Обсуждение: manuals

manuals

От
newsreader@mediaone.net (reader of news)
Дата:
I'm a newbie.

I have printed out nearly 2 mb of postscript manuals without
realizing that they are for 6.5.  I'm going to use 7.0.3
and would like to know whether I'm foolish to rely on 6.5 manuals.

I really don't feel like wasting paper and printing 7.0 manual and
dumping 6.5.

Who put 6.5 manuals on top of 7.0 on that web page?  Not everyone has
72 inch monitor you know.

Re: manuals

> I'm a newbie.
>
> I have printed out nearly 2 mb of postscript manuals without
> realizing that they are for 6.5.  I'm going to use 7.0.3
> and would like to know whether I'm foolish to rely on 6.5 manuals.
>
> I really don't feel like wasting paper and printing 7.0 manual and
> dumping 6.5.
>
> Who put 6.5 manuals on top of 7.0 on that web page?  Not everyone has
> 72 inch monitor you know.

I thought I fixed that, but it seems to have moved again.  Vince, is
this the page that gets generated automatically?

Re: manuals

От
"Edward Q. Bridges"
Дата:
you could also just buy bruce's book .
amazon could have it delivered to you
faster than printing them all out again
:)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:05:44 -0500 (EST), Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I'm a newbie.
> >
> > I have printed out nearly 2 mb of postscript manuals without
> > realizing that they are for 6.5.  I'm going to use 7.0.3
> > and would like to know whether I'm foolish to rely on 6.5 manuals.
> >
> > I really don't feel like wasting paper and printing 7.0 manual and
> > dumping 6.5.
> >
> > Who put 6.5 manuals on top of 7.0 on that web page?  Not everyone has
> > 72 inch monitor you know.
> >

> I thought I fixed that, but it seems to have moved again.  Vince, is
> this the page that gets generated automatically?

Re: manuals

Дата:
> > > Who put 6.5 manuals on top of 7.0 on that web page?  Not everyone has
> > > 72 inch monitor you know.
> > >

> > I thought I fixed that, but it seems to have moved again.  Vince, is
> > this the page that gets generated automatically?
> >

> Don't fix anything.  We discussed things generated via a script.   This
> is one of those things and there's a link at the top of the page to take
> you either to the current version or the development version.

But 6.5 isn't even our current version.

Re: manuals

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I'm a newbie.
> >
> > I have printed out nearly 2 mb of postscript manuals without
> > realizing that they are for 6.5.  I'm going to use 7.0.3
> > and would like to know whether I'm foolish to rely on 6.5 manuals.
> >
> > I really don't feel like wasting paper and printing 7.0 manual and
> > dumping 6.5.
> >
> > Who put 6.5 manuals on top of 7.0 on that web page?  Not everyone has
> > 72 inch monitor you know.
> >

> I thought I fixed that, but it seems to have moved again.  Vince, is
> this the page that gets generated automatically?

Don't fix anything.  We discussed things generated via a script.   This
is one of those things and there's a link at the top of the page to take
you either to the current version or the development version.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: manuals

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:

> > > I thought I fixed that, but it seems to have moved again.  Vince, is
> > > this the page that gets generated automatically?
> > >

> > Don't fix anything.  We discussed things generated via a script.   This
> > is one of those things and there's a link at the top of the page to take
> > you either to the current version or the development version.
>
> But 6.5 isn't even our current version.

Your point?   This appears at the TOP of the page with Documentation in
large bold type:

Documentation
Current Release Docs (ver 7.0)

Current Development Docs

The two lines that begin with Current are links.  Perhaps I should put
it bright blinking red text with arrows pointing to it?

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: manuals

Дата:
> > > Don't fix anything.  We discussed things generated via a script.   This
> > > is one of those things and there's a link at the top of the page to take
> > > you either to the current version or the development version.
> >
> > But 6.5 isn't even our current version.
> >

> Your point?   This appears at the TOP of the page with Documentation in
> large bold type:
>
> Documentation
> Current Release Docs (ver 7.0)
>
> Current Development Docs
>

> The two lines that begin with Current are links.  Perhaps I should put
> it bright blinking red text with arrows pointing to it?

Why can't we put the most current release at the top?

Re: manuals

Дата:
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> The two lines that begin with Current are links.  Perhaps I should put
> it bright blinking red text with arrows pointing to it?

