Обсуждение: Commercial support?

Commercial support?

От
Dustin Sallings
Дата:
    I'm assuming this has been beaten to death, but I'm looking for some
companies offering commercial support contracts in SF bay area.

    The link for commercial support from the FAQ is broken, and my 3/4 ass
search attempts came up with nothing.

    I'm a long-time postgres user leading a development group in San Jose.
  We're currently looking at various commercial DBMS packages, but I'm
fairly confident that postgres can handle the job quite effectively.
In order to sell this, though, I'll need support contracts.

    The application is reasonably high in volume and replication is a
requirement.

    I look forward to hearing what the options are.  Thanks.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>

Re: Commercial support?

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
You could ask Elein, who is on this list a lot.

"elein"<elein@varlena.com>

Dustin Sallings wrote:

>     I'm assuming this has been beaten to death, but I'm looking for some
> companies offering commercial support contracts in SF bay area.
>
>     The link for commercial support from the FAQ is broken, and my 3/4
> ass search attempts came up with nothing.
>
>     I'm a long-time postgres user leading a development group in San
> Jose.  We're currently looking at various commercial DBMS packages, but
> I'm fairly confident that postgres can handle the job quite
> effectively.  In order to sell this, though, I'll need support contracts.
>
>     The application is reasonably high in volume and replication is a
> requirement.
>
>     I look forward to hearing what the options are.  Thanks.
>
> --
> SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
> pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
> |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE
> L_______________________ I hope the answer won't upset her. ____________

Re: Commercial support?

От
Al Hulaton
Дата:
Dustin Sallings wrote:

>     I'm assuming this has been beaten to death, but I'm looking for
> some companies offering commercial support contracts in SF bay area.

That's something we do here at Command Prompt. Phone number's below or
there's the guaranteed 4 hour response time form we have on our website.

Best,
Al Hulaton    |  Sr. Account Engineer  |  Command Prompt, Inc.
503.222.2783  |  ahulaton@commandprompt.com
Linux business hosting, PostgreSQL consulting and migration
Read and Search O'Reilly's 'Practical PostgreSQL' at
http://www.commandprompt.com

Re: Commercial support?

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> does PostgreSQL support, and he is in
SF.  I am CC'ing him.

Al Hulaton wrote:
> Dustin Sallings wrote:
>
> >     I'm assuming this has been beaten to death, but I'm looking for
> > some companies offering commercial support contracts in SF bay area.
>
> That's something we do here at Command Prompt. Phone number's below or
> there's the guaranteed 4 hour response time form we have on our website.
>

> Best,
> Al Hulaton    |  Sr. Account Engineer  |  Command Prompt, Inc.
> 503.222.2783  |  ahulaton@commandprompt.com
> Linux business hosting, PostgreSQL consulting and migration
> Read and Search O'Reilly's 'Practical PostgreSQL' at
> http://www.commandprompt.com

Re: Commercial support?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> does PostgreSQL support, and he is in
> SF.  I am CC'ing him.

What kind of support is requested?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Commercial support?

От
Dustin Sallings
Дата:
On Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003, at 09:55 US/Pacific, Al Hulaton wrote:

> That's something we do here at Command Prompt. Phone number's below or
> there's the guaranteed 4 hour response time form we have on our
> website.

    We're looking at various databases for production use in our product
and pricing the various solutions.  My personal preference is postgres,
but we're also looking at Oracle and Sybase at this point.  One thing
we get from them that we do not get from postgres is a support
contract.  It's the general political CYA thing.  If something breaks
and we can't figure out what it is, we need someone who can come in and
make it better.

    What we do not need at this point is any type of implementation
assistance.  We pretty much know what we're doing, but management
always likes to assume the people whose salaries they pay aren't
capable of doing their jobs.  :)

--
Dustin Sallings
408.321.1409

Re: Commercial support?

