Обсуждение: Manual pages

Manual pages

Дата:
I see the 7.3 manual pages in /dev/doc.  Would someone move them over into
the main 7.3 directory?  Should I do it?

Re: Manual pages

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I see the 7.3 manual pages in /dev/doc.  Would someone move them over into
> the main 7.3 directory?  Should I do it?

What are you talking about?

Vince.
--
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com
         Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: Manual pages

Дата:
Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I see the 7.3 manual pages in /dev/doc.  Would someone move them over into
> > the main 7.3 directory?  Should I do it?
>
> What are you talking about?

On the FTP site, under /dev/doc, I see:

    -rw-r--r--   1 vev      wheel      146009 Nov 21 23:33 man.tar.gz

Those are the manual pages for 7.3.  However, I don't see these in the
7.3 download directory.  Seems they should be there.

Re: Manual pages

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > I see the 7.3 manual pages in /dev/doc.  Would someone move them over into
> > > the main 7.3 directory?  Should I do it?
> >
> > What are you talking about?
>
> On the FTP site, under /dev/doc, I see:
>
>     -rw-r--r--   1 vev      wheel      146009 Nov 21 23:33 man.tar.gz
>
> Those are the manual pages for 7.3.  However, I don't see these in the
> 7.3 download directory.  Seems they should be there.

That's interesting 'cuze I'm not generating them.  I seem to recall the
decision to drop the man pages in either late vedr 6.x or early 7.0.  I
didn't know they were still happening.  In any case we should find out
how they're getting into /dev/doc and change that rather than just moving
a file that could end up in the same place again.

Vince.
--
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com
         Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: Manual pages

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Vince Vielhaber writes:

> That's interesting 'cuze I'm not generating them.  I seem to recall the
> decision to drop the man pages in either late vedr 6.x or early 7.0.  I
> didn't know they were still happening.  In any case we should find out
> how they're getting into /dev/doc and change that rather than just moving
> a file that could end up in the same place again.

The man pages are contained in the postgresql-*.tar.gz tarball, the same
way they have been for many releases.  I generate them nowadays and upload
them from time to time so that the release building process can pick them
up.  There isn't a strong reason that they are made available on the ftp
site, except that it has always been that way and possibly so that people
could download them during the development cycle, in the same way they can
download the HTML version of the documentation.  But there isn't any
reason why they have to be copied elsewhere because anyone who downloads
PostgreSQL already has them and using them separately is not supported.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Manual pages

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber writes:
>
> > That's interesting 'cuze I'm not generating them.  I seem to recall the
> > decision to drop the man pages in either late vedr 6.x or early 7.0.  I
> > didn't know they were still happening.  In any case we should find out
> > how they're getting into /dev/doc and change that rather than just moving
> > a file that could end up in the same place again.
>
> The man pages are contained in the postgresql-*.tar.gz tarball, the same
> way they have been for many releases.  I generate them nowadays and upload
> them from time to time so that the release building process can pick them
> up.  There isn't a strong reason that they are made available on the ftp
> site, except that it has always been that way and possibly so that people
> could download them during the development cycle, in the same way they can
> download the HTML version of the documentation.  But there isn't any
> reason why they have to be copied elsewhere because anyone who downloads
> PostgreSQL already has them and using them separately is not supported.

Solves that.

Vince.