Yeah, that's the ticket ;-)

Seriously, I can see Bruce's point here.  In my browser (Netscape
4.something) the lines that stand out are

    Documentation

    Version 6.5

    Version 7.0

these being bold, black, and about twice as large as the rest of the
text.  ISTM that the page structure you want the user to see is

    Current Release Docs

        multiple links here

    Development Version Docs

        probably just one cross-link here

    Old Version Docs

        multiple links here

The way you have it has all the same information, but the visual
structure of the page definitely gives pride of place to v6.5,
which is strange.

            regards, tom lane

Re: manuals

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> > The two lines that begin with Current are links.  Perhaps I should put
> > it bright blinking red text with arrows pointing to it?
>
> Yeah, that's the ticket ;-)
>
> Seriously, I can see Bruce's point here.  In my browser (Netscape
> 4.something) the lines that stand out are
>
>     Documentation
>
>     Version 6.5
>
>     Version 7.0
>
> these being bold, black, and about twice as large as the rest of the
> text.  ISTM that the page structure you want the user to see is
>
>     Current Release Docs
>
>         multiple links here
>
>     Development Version Docs
>
>         probably just one cross-link here
>
>     Old Version Docs
>
>         multiple links here
>
> The way you have it has all the same information, but the visual
> structure of the page definitely gives pride of place to v6.5,
> which is strange.
>
>             regards, tom lane

I made some changes, if anyone has trouble now they probably shouldn't be
reading the documentation.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: manuals

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, I'm getting my documentation from
the Users lounge link at the front page.
http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/users-lounge/docs/

Current Documentation had a header as the very first entry saying version
7.0.  Never thought that was a problem.

As for now, the link doesn't do anything when you click on Current Release
docs.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> > > The two lines that begin with Current are links.  Perhaps I should put
> > > it bright blinking red text with arrows pointing to it?
> >
> > Yeah, that's the ticket ;-)
> >
> > Seriously, I can see Bruce's point here.  In my browser (Netscape
> > 4.something) the lines that stand out are
> >
> > Documentation
> >
> > Version 6.5
> >
> > Version 7.0
> >
> > these being bold, black, and about twice as large as the rest of the
> > text.  ISTM that the page structure you want the user to see is
> >
> > Current Release Docs
> >
> > multiple links here
> >
> > Development Version Docs
> >
> > probably just one cross-link here
> >
> > Old Version Docs
> >
> > multiple links here
> >
> > The way you have it has all the same information, but the visual
> > structure of the page definitely gives pride of place to v6.5,
> > which is strange.
> >
> > regards, tom lane
> >

> I made some changes, if anyone has trouble now they probably shouldn't be
> reading the documentation.
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>  128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: manuals

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> Just to make sure I'm on the same page, I'm getting my documentation from
> the Users lounge link at the front page.
> http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/users-lounge/docs/
>
> Current Documentation had a header as the very first entry saying version
> 7.0.  Never thought that was a problem.
>
> As for now, the link doesn't do anything when you click on Current Release
> docs.

Here with both netscape 6 and netscape 4.76 it takes me to the 7.0 docs.

Vince.

> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

Дата:
Works now.  Maybe the mirror was broken or something.  I was sent to the
readysetnet page when I checked the first time.  The actual link at the time
I went to the site had an empty anchor (#).

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> > Just to make sure I'm on the same page, I'm getting my documentation
from
> > the Users lounge link at the front page.
> > http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/users-lounge/docs/
> >
> > Current Documentation had a header as the very first entry saying
version
> > 7.0.  Never thought that was a problem.
> >
> > As for now, the link doesn't do anything when you click on Current
Release
> > docs.
>
> Here with both netscape 6 and netscape 4.76 it takes me to the 7.0 docs.
>
> Vince.
>

> > Adam Lang
> > Systems Engineer
> > Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

"Martin A. Marques"
Дата:
El Mar 12 Dic 2000 11:05, Bruce Momjian escribió:

> I thought I fixed that, but it seems to have moved again.  Vince, is
> this the page that gets generated automatically?

Sorry, but where (in which manual) can I find specific information on how
TOAST works, how to use WAL, and how to make a good configuration (acctually
I want the options that I can put) of the pg_hda.conf file.

Saludos... ;-)

--
System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.