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003, at 09:55 US/Pacific, Al Hulaton wrote:
>
> > That's something we do here at Command Prompt. Phone number's below or
> > there's the guaranteed 4 hour response time form we have on our
> > website.
>
>     We're looking at various databases for production use in our product
> and pricing the various solutions.  My personal preference is postgres,
> but we're also looking at Oracle and Sybase at this point.  One thing
> we get from them that we do not get from postgres is a support
> contract.  It's the general political CYA thing.  If something breaks
> and we can't figure out what it is, we need someone who can come in and
> make it better.
>
>     What we do not need at this point is any type of implementation
> assistance.  We pretty much know what we're doing, but management
> always likes to assume the people whose salaries they pay aren't
> capable of doing their jobs.  :)

There are actually several companies that provide commercial support for
postgresql.

Here's two:

www.pgsql.com
www.commandprompt.com

Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?)

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:59, Dustin Sallings wrote:
> On Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003, at 09:55 US/Pacific, Al Hulaton wrote:
[snip]
>     We're looking at various databases for production use in our product
> and pricing the various solutions.  My personal preference is postgres,
> but we're also looking at Oracle and Sybase at this point.  One thing
> we get from them that we do not get from postgres is a support
> contract.  It's the general political CYA thing.  If something breaks
> and we can't figure out what it is, we need someone who can come in and
> make it better.
>
>     What we do not need at this point is any type of implementation
> assistance.  We pretty much know what we're doing, but management
> always likes to assume the people whose salaries they pay aren't
> capable of doing their jobs.  :)

I *like* the fact that my company has a support contract with Oracle
on our production databases.
DBMSs are extremely complicated beasts, and even though I am expert,
and can extract the db from most stack dump conditions, there *are*
errors that are beyond my knowledge, but can be quickly solved by
someone who lives and breathes Rdb internals.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |

Re: Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?)

От
Gianni Mariani
Дата:
Ron Johnson wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:59, Dustin Sallings wrote:
>

>I *like* the fact that my company has a support contract with Oracle
>on our production databases.
>DBMSs are extremely complicated beasts, and even though I am expert,
>and can extract the db from most stack dump conditions, there *are*
>errors that are beyond my knowledge, but can be quickly solved by
>someone who lives and breathes Rdb internals.

That's Tom Lane right ?  :-)

Tom, I owe you and the rest of the PostgreSQL team a big one.

Thanks

Re: Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?)

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 17:58, Gianni Mariani wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:59, Dustin Sallings wrote:
> >

> >I *like* the fact that my company has a support contract with Oracle
> >on our production databases.
> >DBMSs are extremely complicated beasts, and even though I am expert,
> >and can extract the db from most stack dump conditions, there *are*
> >errors that are beyond my knowledge, but can be quickly solved by
> >someone who lives and breathes Rdb internals.
> >
> That's Tom Lane right ?  :-)

Well, no.  Oracle purchased Rdb/VMS from DEC back in 1994.  (A
surprising number of former DEC engineers are still w/ Oracle.
Of course, the building that O built in a nice wooded area of Nashua
is really nice, and just a tree-lined walk to the OpenVMS engineering
offices, and they all have families, so I'm not surprised they've
stayed.)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |

Re: Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?)

От
Dustin Sallings
Дата:
On Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003, at 15:58 US/Pacific, Gianni Mariani wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> I *like* the fact that my company has a support contract with Oracle
>> on our production databases.  DBMSs are extremely complicated beasts,
>> and even though I am expert,
>> and can extract the db from most stack dump conditions, there *are*
>> errors that are beyond my knowledge, but can be quickly solved by
>> someone who lives and breathes Rdb internals.

    (just for clarity, I didn't write the above)

> That's Tom Lane right ?  :-)

    While I personally would want to keep a low profile if I were as
impressive a resource as some of the people on this list, I can say for
certain that I've got good answers to difficult questions (with
patches) from Tom Lane far faster than I've got worthless answers to
simple questions while on contract with competing database vendors.

    I know that there are problems that I can't solve, but I've generally
had better luck solving technical problems with mailing lists and open
source than I have with support contracts and closed source.

    ...but I didn't start this thread because of technical problems.  :)

--
Dustin Sallings

Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
expect
Дата:
Why does everyone send to the list and the author?  Can someone make this stop?
Or is this the preferred method of response on this list?
The pgsql-novice doesn't seem to suffer this annoyance.

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

Дата:
Uh, we do that so folks get the replies quicker.

expect wrote:
> Why does everyone send to the list and the author?  Can someone make this stop?
> Or is this the preferred method of response on this list?
> The pgsql-novice doesn't seem to suffer this annoyance.

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
Mike Mascari
expect wrote:

> Why does everyone send to the list and the author?  Can someone make this stop?
> Or is this the preferred method of response on this list?
> The pgsql-novice doesn't seem to suffer this annoyance.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3DE467A7.7070807%40mega-bucks.co.jp&rnum=10&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dpostgresql%2Bgeneral%2Bmailing%2Blist

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
expect
Дата:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:38:39 -0400
Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> wrote:

> expect wrote:
>
> > Why does everyone send to the list and the author?  Can someone make this stop?
> > Or is this the preferred method of response on this list?
> > The pgsql-novice doesn't seem to suffer this annoyance.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3DE467A7.7070807%40mega-bucks.co.jp&rnum=10&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dpostgresql%2Bgeneral%2Bmailing%2Blist

Thanks I'll follow up on that.

FWIW here's a shorter link if anyone else is interested:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=17742.1038412792%40sss.pgh.pa.us

> Mike Mascari
> mascarm@mascari.com

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 20:39:41 -0700,
  expect <expect@ihubbell.com> wrote:
> Why does everyone send to the list and the author?  Can someone make this stop?
> Or is this the preferred method of response on this list?
> The pgsql-novice doesn't seem to suffer this annoyance.

This is supposed to be under the control of the poster. You can use
mail-followup-to to ask that responses only be sent to the list.
If you don't want any replies sent to your personal address, you can
set reply-to to the list. This will cover some mail clients that
don't respect mail-followup-to.

There are often significant delays with mail sent to the postgres lists
and getting a direct copy can get you an answer significantly faster
some of the time.

Not everyone who posts is on the lists. Off list posts are OK'd by a moderator.

Re: Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?)

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 17:46:59 -0700,
  Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:

>     While I personally would want to keep a low profile if I were as
> impressive a resource as some of the people on this list, I can say for
> certain that I've got good answers to difficult questions (with
> patches) from Tom Lane far faster than I've got worthless answers to
> simple questions while on contract with competing database vendors.

But Tom Lane doesn't scale. As Postgres becomes more popular, it will be
harder to get personal attention from him. Something could also happen
to him that would prevent or greatly reduce his capacity for helping
people out.

Re: Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?)

От
Dustin Sallings
Дата:
On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 06:27 US/Pacific, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 17:46:59 -0700,
>   Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:
>>
>>     While I personally would want to keep a low profile if I were as
>> impressive a resource as some of the people on this list, I can say
>> for
>> certain that I've got good answers to difficult questions (with
>> patches) from Tom Lane far faster than I've got worthless answers to
>> simple questions while on contract with competing database vendors.
>
> But Tom Lane doesn't scale. As Postgres becomes more popular, it will
> be
> harder to get personal attention from him. Something could also happen
> to him that would prevent or greatly reduce his capacity for helping
> people out.

    Absolutely...my point wasn't, ``Hey, why do I need support, we've got
Tom Lane!''  I didn't specifically ask him for help the time I'd
mentioned, he just happened to be the one who responded when I sent a
particular message to a list.  Other people on this list have shown to
be extremely helpful in spreading their knowledge in the past.

    The basic point is that I've got less from people who were paid to
help me in general than people who just enjoy being helpful.

    BTW, I'm not trying to put any particular Tom Lane who may be
listening on the spot.

