Обсуждение: postgresql.org is unreliable

postgresql.org is unreliable

От
"Reuben D. Budiardja"
Дата:
Hi
Does anyone else find the site postgresql.org kinda unreliable? Many times
it's stalled for a while. And it's not just today, but very often. It's
really frustrating especially when I regularly use it to look up
documentation.

Is there any mirror to the site ?

Thanks.
RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy

Re: postgresql.org is unreliable

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 06:12:44PM -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> Does anyone else find the site postgresql.org kinda unreliable? Many times
> it's stalled for a while. And it's not just today, but very often. It's
> really frustrating especially when I regularly use it to look up
> documentation.

Yeah, I think it's not what one would expect.  Sometimes I also hate
that the plain documentation needs to use a PHP script for displaying --
it'd probably be faster with direct access.

Because of this I just downloaded the documentation tarball from
ftp.postgresql.org... of course it's also much faster having it on a
local machine.

> Is there any mirror to the site ?

The problem is the site is database backed.  Someone suggested using a
replicating setup some days ago and Marc Fournier thought it was a good
idea, so hopefully it's on someone's TODO list.

"El realista sabe lo que quiere; el idealista quiere lo que sabe" (Anonimo)

Re: postgresql.org is unreliable

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> Hi
> Does anyone else find the site postgresql.org kinda unreliable? Many times
> it's stalled for a while. And it's not just today, but very often. It's
> really frustrating especially when I regularly use it to look up
> documentation.

Is it specifically the documentation, or the whole site, or?  I just
looked over the server, and loadavg is normal (avg <5) ... and I find her
responsive ...

The other question is what sort of net lag are you seeing, if any?

> Is there any mirror to the site ?

New mirror system is just about to go live ... just finishing up some DNS
stuff for it ...

Re: postgresql.org is unreliable

От
"Reuben D. Budiardja"
Дата:
On Tuesday 01 July 2003 06:27 pm, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > Hi
> > Does anyone else find the site postgresql.org kinda unreliable? Many
> > times it's stalled for a while. And it's not just today, but very often.
> > It's really frustrating especially when I regularly use it to look up
> > documentation.
>
> Is it specifically the documentation, or the whole site, or?  I just
> looked over the server, and loadavg is normal (avg <5) ... and I find her
> responsive ...

I don't know about the whole site, since I usually only browse docs. Right now
it seems only the docs. For example, clicking on 7.2 Interactive docs just
give me page loading...

> The other question is what sort of net lag are you seeing, if any?

I am not sure what you meant by net lag. But using recent Mozilla for example,
often time I got page "loading" for a long ... time. And this happen
frequently, but in some other time the site is responsive.

I don't have any problem withany other site or other internet connection
related problems, so I'm inclined to suspect the problem is not on my end.

Thanks for checking this out though.
RDB

> > Is there any mirror to the site ?
>
> New mirror system is just about to go live ... just finishing up some DNS
> stuff for it ...

Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy
/"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML
\ /  email and proprietary format
 X   attachments.
/ \
Have you been used by Microsoft today?
Choose your life. Choose freedom.
Choose LINUX.

Re: postgresql.org is unreliable

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 July 2003 06:27 pm, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > Does anyone else find the site postgresql.org kinda unreliable? Many
> > > times it's stalled for a while. And it's not just today, but very often.
> > > It's really frustrating especially when I regularly use it to look up
> > > documentation.
> >
> > Is it specifically the documentation, or the whole site, or?  I just
> > looked over the server, and loadavg is normal (avg <5) ... and I find her
> > responsive ...
>
> I don't know about the whole site, since I usually only browse docs. Right now
> it seems only the docs. For example, clicking on 7.2 Interactive docs just
> give me page loading...

'K, just went to the site from here, went docs and went to 7.2
Interactive, and it all loaded fast ... do a 'search' on the docs, and it
seems to stall, but that is only when I hit the database backend for the
search engine itself, and it reports that its only taking 6sec to get the
results ...

