Обсуждение: Links wrong in docs

Links wrong in docs

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

I noticed the other day that if you are viewing the release notes for a
particular version that the prev / next links are wrong. E.g., If I am
reading 8.1.8 and want to read 8.1.9 I have to hit previous, instead of
next.

Can we get this fixed?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Links wrong in docs

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jul 25, 2007, at 22:43 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I noticed the other day that if you are viewing the release notes
> for a particular version that the prev / next links are wrong.
> E.g., If I am reading 8.1.8 and want to read 8.1.9 I have to hit
> previous, instead of next.

I think it's because the releases are listed newest first, so when
you hit next you're not getting the next release, but the next
release notes. While perhaps a bit confusing on the individual pages,
I still think it's best to have the release notes in reverse
chronological order.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: Links wrong in docs

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2007, at 22:43 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> I noticed the other day that if you are viewing the release notes for a
>> particular version that the prev / next links are wrong. E.g., If I am
>> reading 8.1.8 and want to read 8.1.9 I have to hit previous, instead of
>> next.
>
> I think it's because the releases are listed newest first, so when you hit
> next you're not getting the next release, but the next release notes. While
> perhaps a bit confusing on the individual pages, I still think it's best to
> have the release notes in reverse chronological order.

Yeah.  It is confusing if you _think_ about it, but if you just use it,
it's fine (after all, we've been using it this way for years.  I mean
even Joshua used to use it and not notice it was backwards).

Probably the only thing you could actually do about it is change the
text in the link so it said "previous release" (resp. "next release")
instead of "next" (resp. "previous"), but I have zero idea what it would
take.  It's probably a lot more work than it's worth, if it's possible
at all.

Re: Links wrong in docs

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2007, at 22:43 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> I noticed the other day that if you are viewing the release notes for
>> a particular version that the prev / next links are wrong. E.g., If I
>> am reading 8.1.8 and want to read 8.1.9 I have to hit previous,
>> instead of next.
>
> I think it's because the releases are listed newest first,

I know *why* :). It is still wrong :)

Joshua D. Drake

  so when you
> hit next you're not getting the next release, but the next release
> notes. While perhaps a bit confusing on the individual pages, I still
> think it's best to have the release notes in reverse chronological order.
>

> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm seespotcode net

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Links wrong in docs

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 2007, at 22:43 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed the other day that if you are viewing the release notes for a
>>> particular version that the prev / next links are wrong. E.g., If I am
>>> reading 8.1.8 and want to read 8.1.9 I have to hit previous, instead of
>>> next.
>> I think it's because the releases are listed newest first, so when you hit
>> next you're not getting the next release, but the next release notes. While
>> perhaps a bit confusing on the individual pages, I still think it's best to
>> have the release notes in reverse chronological order.
>
> Yeah.  It is confusing if you _think_ about it, but if you just use it,
> it's fine (after all, we've been using it this way for years.  I mean
> even Joshua used to use it and not notice it was backwards).

Well yes and no. I noted that it was confused as soon as I started to
use previous and next. I normally don't do that.

> Probably the only thing you could actually do about it is change the
> text in the link so it said "previous release" (resp. "next release")
> instead of "next" (resp. "previous"), but I have zero idea what it would
> take.  It's probably a lot more work than it's worth, if it's possible
> at all.

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Links wrong in docs

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jul 26, 2007, at 9:30 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 2007, at 22:43 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I noticed the other day that if you are viewing the release notes
>>> for a particular version that the prev / next links are wrong.
>>> E.g., If I am reading 8.1.8 and want to read 8.1.9 I have to hit
>>> previous, instead of next.
>> I think it's because the releases are listed newest first,
>
> I know *why* :). It is still wrong :)

What's your proposed fix? Change the order of the release notes?
Change the meaning of the Next/Previous buttons? I understand what
you're getting at, but I don't see a solution that really improves
things.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: Links wrong in docs

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Jul 26, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2007, at 9:30 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>>> I think it's because the releases are listed newest first,
>>
>> I know *why* :). It is still wrong :)
>
> What's your proposed fix? Change the order of the release notes?
> Change the meaning of the Next/Previous buttons? I understand what
> you're getting at, but I don't see a solution that really improves
> things.

Changing "Next" to "Next Page" seems reasonable... but since that
means running a hacked version of the code that generates the HTML,
it hardly seems worth it (unless that's actually configurable).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org