Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

Дата:
Can someone help me get the 1/2 hours SGML build link on to the
developer's page.  I can't find where that is located.  I modified
index.html in the developers corner on www.ca.postgresql.org but it is
not showing:

    http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php

> just about to be moved to the new server, now that the new 18gi drive has
> been installed ... plan on getting that done this afternoon ...
>
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > I've built the docs on cvs.postgresql.org, but where are the ftp and www
> > areas these days and how does one get stuff onto them?
> >
> > --
> > Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Can someone help me get the 1/2 hours SGML build link on to the
> developer's page.  I can't find where that is located.  I modified
> index.html in the developers corner on www.ca.postgresql.org but it is
> not showing:
>
>     http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php

What do you want added?

> > just about to be moved to the new server, now that the new 18gi drive has
> > been installed ... plan on getting that done this afternoon ...
> >
> > On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > > I've built the docs on cvs.postgresql.org, but where are the ftp and www
> > > areas these days and how does one get stuff onto them?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

Дата:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > Can someone help me get the 1/2 hours SGML build link on to the
> > developer's page.  I can't find where that is located.  I modified
> > index.html in the developers corner on www.ca.postgresql.org but it is
> > not showing:
> >
> >     http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php
>
> What do you want added?

I wanted this added at the bottom:

<li><a href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml">SGML docs
updated every half-hour</a>

I updated the www cvs copy and put it on the web site but it seems that
page is now generated via PHP if I am seeing the URL correctly:

    http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >

> > > Can someone help me get the 1/2 hours SGML build link on to the
> > > developer's page.  I can't find where that is located.  I modified
> > > index.html in the developers corner on www.ca.postgresql.org but it is
> > > not showing:
> > >
> > >     http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php
> >
> > What do you want added?
>
> I wanted this added at the bottom:
>
> <li><a href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml">SGML docs
> updated every half-hour</a>

It's there.

Vince.

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

Дата:

> > > What do you want added?
> >
> > I wanted this added at the bottom:
> >
> > <li><a href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml">SGML docs
> > updated every half-hour</a>
>
> It's there.

I also need:

<li><a
href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/build.log">SGML
build log</a>

Again, I got it into the cvs www but it doesn't appear on
www.ca.postgresql.org.  Is there something I am doing wrong?

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:

> > > I wanted this added at the bottom:
> > >
> > > <li><a href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml">SGML docs
> > > updated every half-hour</a>
> >
> > It's there.
>
> I also need:
>
> <li><a
> href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/build.log">SGML
> build log</a>

Added.

> Again, I got it into the cvs www but it doesn't appear on
> www.ca.postgresql.org.  Is there something I am doing wrong?

That's because developers corner is gone.  users lounge and the
main site are next to go.

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

> > I also need:
> >
> > <li><a
> > href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/build.log">SGML
> > build log</a>
>
> Added.
>
> > Again, I got it into the cvs www but it doesn't appear on
> > www.ca.postgresql.org.  Is there something I am doing wrong?
>
> That's because developers corner is gone.  users lounge and the
> main site are next to go.

OK, exactly how are changes made?  Can only you make them?

Also, any idea why the link isn't working?  It doesn't work here either.
I thought you could put in a text file in any directory and it would
work but now I am unsure.

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > I also need:
> > >
> > > <li><a
> > > href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/build.log">SGML
> > > build log</a>
> >
> > Added.
> >
> > > Again, I got it into the cvs www but it doesn't appear on
> > > www.ca.postgresql.org.  Is there something I am doing wrong?
> >
> > That's because developers corner is gone.  users lounge and the
> > main site are next to go.
>
> OK, exactly how are changes made?  Can only you make them?

For now yes.  There's too much going on to be letting more than me and
Marc in there.

> Also, any idea why the link isn't working?  It doesn't work here either.
> I thought you could put in a text file in any directory and it would
> work but now I am unsure.

What link?

Vince.

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> <li><a href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml">SGML docs
> updated every half-hour</a>

Ya know, if I'm required to wait 12 hours for *any* source code build to
be available to my CVSup'd repository, why should we slap in a bunch of
short circuits for the docs? And if this is a valuable thing to do, why
short circuit the docs building procedure I've already got on the main
machines by pointing the web site off to some other machine?

fwiw, one docs building procedure, either ~thomas's, or ~petere's new
one, or ~bruce's should be sufficient imho.

Since we all seem to be heading off in different directions, we should
talk about why that is necessary and try to get headed somewhere
productively imho.

                     - Thomas

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

Дата:
> > <li><a href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml">SGML docs
> > updated every half-hour</a>
>
> Ya know, if I'm required to wait 12 hours for *any* source code build to
> be available to my CVSup'd repository, why should we slap in a bunch of
> short circuits for the docs? And if this is a valuable thing to do, why
> short circuit the docs building procedure I've already got on the main
> machines by pointing the web site off to some other machine?
>
> fwiw, one docs building procedure, either ~thomas's, or ~petere's new
> one, or ~bruce's should be sufficient imho.
>
> Since we all seem to be heading off in different directions, we should
> talk about why that is necessary and try to get headed somewhere
> productively imho.

