Обсуждение: website design

website design

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
I'm looking for a new design for the main website.  The basic requirements
are:

1) No Frames
2) Elephant stays
3) Must be easy to maintain, add to, remove from, move things around ...
4) Easy to navigate

You don't have to integrate it.  The winning entry will have either
a text link at the bottom of each page or just credit - whichever
you prefer.

If you want to participate, set up a demo page(s) and email me a link
to the page(s) at webmaster@postgresql.org.  Try to get your submissions
in before July 15th.

Vince.

Re: website design

От
"Jeff MacDonald"
Дата:
Just a suggestion, but is the page allowed to be database driven,
ie: something like a blog [us pre existing code like slashcode or
postnuke or something]

or does it have to be static to support the mirroring that is currently
in place.

just curious.

thakns.

Re: website design

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> Just a suggestion, but is the page allowed to be database driven,
> ie: something like a blog [us pre existing code like slashcode or
> postnuke or something]
>
> or does it have to be static to support the mirroring that is currently
> in place.

Content can be read from files since we're using php, but that would be
part of the implementation.

Vince.

Re: website design

От
"Arguile"
Дата:
> 2) Elephant stays

You wouldn't happen to have a higher resolution copy, a layered version (ala
Photoshop), etc.? Playing around with the spiced and anti-aliased one
doesn't look so great.

Re: website design

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Arguile wrote:

> > 2) Elephant stays
>
> You wouldn't happen to have a higher resolution copy, a layered version (ala
> Photoshop), etc.? Playing around with the spiced and anti-aliased one
> doesn't look so great.

http://www.XX.postgresql.org/images/pg_diamond_210x180_blue.gif
http://www.XX.postgresql.org/images/pg_diamond_210x180_white.gif

replace XX with the country code of the mirror you use.  eg. us for the
US mirror.

They're only on the main machine now, but should be everywhere in the
next 24 hours.  It'll be on the US mirror within 6 hours.

Vince.

Re: website design

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> Just a suggestion, but is the page allowed to be database driven,
> ie: something like a blog [us pre existing code like slashcode or
> postnuke or something]
>
> or does it have to be static to support the mirroring that is currently
> in place.

has to be mirrorable ... vince and I have tried, in the past, to think of
a good way of making it both dynamic *and* mirrorable, but never was able
to come up with what we thought were clean methods ... if you can think of
something, please feel free to propose it though, since there are various
projects we are working on that are going to be more database driven, and,
therefore, less mirrorable ;(

Re: website design

От
"Jeff MacDonald"
Дата:
Would this be a good "in practice" way to show off the replication features
?

Re: website design

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> Would this be a good "in practice" way to show off the replication features
> ?

would be except that now you are *really* throwing more heavy duty
requirements for the mirror sites themselves ... it was enough that we
required PHP4 ... requiring them to run a database to go along with that
would just be pure evil :)

Re: website design

От
"Jeff MacDonald"
Дата:
Eekk.. good point. back to the drawing board..

Could we get a list of folks that would be willing to run a replicated
server,
make them into a "server pool" and get the mirrors to connect to them..

I'm not sure if that would be a great solution, cause i'm not sure if most
of the traffic is because of images, static code, or whatever would be
coming
from the database...

I guess at the very least it's still good for discussion.

Re: website design

От
Francisco Reyes
Дата:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> Eekk.. good point. back to the drawing board..
>
> Could we get a list of folks that would be willing to run a replicated
> server,
> make them into a "server pool" and get the mirrors to connect to them..
>
> I'm not sure if that would be a great solution, cause i'm not sure if most
> of the traffic is because of images, static code, or whatever would be
> coming
> from the database...
>
> I guess at the very least it's still good for discussion.

It would also be a great test case and learning experience of distributed
databases and replication.

I would be very interested in further discussion along these lines.

I don't know about the existing site but perhaps we could split the
mirrors on DB mirrors and www mirrors. The list visible to users will only
list www mirrors.

We could have two DNS entries. One fixed to the main DB site and another
to a round robbin list of DB mirrors. The web site programs could try to
connect to the round robbin DBs first and if that fails then go to the
main site.

We could even have configuration files so mirror sites could
perhaps specify a preferred DB mirror and then the site would try the
preferred first, then the round robbin and then the primary site.

Re: website design

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> Would this be a good "in practice" way to show off the replication features
> ?

Looking from a security standpoint I'm not sure we'd want to.

Vince.

Re: website design

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

  Command Prompt would be willing to assist at multiple levels with this.

Francisco Reyes wrote:
[...]

TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command   (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: website design

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   Command Prompt would be willing to assist at multiple levels with this.

What we've had so far was alot of folks misunderstanding my original
request.  I'm currently not as worried about making the site dynamic
as I am coming up with a new design.  The design isn't for the mirror
page, that's something we've already had in the works.  Part of that
is what Devrim posted a link to.  That's not what I'm looking for in
this quest.  This is for the main site.  Users lounge (if that name
even stays), interfaces, docs, news, download, etc.  It's the stuff
that everyone mirrors.

Vince.