Обсуждение: Pgadmin man page

Pgadmin man page

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Why is there a pgadmin man page?

Re: Pgadmin man page

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Why is there a pgadmin man page?

Uh, because there is a pgadmin? I'm sure that is not really what you are
asking, so please clarify...

                  - Thomas

Re: Pgadmin man page

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> > Why is there a pgadmin man page?
>
> Uh, because there is a pgadmin? I'm sure that is not really what you are
> asking, so please clarify...

Well, there is *no* pgadmin. At least on Unix, and man pages only exist on
Unix.

It's also kind of strange that we're shipping documentation for a program
we're not actually shipping, when that program might better ship its own
documentation. It's certainly nice to mention related products, but maybe
a reference page is not the most appropriate form (especially since the
reference page at hand is more like an advertisement anyway).

Re: Pgadmin man page

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > > Why is there a pgadmin man page?
> Well, there is *no* pgadmin. At least on Unix, and man pages only exist on
> Unix.
> It's also kind of strange that we're shipping documentation for a program
> we're not actually shipping, when that program might better ship its own
> documentation. It's certainly nice to mention related products, but maybe
> a reference page is not the most appropriate form (especially since the
> reference page at hand is more like an advertisement anyway).

I wanted to have reference pages for useful programs. You are right, it
shouldn't be in the man page list (which is just specified in
sgml/Makefile).

The advert character of the page is due to my picking up text from
somewhere and stuffing it in to the page. afaik it is the only example
of a program in the docs which is not in the basic distro, but I'd like
to have some way to tie in to other apps and doc sets. Perhaps we should
put some text into the intro for the reference section?

                   - Thomas

Re: Pgadmin man page

Дата:
> > Well, there is *no* pgadmin. At least on Unix, and man pages only exist on
> > Unix.
> > It's also kind of strange that we're shipping documentation for a program
> > we're not actually shipping, when that program might better ship its own
> > documentation. It's certainly nice to mention related products, but maybe
> > a reference page is not the most appropriate form (especially since the
> > reference page at hand is more like an advertisement anyway).
>
> I wanted to have reference pages for useful programs. You are right, it
> shouldn't be in the man page list (which is just specified in
> sgml/Makefile).
>
> The advert character of the page is due to my picking up text from
> somewhere and stuffing it in to the page. afaik it is the only example
> of a program in the docs which is not in the basic distro, but I'd like
> to have some way to tie in to other apps and doc sets. Perhaps we should
> put some text into the intro for the reference section?

Isn't reference to other programs something that belongs on the web
site, not in our docs.

Re: Pgadmin man page

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Well, there is *no* pgadmin. At least on Unix, and man pages only exist on
> > > Unix.
> > > It's also kind of strange that we're shipping documentation for a program
> > > we're not actually shipping, when that program might better ship its own
> > > documentation. It's certainly nice to mention related products, but maybe
> > > a reference page is not the most appropriate form (especially since the
> > > reference page at hand is more like an advertisement anyway).
> >
> > I wanted to have reference pages for useful programs. You are right, it
> > shouldn't be in the man page list (which is just specified in
> > sgml/Makefile).
> >
> > The advert character of the page is due to my picking up text from
> > somewhere and stuffing it in to the page. afaik it is the only example
> > of a program in the docs which is not in the basic distro, but I'd like
> > to have some way to tie in to other apps and doc sets. Perhaps we should
> > put some text into the intro for the reference section?
>
> Isn't reference to other programs something that belongs on the web
> site, not in our docs.

At least a blurb on the interfaces page.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: Pgadmin man page

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > Isn't reference to other programs something that belongs on the web
> > site, not in our docs.
> At least a blurb on the interfaces page.

Sure. And at least a blurb in the docs. There is no point in leaving out
information from the docs, especially since not everyone comes to
Postgres through the web page in the first place.

                    - Thomas

Re: Pgadmin man page

Дата:
> > > Isn't reference to other programs something that belongs on the web
> > > site, not in our docs.
> > At least a blurb on the interfaces page.
>
> Sure. And at least a blurb in the docs. There is no point in leaving out
> information from the docs, especially since not everyone comes to
> Postgres through the web page in the first place.

The problem I have with putting it in the docs is that it gives the
impression that we mention all the 3rd party stuff.  I think we either
need to do it for all the valuable 3rd party stuf, or do it for none of
it and tell people the URL of our web site where we keep the information
current.