I did it because the doc build was down and it was supposedly holding up
beta.  I do think we need more frequent doc builds than 24 hours though.

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > <li><a href="http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml">SGML docs
> > > updated every half-hour</a>
> >
> > Ya know, if I'm required to wait 12 hours for *any* source code build to
> > be available to my CVSup'd repository, why should we slap in a bunch of
> > short circuits for the docs? And if this is a valuable thing to do, why
> > short circuit the docs building procedure I've already got on the main
> > machines by pointing the web site off to some other machine?
> >
> > fwiw, one docs building procedure, either ~thomas's, or ~petere's new
> > one, or ~bruce's should be sufficient imho.
> >
> > Since we all seem to be heading off in different directions, we should
> > talk about why that is necessary and try to get headed somewhere
> > productively imho.
>
> I did it because the doc build was down and it was supposedly holding up
> beta.  I do think we need more frequent doc builds than 24 hours though.

Since when doe sa doc build, or docs of any kind, hold up beta?  docs are
'fluid' up until a week before release,as they have always been ...

last I heard from petere, there were tools that need to be installed, and
were installed, ont eh server for the builds ... Peter, did I miss
something in that, or was it just waiting for ftp.postgresql.org to be on
the new server?

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Since when doe sa doc build, or docs of any kind, hold up beta?  docs are
> 'fluid' up until a week before release,as they have always been ...

Sure. I think that the consensus was that a docs snapshot *should* be
available at the beginning of beta, and there are other issues which
seem to be showstoppers. All of which will be resolved soon I'm sure.

afaik we would like to be in beta RSN, but I have a few more catalog
changes to make so if everything else were in place we would still want
to wait a day or two.

Lots that would be uncovered in beta is being addressed now, and I sense
an increase in the number of things being fixed and improved (a common
sign that people are stepping up their efforts to support the release)
so there is no need for a quick fix on any one thing.

> last I heard from petere, there were tools that need to be installed, and
> were installed, ont eh server for the builds ... Peter, did I miss
> something in that, or was it just waiting for ftp.postgresql.org to be on
> the new server?

Not sure about that. I started to refresh the doc build procedure but
stopped when I couldn't figure out where the docs would go afterwards. I
*think* I now know where that would be, but we are not to the point
where I can actually write files there. And if developer.postgresql.org
doesn't share disks with my home directory and the cvs repository, I'm
looking at having to do a few more tweaks to move these things around
from whatever the best "build machine" would be.

btw, in the machine info I've had before today,
"developer.postgresql.org" didn't show up. So I'll still claim to be
confused over what machines, aliases, and virtual machines are coming
online, how they relate to each other, what disks they will see, etc
etc. To quote an old advertisement down here, "inquiring minds want to
know...". ;)

                       - Thomas

                        - Thomas

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

Дата:
> > > Since we all seem to be heading off in different directions, we should
> > > talk about why that is necessary and try to get headed somewhere
> > > productively imho.
> >
> > I did it because the doc build was down and it was supposedly holding up
> > beta.  I do think we need more frequent doc builds than 24 hours though.
>
> Since when doe sa doc build, or docs of any kind, hold up beta?  docs are
> 'fluid' up until a week before release,as they have always been ...
>
> last I heard from petere, there were tools that need to be installed, and
> were installed, ont eh server for the builds ... Peter, did I miss
> something in that, or was it just waiting for ftp.postgresql.org to be on
> the new server?

Tom said we shouldn't go beta without the docs building.

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

Дата:
>> Since when doe sa doc build, or docs of any kind, hold up beta?  docs are
>> 'fluid' up until a week before release,as they have always been ...

> Tom said we shouldn't go beta without the docs building.

I'm not sure whether you're referring to me or Lockhart, but if the
former: I don't say that we must have a working automatic build
process (though it's surely a high priority).  What I do say is that
we must have a reasonably up-to-date version of the development docs
posted at the canonical place for same.  Else, beta testers will not
know what to test, and so the whole notion of a beta test period is
rendered meaningless.

If the docs situation were the only thing holding up beta, I'd say
do a manual build and install and get on with it.  But it seems we
have some other problems too, so Marc and Vince have some breathing
room to finish fixing the server configuration issues...

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> Not sure about that. I started to refresh the doc build procedure but
> stopped when I couldn't figure out where the docs would go afterwards.
> I *think* I now know where that would be, but we are not to the point
> where I can actually write files there. And if
> developer.postgresql.org doesn't share disks with my home directory
> and the cvs repository, I'm looking at having to do a few more tweaks
> to move these things around from whatever the best "build machine"
> would be.

Its all on the same hard drive, on the same machine ...