    That said, when VirtualTom comes out, someone let me know.

--
Dustin Sallings

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
expect
Дата:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> Uh, we do that so folks get the replies quicker.

Uh, why not get a better mail server?  Seriously it seems that it really is
very slow.  Is it under powered?  The software doesn't scale well? Or is it
something else?

> expect wrote:
> > Why does everyone send to the list and the author?  Can someone make this stop?
> > Or is this the preferred method of response on this list?
> > The pgsql-novice doesn't seem to suffer this annoyance.

> >       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> >       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, expect wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>

> > Uh, we do that so folks get the replies quicker.
>
> Uh, why not get a better mail server?  Seriously it seems that it really is
> very slow.  Is it under powered?  The software doesn't scale well? Or is it
> something else?

I periodically check my full message headers to make sure of speed, and
other then messages hat required moderator approval, delivery times are <5
minutes ... what are you seeing?

Mail Hubs (Was: Re: Why the duplicate messages ... )

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Nope ... Tom just sent me headers for one of his messages, and based on
it, mail is going through the mail server in <30min ... but there was an
1hr delay from when it went into the queue to send out and when it got
delivered to his server ...

One of the things we've been setting up, thanks to several ISPs out there,
are mail 'hubs' that we pass the mail through ... so far, we have one
handling the .fr domain, one handling the .jp domain, and a couple
handling the .com/.net/.org domains (but, since these are also the
largest, a couple of more would be nice) ...

If anyone is willing to act as such, please contact me ... the only
requirement is that you are well connected (if we timeout to you more
often then connect, it doesn't help much) ... the only change you have to
make on your end is to allow svr1.postgresql.org (64.117.224.193) to relay
through you ...

If you do contact me, please let me also know what TLDs you are willing to
hub for ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 08:38, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, expect wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
> > Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> >

> > > Uh, we do that so folks get the replies quicker.
> >
> > Uh, why not get a better mail server?  Seriously it seems that it really is
> > very slow.  Is it under powered?  The software doesn't scale well? Or is it
> > something else?
>
> I periodically check my full message headers to make sure of speed, and
> other then messages hat required moderator approval, delivery times are <5
> minutes ... what are you seeing?

For me, at least, most (98%) of emails arrive "immediately".  However,
since I'm on a cable modem, "double mails" are just a hassle; I delete
the extras.

People on dial-up, especially those who are on metered access, may
not appreciate the extra download time, though.

In Evolution, I am able to do "Actions->Reply to List"  Outlook 97
doesn't have such a feature, but I'm sure that MozMail, Pine and Mutt
do.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, expect wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
>>Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>>

>>>Uh, we do that so folks get the replies quicker.
>>
>>Uh, why not get a better mail server?  Seriously it seems that it really is
>>very slow.  Is it under powered?  The software doesn't scale well? Or is it
>>something else?
>

> I periodically check my full message headers to make sure of speed, and
> other then messages hat required moderator approval, delivery times are <5
> minutes ... what are you seeing?

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
expect
Дата:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:38:55 -0300 (ADT)
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, expect wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
> > Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> >

> > > Uh, we do that so folks get the replies quicker.
> >
> > Uh, why not get a better mail server?  Seriously it seems that it really is
> > very slow.  Is it under powered?  The software doesn't scale well? Or is it
> > something else?
>
> I periodically check my full message headers to make sure of speed, and
> other then messages hat required moderator approval, delivery times are <5
> minutes ... what are you seeing?

Glad you asked.   I think it may have been just one message that was delayed.
Of course that's the one I decided to watch.  So you're right the mail is
getting through just fine.

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Dennis Gearon wrote:

> I saw 14 hours between yesterday and today. Was the site down?

There was a lot down in northeast America - some still is, and it's not
just the mood. Could that power catastrophy have affected your delivery
times?

