Обсуждение: Anyone used pgHoster.com?

Anyone used pgHoster.com?

От
Lynna Landstreet
Дата:
Hi folks,

Our web host from hell is driving me crazy with their lack of response to
tech support e-mails, out of date software, etc., and I'm looking at other
options, but we're kind of limited because we're a small, non-profit art
gallery with a really low budget. We'd be looking at shared hosting, *not* a
dedicated server.

I saw a company called pgHoster (www.pghoster.com) listed on the
techdocs.postgresql.com site and their prices for shared hosting seem to be
in line with what we could afford (i.e. dirt cheap). But I'm wondering if
anyone has any experience with them? I don't just want to jump into hosting
with an unknown provider, so if I could get some feedback regarding their
quality and reliability, that would be great.

I did get one glowing recommendation from the pgsql-novice list, which I
tend to frequent more than this one, but I'd like to hear more if possible
before making a decision.

Thanks,

Lynna
--
Resource Centre Database Coordinator
Gallery 44

Re: Anyone used pgHoster.com?

От
nolan@celery.tssi.com
Дата:
> I saw a company called pgHoster (www.pghoster.com) listed on the
> techdocs.postgresql.com site and their prices for shared hosting seem to be
> in line with what we could afford (i.e. dirt cheap). But I'm wondering if
> anyone has any experience with them? I don't just want to jump into hosting
> with an unknown provider, so if I could get some feedback regarding their
> quality and reliability, that would be great.

I don't know how it might work in Toronto, but here in Nebraska the local
arts councils have been talking about setting up their own website
for the nonprofit organizations they fund, as part of a technology grant
that they received from a major foundation.

In any event, at some point I'd be interested in getting some information
about how you're using postgreSQL for gallery44, since I'm on the board
of a small nonprofit art center that could use a more powerful website.
--
Mike Nolan

Re: Anyone used pgHoster.com?

От
"James Moe"
Дата:

Re: Anyone used pgHoster.com?

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
I decided to look at jumpline, minimum of ~30.00 to get postgres. Does
not say if you get pl/pgsql with that or not, or daily backups, and lots
of other goodies. The price is fairly equivilent, otherwise, to pghoster.

Re: Anyone used pgHoster.com?

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 16 Jul 2003 at 17:11, Lynna Landstreet wrote:

> I saw a company called pgHoster (www.pghoster.com) listed on the
> techdocs.postgresql.com site and their prices for shared hosting seem
> to be in line with what we could afford (i.e. dirt cheap). But I'm
> wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I don't just want to
> jump into hosting with an unknown provider, so if I could get some
> feedback regarding their quality and reliability, that would be great.

I used them for a client.  Seems good enough for what you're getting.
From time to time, we had touble getting psql to work.  After using
dedicated servers for most of my work, it was quite odd to get into a
shared server arrangement.

One point of advice: Test often. Test frequently.  Sometimes what
will work on a dedicated server, where you have full control, won't
work on a shared server.  Things are often done differently when you
need to play well with others.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/