> btw, in the machine info I've had before today,
> "developer.postgresql.org" didn't show up. So I'll still claim to be
> confused over what machines, aliases, and virtual machines are coming
> online, how they relate to each other, what disks they will see, etc
> etc. To quote an old advertisement down here, "inquiring minds want to
> know...". ;)

okay, let's try and do a summary here that is bound to miss something,
but ...

several monthss back, we moved to doing "virtual machine hosting", where
our clients were provided an isolated environment for their domains ... it
meant that we could provide very specialized services as a client required
(jakarta-tomcat for some, openacs for others, etc) without
conflicts/sharing between them ...

a 'domain machine' doesn't have any partitions per se, so if you do a 'df
.' from anywhre on cvs.postgresql.org, it will always be the same 'drive'

now,if you look at http://www.postgresql.org, it is just a "portal" now to
the mirrors, and hte mirrors have been tightened up so that any that is
out of date by 48hrs is automatically drop'd ... Vince and gang are
working on making it into even more of a portal site then what it is now,
with links to articles about PgSQL, news about it, etc ... work in
progress ...

The 'physical sites' for PgSQL are moving to:

    http://www.<cc>.postgresql.org
    ftp://ftp.<cc>.postgresql.org

On the main server, where everything is pulled from,
http://www.ca.postgresql.org points to /usr/local/www/www/html ...

http://www.postgresql.org itself is on a different machine, as it doesn't
contain any "real" information, its all going to be dynamically generated
out of the database ...

mhonarc based, and uses UDMSearch to search through them ... again,
everything in there is automagically generated, but is pulled from the
main server ...

http://fts.postgresql.org is still the OpenFTS search of the archives, so
there are two ways of searching the archives ...

http://gborg.postgresql.org, still being worked on, is in its own 'virtual
machine', since I didn't want to worry about overlaps with CVS ...

then there is techdocs and developer ...

archives was split from the main site, mainly to reduce teh size of teh
mirror, to make it optional instead of required ... www.<cc> is going to
be, as far as I understand it, the 'released stuff', while developer.<cc>
is going to be stuff like the TODO lists and views into the CVS repository
and whatnot ...

Alot of it is still a work in progress, and once we get the portal done,
we should have better 'directions' to give to ppl as to where they want to
go, but the 'central site' has just gotten too un-manageable from an
admin, as well as mirror, point of view ...

Anything that anyone is going to need to modify will always be on the
central server, which, once we get the new mirror stuff in place, will be
just plain 'postgresql.org', but for now is 'cvs.postgresql.org' ... ftp
directories are under ~ftp and web directories are all off of
/usr/local/www ... those will not change ...

does that help any, in the short term?

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Tuesday 02 October 2001 12:36 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> does that help any, in the short term?
Thanks for the roadmap.  Now we know a cliff isn't around the next blind
hairpin curve.... :-)
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 October 2001 12:36 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > does that help any, in the short term?
> Thanks for the roadmap.  Now we know a cliff isn't around the next blind
> hairpin curve.... :-)

Shhhhh!   :)

Vince.

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

Дата:
Vince, can you update:

    /usr/local/www/developer/TODO/docs/cvs.html

to use the right CVS locations or give me permission to modify it.

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 02 October 2001 12:36 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > does that help any, in the short term?
> > Thanks for the roadmap.  Now we know a cliff isn't around the next blind
> > hairpin curve.... :-)
>
> Shhhhh!   :)
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>          56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Vince, can you update:
>
>     /usr/local/www/developer/TODO/docs/cvs.html
>
> to use the right CVS locations or give me permission to modify it.

Where is the new one hiding?

> > > Thanks for the roadmap.  Now we know a cliff isn't around the next blind
> > > hairpin curve.... :-)
> >
> > Shhhhh!   :)
> >
> > Vince.
> > --
> > ==========================================================================
> > Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
> >          56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
> >         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
> >        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com
> > ==========================================================================

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

Дата:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Vince, can you update:
> >
> >     /usr/local/www/developer/TODO/docs/cvs.html
> >
> > to use the right CVS locations or give me permission to modify it.
>
> Where is the new one hiding?

Uh, we are not building SGML yet.  Here is the HTML file that is current
from my machine.

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > Vince, can you update:
> > >
> > >     /usr/local/www/developer/TODO/docs/cvs.html
> > >
> > > to use the right CVS locations or give me permission to modify it.
> >
> > Where is the new one hiding?
>
> Uh, we are not building SGML yet.  Here is the HTML file that is current
> from my machine.

Got it and it's installed.

Vince.

Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> last I heard from petere, there were tools that need to be installed, and
> were installed, ont eh server for the builds ... Peter, did I miss
> something in that, or was it just waiting for ftp.postgresql.org to be on
> the new server?

Docs build fine.  There just wasn't a place to put them until a few days
ago, plus I didn't want to put them there because I'm not the one in
charge of this.  AFAICT, Thomas Lockhart should be able to use his old
scripted setup with a path change or three as already discussed.

Thomas, you will probably want to get some newer DSSSL stylesheets rather
than the ones installed under /usr/local/...; you can find tarballs for a
recent release or two at or near ~petere/PGDOC/{share|src} (forget where).
Use DOCBOOKSTYLE = <path> in Makefile.custom, or in the environment before
configure, as usual.