Обсуждение: Re: [Pgreplication-general] Master/Slave is in town!

Re: [Pgreplication-general] Master/Slave is in town!

От
"Andy Samuel"
Дата:
This is certainly a good news !
Congratulations to you ( or to your team ) !!
I would like to personally say thank you for the great job !

Warmest regards
Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mabrouk CHOUK" <mchouk@cs.mcgill.ca>
To: <pgreplication-general@gborg.postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 9:09 PM
Subject: [Pgreplication-general] Master/Slave is in town!

> Hello All,
>
> I would like to announce that the Master/Slave approach to postgres is
> almost finished. I have presently a working system. I am presently testing
> the system and adding some "syntactic suger", i.e. making it nice and
> sweet.
>
> I am testing the new system on two solaris machines (one Master and one
> Slave). I will provide the new system for the general community for
> testing on a hopefully much larger cluster as soon as I wrap it up and
> have it approved by Dr. Bettina Kemme.
>
> There are many changes that I integrated into postgres. The main part of
> these changes are in the replication module, i.e. the replication manager
> process, the group communication process and the remote backends. This
> e-mail will be quite large if I have to describe all the changes. However,
> I have a suggestion: the replicationManager.c file have been dramatically
> reduced and simplified, to the point that I suggest renaming the new file
> to something like "MasterSlaveRMgr.c" or something alike. The reasons
> behind this is avoid confusion with the old update-everywhere file, and to
> make easier for developers to follow the changes to the system, and to
> make improvements to it if need be.
>
> The general direction of my near-future work will be the following:
>
> 1. failure over integration of both the Mater and any slave: the system
> has to be robust enough to handle failure of any host.
>
> 2. user transparent recovery mechanisms for both the Master and any Slave.
>
> I will be posting design suggestions on how I intend to pursue these two
> goals. As usual, any comments/suggestions that might help me design a
> better algorithm are very welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mabrouk

Re: [Pgreplication-general] Master/Slave is in town!

От
Kevin Brannen
Дата:
I agree, a hearty "Good Job!".

Now for the question we're all dieing to know, umm, will this be
included in the 7.3 release?

Kevin

Andy Samuel wrote:
> This is certainly a good news !
> Congratulations to you ( or to your team ) !!
> I would like to personally say thank you for the great job !
>
> Warmest regards
> Andy

Neil Conway
Дата:
Kevin Brannen <kevinb@nurseamerica.net> writes:
> Now for the question we're all dieing to know, umm, will this be
> included in the 7.3 release?

I can't speak for the core developers, but IMHO the chances of this
being included in 7.3 are basically zero.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: [Pgreplication-general] Master/Slave is in town!

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 13:55, Neil Conway wrote:
> Kevin Brannen <kevinb@nurseamerica.net> writes:
> > Now for the question we're all dieing to know, umm, will this be
> > included in the 7.3 release?
>
> I can't speak for the core developers, but IMHO the chances of this
> being included in 7.3 are basically zero.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil

It might be nice to point out this has more to do with beta being about
3 days away rather than any quality of code issues... (For the record
I'm not a core developer either, but I think this is a fair assumption)

Robert Treat

Re: [Pgreplication-general] Master/Slave is in town!

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 13:55, Neil Conway wrote:
> > Kevin Brannen <kevinb@nurseamerica.net> writes:
> > > Now for the question we're all dieing to know, umm, will this be
> > > included in the 7.3 release?
> >
> > I can't speak for the core developers, but IMHO the chances of this
> > being included in 7.3 are basically zero.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Neil
> >

> It might be nice to point out this has more to do with beta being about
> 3 days away rather than any quality of code issues... (For the record
> I'm not a core developer either, but I think this is a fair assumption)

Yes, zero chance for 7.3.  However, we have point-in-time recovery and a
Win32 port all almost ready for application, so if we can get those
three in, we can shoot for a 7.4 fairly quickly.

Re: [Pgreplication-general] Master/Slave is in town!

От
"Ned Lilly"
Дата:
> Yes, zero chance for 7.3.  However, we have point-in-time recovery and a
> Win32 port all almost ready for application, so if we can get those
> three in, we can shoot for a 7.4 fairly quickly.

Boy, that's starting to sound like an 8.0 ;-)

Ned Lilly wrote:
> > Yes, zero chance for 7.3.  However, we have point-in-time recovery and a
> > Win32 port all almost ready for application, so if we can get those
> > three in, we can shoot for a 7.4 fairly quickly.
>
> Boy, that's starting to sound like an 8.0 ;-)

Yes.  We are resisting a delay to get those all in, but I think a quick
release after 7.3 is very possible.

Re: [Pgreplication-general] Master/Slave is in town!

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 03:38:17PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes.  We are resisting a delay to get those all in, but I think a quick
> release after 7.3 is very possible.

I note that, if you're right, the old six-months-and-release plan
would be back on track.  So we even get meta-level good news here :)

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: [Pgreplication-general] Master/Slave is in town!

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On 29 Aug 2002, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 13:55, Neil Conway wrote:
> > Kevin Brannen <kevinb@nurseamerica.net> writes:
> > > Now for the question we're all dieing to know, umm, will this be
> > > included in the 7.3 release?
> >
> > I can't speak for the core developers, but IMHO the chances of this
> > being included in 7.3 are basically zero.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Neil
> >

> It might be nice to point out this has more to do with beta being about
> 3 days away rather than any quality of code issues... (For the record
> I'm not a core developer either, but I think this is a fair assumption)

This is correct ... will have to wait for v7.4 ...