Search results: (6.679 sec)  mvcc : 9

Can you tell me how archives.postgresql.org performs from your end?  Its a
different database, but its about the same size, using mnogosearch, but I
think its a newer version of it, and I don't have the file caching setup
that I believe Dave has setup for the docs side ...

Re: postgresql.org is unreliable

От
"Reuben D. Budiardja"
Дата:
On Tuesday 01 July 2003 06:54 pm, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it specifically the documentation, or the whole site, or?  I just
> > > looked over the server, and loadavg is normal (avg <5) ... and I find
> > > her responsive ...
> >
> > I don't know about the whole site, since I usually only browse docs.
> > Right now it seems only the docs. For example, clicking on 7.2
> > Interactive docs just give me page loading...
>
> 'K, just went to the site from here, went docs and went to 7.2
> Interactive, and it all loaded fast ... do a 'search' on the docs, and it
> seems to stall, but that is only when I hit the database backend for the
> search engine itself, and it reports that its only taking 6sec to get the
> results ...
>
> Search results: (6.679 sec)  mvcc : 9
>
> Can you tell me how archives.postgresql.org performs from your end?

OK, something really screwy is going on here. I am not sure what. I restarted
Mozilla thinking that it might be the cause. I can search the docs for a
while, but then it happenned again.
Also, I often browse Bruce Momjian's tutorial at:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/index.html

which I thought is just static pages. And it also often stalls there too, even
after restating mozilla

I tried with links (text browser) and haven't had any problems so far.

archives.postgresql.org seems fine though, although I haven't really search a
lot there.

Not really sure what's wrong, but I might upgrade to the latest mozilla, to
see if it's browser problem, or take it up to their mailing list.

Thanks.
RDB

Re: postgresql.org is unreliable

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 July 2003 06:54 pm, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > I don't know about the whole site, since I usually only browse docs.
> > > Right now it seems only the docs. For example, clicking on 7.2
> > > Interactive docs just give me page loading...
> >
> > 'K, just went to the site from here, went docs and went to 7.2
> > Interactive, and it all loaded fast ... do a 'search' on the docs, and it
> > seems to stall, but that is only when I hit the database backend for the
> > search engine itself, and it reports that its only taking 6sec to get the
> > results ...
> >
> > Search results: (6.679 sec)  mvcc : 9
> >
> > Can you tell me how archives.postgresql.org performs from your end?
>
> OK, something really screwy is going on here. I am not sure what. I restarted
> Mozilla thinking that it might be the cause. I can search the docs for a
> while, but then it happenned again.
> Also, I often browse Bruce Momjian's tutorial at:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/index.html
>
> which I thought is just static pages. And it also often stalls there too, even
> after restating mozilla
>
> I tried with links (text browser) and haven't had any problems so far.
>
> archives.postgresql.org seems fine though, although I haven't really search a
> lot there.
>
> Not really sure what's wrong, but I might upgrade to the latest mozilla, to
> see if it's browser problem, or take it up to their mailing list.

What OS are you running on?  I take it, from using links, that its Unix
based?

I'm using Mozilla on XP (its my home machine), and I see a delay on
searching the docs, but figure that is due to the size of teh database
beign searched ... but haven't noticed any 'stalls' :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: postgresql.org is unreliable

От
"Reuben D. Budiardja"
Дата:
On Tuesday 01 July 2003 08:47 pm, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
<snip>
> What OS are you running on?  I take it, from using links, that its Unix
> based?

I am on Redhat Linux 7.3.

I just upgrade to the last stable mozilla, and it seems fine, at least for now
with initial try. Still don't know what's wrong.

Thanks.

RDB

Re: postgresql.org is unreliable

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> I just upgrade to the last stable mozilla, and it seems fine, at least for now
> with initial try. Still don't know what's wrong.

I'd be curious as to whether or not you are getting any packet loss
between your machine and www.postgresql.org, specifically around the time
where you are finding it stalling ...