Обсуждение: Cast your vote ...

Cast your vote ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Just got this in my mailbox:

2002 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597decd6c56ad8&threadid=39870

And we are way behind MySQL (like, d'ah!):

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/poll.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597decd6c56ad8&action=showresults&pollid=168

The problem, of course, is that you have to be a registered member to
vote, so its not an 'open poll' ...

Re: Cast your vote ...

От
Peter Childs
Дата:
On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Just got this in my mailbox:
>
> 2002 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597decd6c56ad8&threadid=39870
>
> And we are way behind MySQL (like, d'ah!):
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/poll.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597decd6c56ad8&action=showresults&pollid=168
>
> The problem, of course, is that you have to be a registered member to
> vote, so its not an 'open poll' ...

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

    Open Poll? Its free to register, so really its to try and stop
people voting twice. They don't even want that much data just your E-Mail
address. (The rest is optional)
    The problem with Web Polls is that people can always vote more
than once making any result totally meaning less what ever you do.
Ensuring an election is anoumous, free and fare is VERY difficult.

Peter Childs

Re: [HACKERS] Cast your vote ...

От
Daniel Kalchev
Дата:
Registration is easy, and pretty much anonymous... worth to promote our
beloved database. :)

Happy New Year,

Daniel

>>>"Marc G. Fournier" said:
 >
 > Just got this in my mailbox:
 >
 > 2002 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards:
 >
 > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd525
     97decd6c56ad8&threadid=39870

 > And we are way behind MySQL (like, d'ah!):
 >
 > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/poll.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597decd
     6c56ad8&action=showresults&pollid=168

 > The problem, of course, is that you have to be a registered member to
 > vote, so its not an 'open poll' ...

Re: Cast your vote ...

От
"Charles H. Woloszynski"
Дата:
Yeah, the registration was painless and enough options to disable it
annoying you. Count my vote cast for PostgreSQL.  I encourage everyone
else to do the same.  In the big picture, marketing statements like this
survey mean alot more than most technical folks want to acknowledge.

Please vote for your favorite database.

Charlie

Peter Childs wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>>Just got this in my mailbox:
>>
>>2002 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards:
>>
>>http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597decd6c56ad8&threadid=39870
>>
>>And we are way behind MySQL (like, d'ah!):
>>
>>http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/poll.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597decd6c56ad8&action=showresults&pollid=168
>>
>>The problem, of course, is that you have to be a registered member to
>>vote, so its not an 'open poll' ...

>>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>>

>    Open Poll? Its free to register, so really its to try and stop
>people voting twice. They don't even want that much data just your E-Mail
>address. (The rest is optional)
>    The problem with Web Polls is that people can always vote more
>than once making any result totally meaning less what ever you do.
>Ensuring an election is anoumous, free and fare is VERY difficult.
>
>Peter Childs

Charles H. Woloszynski

ClearMetrix, Inc.
115 Research Drive
Bethlehem, PA 18015

tel: 610-419-2210 x400
fax: 240-371-3256
web: www.clearmetrix.com

Re: Cast your vote ...

От
"Warren Massengill"
Дата:
We're now two votes ahead of mySQL ... for the moment.

Warren

>From: "Charles H. Woloszynski" <chw@clearmetrix.com>
>To: Peter Childs <blue.dragon@blueyonder.co.uk>
>CC: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>,pgsql-announce@postgresql.org,
>pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org,pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Cast your vote ...
>Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 07:53:17 -0500
>
>Yeah, the registration was painless and enough options to disable it
>annoying you. Count my vote cast for PostgreSQL.  I encourage everyone else
>to do the same.  In the big picture, marketing statements like this survey
>mean alot more than most technical folks want to acknowledge.
>
>Please vote for your favorite database.
>
>Charlie
>

>Peter Childs wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>

>>>Just got this in my mailbox:
>>>
>>>2002 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards:
>>>
>>>http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597decd6c56ad8&threadid=39870
>>>
>>>And we are way behind MySQL (like, d'ah!):
>>>
>>>http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/poll.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597decd6c56ad8&action=showresults&pollid=168
>>>
>>>The problem, of course, is that you have to be a registered member to
>>>vote, so its not an 'open poll' ...
>>>

>>>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>>>

>>    Open Poll? Its free to register, so really its to try and stop people
>>voting twice. They don't even want that much data just your E-Mail
>>address. (The rest is optional)
>>    The problem with Web Polls is that people can always vote more than once
>>making any result totally meaning less what ever you do. Ensuring an
>>election is anoumous, free and fare is VERY difficult.
>>
>>Peter Childs

>>TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
>>

>--
>

>Charles H. Woloszynski
>
>ClearMetrix, Inc.
>115 Research Drive
>Bethlehem, PA 18015
>
>tel: 610-419-2210 x400
>fax: 240-371-3256
>web: www.clearmetrix.com

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

Re: [HACKERS] Cast your vote ...

