Обсуждение: Firebird vrs Postgresql

Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
Erick Dennis
Дата:
Hello,

had Somebody compared Postgresql vrs Firebird? What is the main
diferent between this DBs? performance? support? flexibility?.

Best Regards!

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
"Dann Corbit"
> had Somebody compared Postgresql vrs Firebird? What is the main
> diferent between this DBs? performance? support? flexibility?.

Biggest similarity:
Open source

Biggest difference:
License type (Firebird is commercial)

Performance:
No idea.  Here is a simple test someone did:
http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
<<

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:26:54PM +0200, Erick Dennis wrote:

> had Somebody compared Postgresql vrs Firebird? What is the main
> diferent between this DBs? performance? support? flexibility?.

I've heard from two different and unrelated sources that Firebird
corrupted data for them; the only way out was with backups.  They didn't
have problems with PostgreSQL, so I guess that make it unlikely that the
problem was hardware issues.

I'm also told that Firebird's numerical datatypes handling is horrible.
I don't have personal experience with it though.

"Crear es tan dificil como ser libre" (Elsa Triolet)

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
"Derek Hamilton"
Дата:
I'm not sure this is still the case, but I recently chose PostgreSQL over
Firebird because Firebird requires direct access to the database file.
There is no way to access it via TCP/IP with drivers, etc.  That killed
Firebird in my mind.

Derek

> had Somebody compared Postgresql vrs Firebird? What is the main
> diferent between this DBs? performance? support? flexibility?.
>
> Best Regards!

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
"Darko Prenosil"
> had Somebody compared Postgresql vrs Firebird? What is the main
> diferent between this DBs? performance? support? flexibility?.
>>
>Biggest similarity:
>Open source

>Biggest difference:
>License type (Firebird is commercial)

Not quite, it is published under "Interbase Public License", and You do not
need to pay anything to use it.

    I was playing a little with it, tried it on Linux and Windows. It was
the time when it was under heavy development, but I remember that I liked
it's client interface. There were also a whole bunch of useful tools like
IBObjects, IBAcess etc. So if You are Delphi or Borland C++ programmer,
You'll hardly find better interfaces and better tools for any other DB
(IBObjects has very complex and very good data-aware components).

    I find PostgreSQL more robust, secure and what is most important -
flexible. You can create your own types, casts, conversions, languages etc.
For example check for "pgbash" package and You'll se what I mean (it is bash
with direct support for executing SQL commands for PostgreSQL)
What I like with postgres is that You do not need commercial support for it:
You will always get answer on Your questions, all You need to do is ask.

Regards !

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
Markus Bertheau
Дата:
В Втр, 15.07.2003, в 23:32, Derek Hamilton пишет:
> I'm not sure this is still the case, but I recently chose PostgreSQL over
> Firebird because Firebird requires direct access to the database file.
> There is no way to access it via TCP/IP with drivers, etc.  That killed
> Firebird in my mind.

It's not like that anymore, you "just" need to know the path to the
database file on the remote server. It has the ability to spread a
database over several files to overcome OS limitations to the file size,
but it's not transparent iirc. Firebirds concept of a database name in
PostgreSQL is a filename on the servers file system. Other that that
it's a serious database.

--
Markus Bertheau.
Berlin, Berlin.

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On 16 Jul 2003, Markus Bertheau wrote:

> В Втр, 15.07.2003, в 23:32, Derek Hamilton пишет:
> > I'm not sure this is still the case, but I recently chose PostgreSQL over
> > Firebird because Firebird requires direct access to the database file.
> > There is no way to access it via TCP/IP with drivers, etc.  That killed
> > Firebird in my mind.
>
> It's not like that anymore, you "just" need to know the path to the
> database file on the remote server. It has the ability to spread a
> database over several files to overcome OS limitations to the file size,
> but it's not transparent iirc. Firebirds concept of a database name in
> PostgreSQL is a filename on the servers file system. Other that that
> it's a serious database.

I think that issue is being fixed in v 1.5, which is in beta right now.

