Обсуждение: Replication Documentation

Replication Documentation

От
Markus Schiltknecht
Дата:
Hi,

has there been a consensus about where a replication document should go
and what it should cover?

Regards

Markus

Re: Replication Documentation

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 21 August 2006 09:47, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has there been a consensus about where a replication document should go
> and what it should cover?

I think the general idea is to toss it on techdocs... like the GUI Tools
page... http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.54

--
Robert Treat

Re: Replication Documentation

От
Markus Schiltknecht
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Monday 21 August 2006 09:47, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
>> has there been a consensus about where a replication document should go
>> and what it should cover?
 >
> I think the general idea is to toss it on techdocs... like the GUI Tools
> page... http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.54

Hm. I didn't know that one. There is already a section about
replication. Chris, do you agree to put your article there?

But AFAIK the goal of our discussion was to put _something_ into the
official documentation to make it better visible. Lots of people ask for
replication solutions, but up to now there is no official statement. So
newcomers need to google around, figure out about lots of different
projects, partly dead ones, etc...

If we put an extensive replication article in the techdocs, we need to
link it somehow from the main documentatino, IMHO. Otherwise it probably
won't help that much.

Regards

Markus

Re: Replication Documentation

Дата:
Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Monday 21 August 2006 09:47, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> >> has there been a consensus about where a replication document should go
> >> and what it should cover?
>  >
> > I think the general idea is to toss it on techdocs... like the GUI Tools
> > page... http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.54
>
> Hm. I didn't know that one. There is already a section about
> replication. Chris, do you agree to put your article there?
>
> But AFAIK the goal of our discussion was to put _something_ into the
> official documentation to make it better visible. Lots of people ask for
> replication solutions, but up to now there is no official statement. So
> newcomers need to google around, figure out about lots of different
> projects, partly dead ones, etc...
>
> If we put an extensive replication article in the techdocs, we need to
> link it somehow from the main documentatino, IMHO. Otherwise it probably
> won't help that much.

I will work on a replication section for 8.2, similar to the XML docs I
posted a few days ago.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: Replication Documentation

От
Markus Schiltknecht
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I will work on a replication section for 8.2, similar to the XML docs I
> posted a few days ago.

Okay, great! You have Christopher's draft [1]? How much information do
you want to include into the main documentation? Do you want to put some
more details to the techdocs?

Regards

Markus

[1]: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-08/msg00026.php

Re: Replication Documentation

Дата:
Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I will work on a replication section for 8.2, similar to the XML docs I
> > posted a few days ago.
>
> Okay, great! You have Christopher's draft [1]? How much information do
> you want to include into the main documentation? Do you want to put some
> more details to the techdocs?

My content will be more general.  I will post to the docs list when it
is ready for review.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: Replication Documentation

От
Markus Schiltknecht
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> My content will be more general.

That sounds good to me.

Shall we put more details into the techdocs, then? Or do you want to
leave it up to every single project to better document itself?

> I will post to the docs list when it
> is ready for review.

Great. I'll be on vacation until September, 6th, so you can be assured
to not get any dumb comments from me until that date.  ;-)

Regards

Markus

Re: Replication Documentation

Дата:
Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > My content will be more general.
>
> That sounds good to me.
>
> Shall we put more details into the techdocs, then? Or do you want to
> leave it up to every single project to better document itself?

It will go in the PostgreSQL project SGML docs.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us