От
snpe
Дата:
Postgresql is first, now (51%, mysql 35%)

regards
Haris Peco
On Thursday 02 January 2003 08:53, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
> Registration is easy, and pretty much anonymous... worth to promote our
> beloved database. :)
>
> Happy New Year,
>
> Daniel

>  >
>  > Just got this in my mailbox:
>  >
>  > 2002 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards:
>  >
>  > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcec
>  >d525
>
>      97decd6c56ad8&threadid=39870
>
>  > And we are way behind MySQL (like, d'ah!):
>  >
>  > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/poll.php?s=78a8c06fbc1dcecd52597
>  >decd
>
>      6c56ad8&action=showresults&pollid=168
>
>  > The problem, of course, is that you have to be a registered member to
>  > vote, so its not an 'open poll' ...
>  >
>  >
>  > ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>  > TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>  >
>  > http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Re: Cast your vote ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
15 votes ahead ... just did the registration too ... thanks for those that
poitned out how painless/unobtrusive it is ...

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Warren Massengill wrote:

> We're now two votes ahead of mySQL ... for the moment.
>
> Warren
>

> >From: "Charles H. Woloszynski" <chw@clearmetrix.com>
> >To: Peter Childs <blue.dragon@blueyonder.co.uk>
> >CC: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>,pgsql-announce@postgresql.org,
> >pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org,pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> >Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Cast your vote ...
> >Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 07:53:17 -0500
> >
> >Yeah, the registration was painless and enough options to disable it
> >annoying you. Count my vote cast for PostgreSQL.  I encourage everyone else
> >to do the same.  In the big picture, marketing statements like this survey
> >mean alot more than most technical folks want to acknowledge.
> >
> >Please vote for your favorite database.
> >
> >Charlie
> >

> >Peter Childs wrote:

> >>    Open Poll? Its free to register, so really its to try and stop people
> >>voting twice. They don't even want that much data just your E-Mail
> >>address. (The rest is optional)
> >>    The problem with Web Polls is that people can always vote more than once
> >>making any result totally meaning less what ever you do. Ensuring an
> >>election is anoumous, free and fare is VERY difficult.
> >>
> >>Peter Childs
> >>

> >>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >>TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
> >>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
> >>

> >--
> >

> >Charles H. Woloszynski
> >
> >ClearMetrix, Inc.
> >115 Research Drive
> >Bethlehem, PA 18015
> >
> >tel: 610-419-2210 x400
> >fax: 240-371-3256
> >web: www.clearmetrix.com

> The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months
> http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

Re: [HACKERS] Cast your vote ...

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 2 Jan 2003 at 7:53, Charles H. Woloszynski wrote:

> Yeah, the registration was painless and enough options to disable it
> annoying you. Count my vote cast for PostgreSQL.  I encourage everyone
> else to do the same.  In the big picture, marketing statements like
> this survey mean alot more than most technical folks want to
> acknowledge.
>
> Please vote for your favorite database.

Coincidentally, I've just started up a voting script project... see
http://polls.unixathome.org/
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: [HACKERS] Cast your vote ...

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 2 Jan 2003 at 21:30, Jeroen T. Vermeulen wrote:

> > Coincidentally, I've just started up a voting script project... see
> > http://polls.unixathome.org/
>
> Does it support hanging chads?

Now is the time to decide that....
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: [HACKERS] Cast your vote ...

От
"Jeroen T. Vermeulen"
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:07:48PM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:

> > else to do the same.  In the big picture, marketing statements like
> > this survey mean alot more than most technical folks want to
> > acknowledge.

The figures would be a lot more interesting anyway if people bothered
to correlate results with user bases.  A vote from someone who knows
several of the contending products means a lot more to me than one
from someone who hasn't seen aything else.

> Coincidentally, I've just started up a voting script project... see
> http://polls.unixathome.org/

Does it support hanging chads?

Jeroen