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
Andrew Gould
Дата:
--- Derek Hamilton <derek@capweb.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure this is still the case, but I recently
> chose PostgreSQL over
> Firebird because Firebird requires direct access to
> the database file.
> There is no way to access it via TCP/IP with
> drivers, etc.  That killed
> Firebird in my mind.
>
> Derek

It's my understanding that direct access is one of the
access modes that you can choose.  Networked,
client-server options are available.

For what it's worth, when I looked at Firebird, I
noted:

1. Multi-table updates were not available as a single
SQL statement.  There were programming work-arounds
for this, of course; but why work so hard?

2. You could import a fixed-width data file; but not a
delimited file.  In PostgreSQL, you could COPY a data
file that uses a single delimiter; but COPY does not
handle fixed-width data files. (Please correct me if
I'm wrong on this.)

3. Firebird is available for Windows and Unixish
operating systems such as Linux, FreeBSD, etc.

4. I couldn't find the documentation to tell me where
to start once I installed the database server. (This
may have been obvious to a DBA.)

(Regarding #3: What is the proper way to refer to
Unix, Linux, FreeBSD, etc., collectively?)

Have fun,

Andrew Gould

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
Ian Barwick
Дата:
On Wednesday 16 July 2003 00:32, Andrew Gould wrote:

> 4. I couldn't find the documentation to tell me where
> to start once I installed the database server. (This
> may have been obvious to a DBA.)

Here:
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=ibp_download
there is a "Firebird Quick Start Guide" which provides useful orientation
for the uninitiated (or those merely poking about ;-). Note that
the docs are for 1.0x, some things described seem to have changed
in the 1.5 betas.

> (Regarding #3: What is the proper way to refer to
> Unix, Linux, FreeBSD, etc., collectively?)

Unixen, or possibly GNU/Unixen ? ;-)

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 17:45, Ian Barwick wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 July 2003 00:32, Andrew Gould wrote:
>
> > 4. I couldn't find the documentation to tell me where
> > to start once I installed the database server. (This
> > may have been obvious to a DBA.)
>
> Here:
> http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=ibp_download
> there is a "Firebird Quick Start Guide" which provides useful orientation
> for the uninitiated (or those merely poking about ;-). Note that
> the docs are for 1.0x, some things described seem to have changed
> in the 1.5 betas.
>
> > (Regarding #3: What is the proper way to refer to
> > Unix, Linux, FreeBSD, etc., collectively?)
>
> Unixen, or possibly GNU/Unixen ? ;-)

Sun might get peeved at Solaris being clumped in as part of GNU/Unixen!

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| 4 degrees from Vladimir Putin

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 17:54, Darko Prenosil wrote:
> >Biggest difference:
> >License type (Firebird is commercial)
>
> Not quite, it is published under "Interbase Public License", and You do not
> need to pay anything to use it.

Anyone know if the license is approved by the fsf? Or to put it another
way just because you don't have to pay doesn't mean its free".

Robert Treat

Re: Firebird vrs Postgresql

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On 15 Jul 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 17:45, Ian Barwick wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 July 2003 00:32, Andrew Gould wrote:
> >
> > > 4. I couldn't find the documentation to tell me where
> > > to start once I installed the database server. (This
> > > may have been obvious to a DBA.)
> >
> > Here:
> > http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=ibp_download
> > there is a "Firebird Quick Start Guide" which provides useful orientation
> > for the uninitiated (or those merely poking about ;-). Note that
> > the docs are for 1.0x, some things described seem to have changed
> > in the 1.5 betas.
> >
> > > (Regarding #3: What is the proper way to refer to
> > > Unix, Linux, FreeBSD, etc., collectively?)
> >
> > Unixen, or possibly GNU/Unixen ? ;-)
>
> Sun might get peeved at Solaris being clumped in as part of GNU/Unixen!

True, but most Sun Sysadmins I know install all of the GNU utils right
after they install Solaris.  I think Sun has a seperate disk now with all
the GNU stuff on it, don't they?

Still, they might not find it too funny to be GNU/Solaris.  :-)