Обсуждение: Bibliography updates for new editions?

Bibliography updates for new editions?

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
Should entries in the Bibliography be updated to reflect new editions?
For example, Date's _An Introduction to Database Systems_ is now
in its eighth edition, and Elmasri and Navathe's _Fundamentals of
Database Systems_ is in its fourth.

Would it be appropriate to add links to Amazon or another bookseller?
If the project would rather not favor a particular retailer, then
maybe it would be reasonable to link to the publishers' own web
pages where such exist.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Bibliography updates for new editions?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 15. Februar 2005 03:20 schrieb Michael Fuhr:
> Should entries in the Bibliography be updated to reflect new editions?

Sure.  Please submit a patch.

> Would it be appropriate to add links to Amazon or another bookseller?
> If the project would rather not favor a particular retailer, then
> maybe it would be reasonable to link to the publishers' own web
> pages where such exist.

I think everyone who is able to use a computer is able to find that
information by himself.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Bibliography updates for new editions?

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:57:34AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 15. Februar 2005 03:20 schrieb Michael Fuhr:
> > Should entries in the Bibliography be updated to reflect new editions?
>
> Sure.  Please submit a patch.

Will do.  Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be wasting anybody's
time by doing so.

> > Would it be appropriate to add links to Amazon or another bookseller?
> > If the project would rather not favor a particular retailer, then
> > maybe it would be reasonable to link to the publishers' own web
> > pages where such exist.
>
> I think everyone who is able to use a computer is able to find that
> information by himself.

Sure, but why not save them the effort?  If somebody (me) is willing
to track down the links, what benefit is there in not providing them?
The Bibliography already provides links to other items -- why not the
books as well?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Bibliography updates for new editions?

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:11:58AM -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:57:34AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 15. Februar 2005 03:20 schrieb Michael Fuhr:
> > > Should entries in the Bibliography be updated to reflect new editions?
> >
> > Sure.  Please submit a patch.
>
> Will do.  Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be wasting anybody's
> time by doing so.

Should I update the biblioentry id's, or are they keys that shouldn't
be changed so other documents that refer to them don't need to be
updated?  For example, should DATE94 remain the same, or should it
become DATE04 (or DATE2004)?  I see that BOWMAN93 refers to a 1996
edition of that book, so I'm guessing the id's should remain untouched.
Just wanted to be sure, though.

Thanks.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Bibliography updates for new editions?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 15. Februar 2005 18:11 schrieb Michael Fuhr:
> Sure, but why not save them the effort?  If somebody (me) is willing
> to track down the links, what benefit is there in not providing them?
> The Bibliography already provides links to other items -- why not the
> books as well?

I don't think the publisher's web site is particularly relevant.  You might as
well link to the authors' home pages as well.  And then we start attaching
links to everything all over the documentation.  In an XLink world, this
might make sense, but not right now, I think.

The other links lead to the actual document, which is relevant.

If there were a functional URN namespace for ISBNs then I would support
linking the ISBNs to that.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Bibliography updates for new editions?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2005 02:07 schrieb Michael Fuhr:
> Should I update the biblioentry id's,

Yes.

--
Peter Eisentraut