Обсуждение: Runtime Basics

Runtime Basics

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

Attached is my "runtime basics" patch to Runtime.sgml (and to one line in
installation.sgml).

Can someone check my SGML and OK it?

This isn't the comprehensive "getting up and running as a pgsql DBA" that I
would have liked, but I find I'm running out of time.   It also uses a
varlist in a section of runtime.sgml, and links to section headers in the
rest of the document.   I know that this was not the desired approach, but
better this than nothing at all ....

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Вложения

Re: Runtime Basics

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Josh Berkus writes:

> Attached is my "runtime basics" patch to Runtime.sgml (and to one line in
> installation.sgml).

Please send a context diff (diff -c).

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Runtime Basics

От
Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai
Дата:
-On [20031031 01:32], Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>Can someone check my SGML and OK it?

Most of the time you can run nsgmls or onsgmls on it to verify, assuming
you have stuff like that installed (sp or opensp IIRC).

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust...

Re: Runtime Basics

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Peter, Jeroen,

> Please send a context diff (diff -c).

Will do.

> Most of the time you can run nsgmls or onsgmls on it to verify, assuming
> you have stuff like that installed (sp or opensp IIRC).

Yeah.  Unfortuantely, most of my SGML tools on my laptop seem to be broken
pending spending 3-6 hours figuring out which package is broken exactly and
re-building it.   Doing multiple upgrades in-place of a major Linux distro
(SuSE) seems to produce some notably Windows-like effects ....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Runtime Basics

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Peter,

> Please send a context diff (diff -c).

Attached.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Вложения

Re: Runtime Basics

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Josh Berkus writes:

> > Please send a context diff (diff -c).
>
> Attached.

The SGML is not valid.  Please validate it.

"Parameter" is the correct term, not "option".

"runtime" is spelled "run time".

There is no such thing as INITDB.  Maybe you mean initdb.

Please follow the existing indentation scheme.  Never put tabs in a
documentation source file.

Mark up parameter names using <varname>.

Don't use quotes ("), use <quote>.

And finally, can you explain what you intend to accomplish by this change?
I just see a bunch of things moved around and some things changed along
the way.  Some of these things seem to make sense, but some do not.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Runtime Basics

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Peter,

> And finally, can you explain what you intend to accomplish by this change?
> I just see a bunch of things moved around and some things changed along
> the way.  Some of these things seem to make sense, but some do not.

Never mind, then.  Obviously I don't have time to do this properly, so it's
probably better not to do it at all.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: Runtime Basics

Дата:

I will try to apply it within the next 48 hours to HEAD and 7.4.X.

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Peter,
>
> > Please send a context diff (diff -c).
>
> Attached.
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: Runtime Basics

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
>
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches
>
> I will try to apply it within the next 48 hours to HEAD and 7.4.X.

Please kill this patch.  Peter pointed out a number of SGML mistakes and
contextual problems which I don't have time to fix.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: Runtime Basics

Дата:
Patch withdrawn by author.

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Peter,
>
> > Please send a context diff (diff -c).
>
> Attached.
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: Runtime Basics

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
> >
> >     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches
> >
> > I will try to apply it within the next 48 hours to HEAD and 7.4.X.
>
> Please kill this patch.  Peter pointed out a number of SGML mistakes and
> contextual problems which I don't have time to fix.

I was wondering if this was the same patch, and I was sure you would
tell me if it was --- withdrawn.

Re: Runtime Basics

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

> I was wondering if this was the same patch, and I was sure you would
> tell me if it was --- withdrawn.

Yeah, sorry.  I thought that it wouldn't be considered "submitted" until I
sent it to pgsql-patches.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Runtime Basics

Дата:
> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:

Wasn't this patch withdrawn?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Runtime Basics

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
>
> Wasn't this patch withdrawn?

Yep, removed from queue.