Jan

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, expect wrote:

>>>Uh, why not get a better mail server?  Seriously it seems that it really is
>>>very slow.  Is it under powered?  The software doesn't scale well? Or is it
>>>something else?
>>

>> I periodically check my full message headers to make sure of speed, and
>> other then messages hat required moderator approval, delivery times are <5
>> minutes ... what are you seeing?

>> TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
I'm on the west coast, where does PG newsgroups reside?

Jan Wieck wrote:

> Dennis Gearon wrote:
>
>> I saw 14 hours between yesterday and today. Was the site down?
>

> There was a lot down in northeast America - some still is, and it's not
> just the mood. Could that power catastrophy have affected your delivery
> times?
>

> Jan
>

>> The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>>> I periodically check my full message headers to make sure of speed, and
>>> other then messages hat required moderator approval, delivery times
>>> are <5
>>> minutes ... what are you seeing?
>>>
>>> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

>>                http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, expect wrote:

> Glad you asked.  I think it may have been just one message that was
> delayed. Of course that's the one I decided to watch.  So you're right
> the mail is getting through just fine.

Note that anything that has to be 'moderator approved' will be delayed
... I generally go through all moderator-required postings *at least* once
a day (except weekends), so at max we should be talking 24hrs on such
postings ... times do vary though ...

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Dennis Gearon wrote:

> I'm on the west coast, where does PG newsgroups reside?

Wherever they are, the path from one's mail client, over his smtp
server, to the mailing list server, to your IMAP account is not all the
Recieved: headers you see, it's the concatenated traceroutes over all
the Received: headers. Even if the servers are next door to you the
bit's might travel cross country and back.

Jan

> Jan Wieck wrote:
>
>> Dennis Gearon wrote:
>>
>>> I saw 14 hours between yesterday and today. Was the site down?
>>

>> There was a lot down in northeast America - some still is, and it's not
>> just the mood. Could that power catastrophy have affected your delivery
>> times?
>>

>> Jan

>>> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
>>>
>>>                http://archives.postgresql.org

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 15 Aug 2003 at 10:36, Ron Johnson wrote:

> In Evolution, I am able to do "Actions->Reply to List"  Outlook 97
> doesn't have such a feature, but I'm sure that MozMail, Pine and Mutt
> do.

On the same topic, quite a few other lists I have sunscribed to rewrite reply
to header to list. IMO it's quite handy.

Can this be done for PG lists as well. It's good for archive's health..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Rules for driving in New York:    (1) Anything done while honking your horn is
legal.    (2) You may park anywhere if you turn your four-way flashers on.    (3) A

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2003 at 10:36, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > In Evolution, I am able to do "Actions->Reply to List"  Outlook 97
> > doesn't have such a feature, but I'm sure that MozMail, Pine and Mutt
> > do.
>
> On the same topic, quite a few other lists I have sunscribed to rewrite reply
> to header to list. IMO it's quite handy.
>
> Can this be done for PG lists as well. It's good for archive's health..

Actually, with Majordomo2, this can be done on an individual basis ...
send a 'help set' commadn to majordomo@postgresql.org to see everythign
that is available, but the one you are looking for, I think, is:

=======
The eliminatecc setting controls courtesy copy elimination. If this
setting is enabled, and your address appears in the To: or Cc: headers of
a posted message, Majordomo will not send an additional copy to you.
This helps to cut down on many of those annoying duplicates that are
often received, but it deprives you of the additional processing that
Majordomo does on a message (subject prefixes, additional headers,
etc.).

     eliminatecc   - turns CC elimination on
     noeliminatecc - turns it off
========

Re: Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?

Дата:
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2003 at 10:36, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > In Evolution, I am able to do "Actions->Reply to List"  Outlook 97
> > doesn't have such a feature, but I'm sure that MozMail, Pine and Mutt
> > do.
>
> On the same topic, quite a few other lists I have sunscribed to rewrite reply
> to header to list. IMO it's quite handy.

This makes it impossible to reply only to the sender rather than the
mailing list.