Обсуждение: Re[2]: [Please vote for postgresql!!!]

Re[2]: [Please vote for postgresql!!!]

От
Bruno Dickhoff
Дата:
Hello Bill,
Sunday, December 03, 2000, 9:18:12 PM, you wrote:

BB> Thanks for the tip.  Looked good enough to sign up for an account.
BB> The numbers I saw gave postgesql a significant lead.

So, my appeal for voting did it's job! Before I posted the mail, mysql was leading at
1200 to 450 (and 430 for interbase). Now it is 1461 for pgsql, 1.254 for mysql
and 432 for interbase...

I  hope all of us will frequently take a look at http://www.mycgiserver.com so
things won't get turned upside down again ;-)).

--
Best regards,
 Bruno                            mailto:bruno@dickhoff.de

RE: Re[2]: [Please vote for postgresql!!!]

От
"R.Munden"
looks like it backfired...they've reset the graph

GH
Дата:
On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 04:14:48PM -0600, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> looks like it backfired...they've reset the graph

Sheesh! Apparently *everybody* wants a recount.

gh

The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
just re-submit'd my vote ... maybe mycgiserver already has mysql installed
and is only doing the vote to satisfy some ppl, but don't really want to
install PgSQL? *raised eyebrow*

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Re[2]: [Please vote for postgresql!!!]

От
Matt Beauregard
Дата:
On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 09:20:51PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> just re-submit'd my vote ... maybe mycgiserver already has mysql installed
> and is only doing the vote to satisfy some ppl, but don't really want to
> install PgSQL? *raised eyebrow*

The counter was reset to 450ish twice just while I've been watching.
They mustn't be too keen on installing it...

--
Matt Beauregard
Information Technology Operations, DesignScape

Ph: +61 2 9361 4233   Fx: +61 2 9361 4633

Re: Re[2]: [Please vote for postgresql!!!]

От
GH
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 02:19:36PM +1100, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 09:20:51PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > just re-submit'd my vote ... maybe mycgiserver already has mysql installed
> > and is only doing the vote to satisfy some ppl, but don't really want to
> > install PgSQL? *raised eyebrow*
>
> The counter was reset to 450ish twice just while I've been watching.
> They mustn't be too keen on installing it...

Er, do they not suppose that people are watching them do these things?

gh

> --
> Matt Beauregard
> Information Technology Operations, DesignScape
>
> Ph: +61 2 9361 4233   Fx: +61 2 9361 4633

Re: Re[2]: [Please vote for postgresql!!!]

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
we could all email them asking why they keep resetting it in favor of
MySQL? :)

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, GH wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 02:19:36PM +1100, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> > On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 09:20:51PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > >
> > > just re-submit'd my vote ... maybe mycgiserver already has mysql installed
> > > and is only doing the vote to satisfy some ppl, but don't really want to
> > > install PgSQL? *raised eyebrow*
> >
> > The counter was reset to 450ish twice just while I've been watching.
> > They mustn't be too keen on installing it...
>
> Er, do they not suppose that people are watching them do these things?
>
> gh
>

> > --
> > Matt Beauregard
> > Information Technology Operations, DesignScape
> >
> > Ph: +61 2 9361 4233   Fx: +61 2 9361 4633

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Re[2]: [Please vote for postgresql!!!]

От
Bruno Dickhoff
Дата:
Matt,

here's some additional information about this issue, as quoted on the "recent news" of www.mycgiserver.com:

"2000-12-04 07:56:51 CET
As some people contacted us what was going on with the current survey (the PostgreSQL vote significantly decreased from
onesecond to another), we'd like to inform you, that, after some additional research, this correction from our side
turnedout to be unjustified.
The decrease was initially done because of a suspicion of mass-voting for the item in question. However, the
tremendiousvote increase for PostgreSQL was caused by a group of PostgreSQL supporters rather than abusive behavior."

> We just saw an interesting event... we took it upon ourselves to
> frequently check the current tally by writing a shell script to
> "fetch" it at 30 second intervals...

> !531 marauder@bofh:~$ florida
> 1<nobr><b>1496
> 2<nobr><b>1497
> 3<nobr><b>1498
> 4<nobr><b>1499
> 5<nobr><b>1501
> 6<nobr><b>1502
> 7<nobr><b>454
> 8<nobr><b>455
> 9<nobr><b>456

> The sneaky bastards tampered with the voting tallies!

Re: Re[2]: [Please vote for postgresql!!!]

От
Bruno Dickhoff
Дата:
Matt,
thank you for the alert! I contacted the webmaster of mycgiserver.com and told him that we are disappointed because the
counterhas been resetted.

They reacted very quick and re-entered the right counter value again, so by now postgresql leads by 1552 (postgresql)
to1295 (mysql). They just try to keep multiple votes out of the counting, because it is technically possible to click
unlimitedtimes on the link. It would have been better to ensure that every user can only vote once...

The webmaster sent me a mail and apologizes for the hazzle. Nice guys...!

Best wishes,
Bruno Dickhoff
Moenchengladbach, Germany

> We just saw an interesting event... we took it upon ourselves to
> frequently check the current tally by writing a shell script to
> "fetch" it at 30 second intervals...

> !531 marauder@bofh:~$ florida
> 1<nobr><b>1496
> 2<nobr><b>1497
> 3<nobr><b>1498
> 4<nobr><b>1499
> 5<nobr><b>1501
> 6<nobr><b>1502
> 7<nobr><b>454
> 8<nobr><b>455
> 9<nobr><b>456

> The sneaky bastards tampered with the voting tallies!

Re[4]: [Please vote for postgresql!!!]

От
Bruno Dickhoff
Дата:
Hello The,

THH> just re-submit'd my vote ... maybe mycgiserver already has mysql installed
THH> and is only doing the vote to satisfy some ppl, but don't really want to
THH> install PgSQL? *raised eyebrow*

No.  Like they said to me, they really don't want to install mysql, because it
lacks  some  features  you'll need for professional projects. What they really
want  is  to  support  a free db  system as backend for their upcoming support for
Enterprise  Java  Beans  (Entity  Beans).  In  fact  their first candidate was
Interbase 6, until I told them to take a look on postgresql.

So  the survey is just for information, they want to see what the users think.
That  does  not mean that they will take the "winner" of the survey, it's just
ONE parameter for their decision.

I  believe,  they  won't  take mysql, even if it gets 3 times as much votes as
postgresql.  In  my  opinion,  the  race  is  really  between  Interbase 6 and
postgresql.  I  would  like to see them support postgresql... Therefore, every
vote for postgresql is a good vote...