Обсуждение: email time warps

email time warps

От
Mike Castle
Дата:
Is it just me, or did any one else just see messages coming in from May,
2001?

It seems that, oftentimes, messages show up that are close to a week old.

But this is the first time that I've _noticed_ ones that old.

Does someone need to run sendmail -q (or equivalent) on the server a little
more often?  :->

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/

Re: email time warps

От
Mike Castle
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:28:35AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> so that any further regurgitations won't get through.  Are you seeing
> new old stuff?  I'm not...

Well, I just saw some items dated May, 2001.  I didn't save them though.

However, since I sent that email, I've received the following:

   6 N   Nov 16 James Huang     (  97) [GENERAL] [ANN] A Genuine JDBC Scripting
  10 N   Nov 18 Eric Theis      (  16) [ADMIN] Postmaster will not start???
  11 N   Nov 19 Raoul Callaghan (  61) [GENERAL] Postmaster on OSX 10.1.1 what's
  12 N   Nov 18 Peter Ondruska  (  23) [GENERAL] build fails on Solaris 8 x_86 w
  15 N   Nov 19 dino ck         (   8) [SQL] How to return more than one row of
  16 N   Nov 19 Neil Zanella    (  17) [GENERAL] checking date format with postg

Now, the 19th doesn't really surprise me.  After all, I know that email is
not supposed to be an instaneous communication medium.

However, the 16th?

Upon closer inspection, is shows:

        by rs.postgresql.org (8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id fAK5bpx39293
        for <dalgoda@ix.netcom.com>; Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:38:16 -0600 (CST)
        (envelope-from pgsql-general-owner+M17719=ix.netcom.com=dalgoda@postgresql.org)

        by postgresql.org (8.11.3/8.11.4) with ESMTP id fAH85Nm65518
        for <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>; Sat, 17 Nov 2001 03:05:23 -0500 (EST)
        (envelope-from news@news.tht.net)

Looks like maybe degoogleja is a little behind the times?

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/

Re: email time warps

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Mike Castle wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:28:35AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > so that any further regurgitations won't get through.  Are you seeing
> > new old stuff?  I'm not...
>
> Well, I just saw some items dated May, 2001.  I didn't save them though.
>
> However, since I sent that email, I've received the following:
>
>    6 N   Nov 16 James Huang     (  97) [GENERAL] [ANN] A Genuine JDBC Scripting
>   10 N   Nov 18 Eric Theis      (  16) [ADMIN] Postmaster will not start???

This isn't unusual.  If someone posts and isn't subscribed the message
waits for Marc to approve it.  This isn't the same as the massive dumping
that happened on the php list the other day, those came from a site in
Russia - someone more than likely injected them by accident.

Vince.

Re: email time warps

Дата:
Mike Castle <dalgoda@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> Now, the 19th doesn't really surprise me.  After all, I know that email is
> not supposed to be an instaneous communication medium.
> However, the 16th?

That would be stuff that was delayed for moderator approval by majordomo
(nonmember postings, things that look suspiciously like administrivia
requests, etc).  Marc usually is a few days behind on processing that
queue ... every couple days he cleans it out and we get a burst of
slightly-old mail.

            regards, tom lane

Re: email time warps

Дата:
Mike Castle <dalgoda@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> Is it just me, or did any one else just see messages coming in from May,
> 2001?

A day or two back there was some machine in Russia regurgitating old
messages as if they were fresh postings ---- looking at the Received:
lines showed the culprit.  But I don't recall having seen anything older
than about September from that source.  Marc's unsubscribed that person