Обсуждение: Marketing and corporate identity

Marketing and corporate identity

От
tony
Дата:
I have been bored to death by the Postgres / PostgreSQL / ad nauseum
thread.

Coke and Coca-Cola are the same product manufactured by the same company

Postgres, PostgreSQL, pgSQL are the same insanely great database
software product.

THERE IS NO CONFUSION IN MOST PEOPLES MINDS!

Where confusion subsists - calm patient explanation will suffice.

And don't get me on to how it is pronounced in about 84 different
languages and dialects - IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER!!! It is different
enough as a name from competeing products while containing the three
magic letters- SQL. It can be pronounced in french, german and maybe
even japanese.

OK I'll stop shouting now but after 18 years in marketing /
communication I just wanted you to know that I think that the name is
just great the way that it is now.

Sheeez I even think that the elephant is a much better logo than a dumb
looking penguin...

We need books on how to integrate PostgreSQL with PHP, JSP, Zope
middleware in the shelves. We need more mind share - like "the free
alternative to xxxx" <- your favorite commercial rdbms here. That is
much more important than squabbling of the name.

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S
http://www.animaproductions.com/linux2.html

Re: Marketing and corporate identity

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Tuesday 09 July 2002 02:05 pm, tony wrote:
> Postgres, PostgreSQL, pgSQL are the same insanely great database
> software product.

> THERE IS NO CONFUSION IN MOST PEOPLES MINDS!

Thank you.  I completely agree with these statements; I also agree we are
doing a disservice by even discussing it.  It is PostgreSQL -- and that is
that.

Those who want a name change, do you have any idea how much work it will be to
effect a name change?

> We need books on how to integrate PostgreSQL with PHP, JSP, Zope
> middleware in the shelves. We need more mind share - like "the free
> alternative to xxxx" <- your favorite commercial rdbms here. That is
> much more important than squabbling of the name.

Amen.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio