Обсуждение: Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

Дата:
> Hi,
>
> [pgsql-docs@postgresql.org doesn't seem to accept this report,
> so I send it to you.]
>
> The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide says in the release notes:
>
> Release 7.1
> Release date 2000-09-01.
>
> I wish that was true!
>
> Unfortunately, everwhere else on the site the latest release is 7.0.3.
>
> See for your self: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin/release.htm
>
> I guess you better correct this (of explain it).

Wow, I see it now from your URL.  That is totally weird.  It isn't even
close because it states the major 7.1 feature is block comments!

I noticed it does not mention 7.0.3.  Must be some strange old version.

Somone, please help explain this.

Re: Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > [pgsql-docs@postgresql.org doesn't seem to accept this report,
> > so I send it to you.]
> >
> > The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide says in the release notes:
> >
> > Release 7.1
> > Release date 2000-09-01.
> >
> > I wish that was true!
> >
> > Unfortunately, everwhere else on the site the latest release is 7.0.3.
> >
> > See for your self: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin/release.htm
> >
> > I guess you better correct this (of explain it).
>
> Wow, I see it now from your URL.  That is totally weird.  It isn't even
> close because it states the major 7.1 feature is block comments!
>
> I noticed it does not mention 7.0.3.  Must be some strange old version.
>
> Somone, please help explain this.

The /docs directory is where the docs used to be.  I was about to remove
it when I noticed you guys were still maintaining FAQs and stuff in it.
The only two real doc directories are in the user's lounge and developer's
corner.  A number of people bookmarked the old location because of the
old site that used frames.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

Дата:
> > I noticed it does not mention 7.0.3.  Must be some strange old version.
> >
> > Somone, please help explain this.
>
> The /docs directory is where the docs used to be.  I was about to remove
> it when I noticed you guys were still maintaining FAQs and stuff in it.
> The only two real doc directories are in the user's lounge and developer's
> corner.  A number of people bookmarked the old location because of the
> old site that used frames.

Oh, thanks.  Seems we are better leaving the FAQ's in there because they
are changed so often as copies from CVS.

Re: Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > I noticed it does not mention 7.0.3.  Must be some strange old version.
> > >
> > > Somone, please help explain this.
> >
> > The /docs directory is where the docs used to be.  I was about to remove
> > it when I noticed you guys were still maintaining FAQs and stuff in it.
> > The only two real doc directories are in the user's lounge and developer's
> > corner.  A number of people bookmarked the old location because of the
> > old site that used frames.
>
> Oh, thanks.  Seems we are better leaving the FAQ's in there because they
> are changed so often as copies from CVS.

I turned the index page into a redirect so that should take care of the
problem with the exception of pages in the stale docs that are bookmarked.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

Дата:
[Sorry, didn't see the rest of this thread right away]

Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> I turned the index page into a redirect so that should take care of the
> problem with the exception of pages in the stale docs that are bookmarked.

I'd vote for physically removing the old docs.  I'd rather people find
that their bookmark links are broken than that they continue to see
obsolete/incorrect docs ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> [Sorry, didn't see the rest of this thread right away]
>
> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> > I turned the index page into a redirect so that should take care of the
> > problem with the exception of pages in the stale docs that are bookmarked.
>
> I'd vote for physically removing the old docs.  I'd rather people find
> that their bookmark links are broken than that they continue to see
> obsolete/incorrect docs ...

I agree, but since the dirs are owned by Thomas the best I could do for
now is rename them.  Either Thomas or Marc can remove them.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

Дата:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I noticed it does not mention 7.0.3.  Must be some strange old version.
>> Somone, please help explain this.

That text agrees with what was in release.sgml back around July (see
release.sgml version 1.57 ... ain't CVS wonderful?).  That was after
the 7.0.* branch-off.  So what we have here is documents generated from
the development tip that aren't being updated.

Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> The /docs directory is where the docs used to be.  I was about to remove
> it when I noticed you guys were still maintaining FAQs and stuff in it.

We should get rid of the out-of-date documents, for sure.  Maybe put in
a link to the ones that are kept up to date?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > > I noticed it does not mention 7.0.3.  Must be some strange old version.
> > >
> > > Somone, please help explain this.
> >
> > The /docs directory is where the docs used to be.  I was about to remove
> > it when I noticed you guys were still maintaining FAQs and stuff in it.
> > The only two real doc directories are in the user's lounge and developer's
> > corner.  A number of people bookmarked the old location because of the
> > old site that used frames.
>
> Oh, thanks.  Seems we are better leaving the FAQ's in there because they
> are changed so often as copies from CVS.

The FAQs should be handled the same as the documentation proper, i.e.,
there should be one copy in the devel-corner reflecting current sources
and one copy in the users-lounge reflecting earlier releases.  Lots of
these have changed for 7.1, but that doesn't help those using 7.0 right
now.

FAQ is a stupid name anyway.  Additional installation hints is better.

Re: Re: [BUGS] 7.1 released on 2000-09-01?

Дата:
> > Oh, thanks.  Seems we are better leaving the FAQ's in there because they
> > are changed so often as copies from CVS.
>
> The FAQs should be handled the same as the documentation proper, i.e.,
> there should be one copy in the devel-corner reflecting current sources
> and one copy in the users-lounge reflecting earlier releases.  Lots of
> these have changed for 7.1, but that doesn't help those using 7.0 right
> now.
>
> FAQ is a stupid name anyway.  Additional installation hints is better.

I usually make the FAQ change during late beta, and mark stuff as 7.1
anyway.  The TODO list should be updated constantly because it marks
stuff that will be done in the next release.  I don't see an issue here.