linux?
> >
> >thanks
> >
> >Hugo

> >TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Newbie question

От
Bricklen Anderson
Hugo wrote:
> hi,
>
> is it possible to schedule the execution of an sql stored procedure in
> postgress on linux?
>
> thanks
>
> Hugo

cron job:
eg. Sat 2:30am

30 2 * * Sat psql -d dbname -c "select your_func()"

--
_______________________________

_______________________________

Re: Newbie question

От
Geoffrey
Дата:
Kaloyan Iliev Iliev wrote:
> Hi Hugo,
>
> Yes, it is possible. Just write an outer perl script(in example), which
> to call this stored procedure. Then put in the cron to call whis perl
> script. As Far As I Know there isn't other way.

Depending on whether you want to schedule a procedure on a regular basis
or not.  You could us 'at' to schedule a one time procedure execution.

--
Until later, Geoffrey