Обсуждение: Documenting timezone setting in initdb

Documenting timezone setting in initdb

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.

Unless objections I'll add it to the open commitfest.

    cheers ./daniel

Вложения

Re: Documenting timezone setting in initdb

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
> environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
> Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.
>
> Unless objections I'll add it to the open commitfest.

Looks good to me, applied. 9.4 is still open for docs patches so I
back-patched it there, as this is clearly an omission/bug.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Documenting timezone setting in initdb

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 11/15/14 7:19 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
> environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
> Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.

What is a "full time zone name"?  Where is that term documented?

Also, I wouldn't write "should use", but "will use".

Re: Documenting timezone setting in initdb

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
On 12 Dec 2014, at 05:16, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> On 11/15/14 7:19 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
>> environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
>> Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.
>
> What is a "full time zone name"?  Where is that term documented?

Full time zone name is the term used in section 8.5.3 for the America/New_York
style time zone names, perhaps linking to that section like how we link to the
locale section etc would be appropriate?

> Also, I wouldn't write "should use", but "will use".

Fair enough, that does make it clearer.

I can submit a patch with these changes if you want?

    cheers ./daniel

Вложения

Re: Documenting timezone setting in initdb

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 12/12/14 6:37 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2014, at 05:16, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/15/14 7:19 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> Setting the time zone of the newly created cluster from initdb via the
>>> environment variable isn't documented in the initdb section (but very handy).
>>> Attached is a patch adding a mention of TZ in the Environment section.
>>
>> What is a "full time zone name"?  Where is that term documented?
>
> Full time zone name is the term used in section 8.5.3 for the America/New_York
> style time zone names, perhaps linking to that section like how we link to the
> locale section etc would be appropriate?

Fixed it.  Thanks for the pointer.