Обсуждение: the Chinese version docs

the Chinese version docs

От
Laser Henry
Hi:
    All, I've make a translation of our docs into Chinese in html
format, mainly base v6.4 and v6.5 and I'm manage to  keep up with the
newese version now.
     You may find it at:
        http://www.linuxforum.net/books/postgresNEW/
         and
        http://www.linuxforum.net/books/postgres/
        or
        http://laser.zhengmai.com.cn
     Any comment are appreciate.

    regards

Laser

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
>     All, I've make a translation of our docs into Chinese in html
> format, mainly base v6.4 and v6.5 and I'm manage to  keep up with the
> newese version now.
>      You may find it at:
>         http://www.linuxforum.net/books/postgresNEW/
>          and
>         http://www.linuxforum.net/books/postgres/
>         or
>         http://laser.zhengmai.com.cn
>      Any comment are appreciate.

Very impressive! Though I don't stand a chance of actually reading
them ;)

Vince, can we get a link on our main web site for this?

Henry, do you have a preferred address for them, and would you like
them mirrored on the postgresql.org web site and/or ftp site?

                       - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> >     All, I've make a translation of our docs into Chinese in html
> > format, mainly base v6.4 and v6.5 and I'm manage to  keep up with the
> > newese version now.
> >      You may find it at:
> >         http://www.linuxforum.net/books/postgresNEW/
> >          and
> >         http://www.linuxforum.net/books/postgres/
> >         or
> >         http://laser.zhengmai.com.cn
> >      Any comment are appreciate.
>
> Very impressive! Though I don't stand a chance of actually reading
> them ;)
>
> Vince, can we get a link on our main web site for this?

done.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re:the Chinese version docs

От
"He weiping(Laser Henry)"

>>     All, I've make a translation of our docs into Chinese in html
>> format, mainly base v6.4 and v6.5 and I'm manage to  keep up with the
>> newese version now.
>>      You may find it at:
>>         http://www.linuxforum.net/books/postgresNEW/
>>          and
>>         http://www.linuxforum.net/books/postgres/
>>         or
>>         http://laser.zhengmai.com.cn
>>      Any comment are appreciate.
>
>Very impressive! Though I don't stand a chance of actually reading
>them ;)

:)

>Vince, can we get a link on our main web site for this?
>
>Henry, do you have a preferred address for them, and would you like
>them mirrored on the postgresql.org web site and/or ftp site?

At present, I'll put them on those site and do update, and I'll very
appreciate for you to mirror them also.
Thanks.

Henry

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> At present, I'll put them on those site and do update, and I'll very
> appreciate for you to mirror them also.
> Thanks.

Vince, is this easy to do? Could we use wget or something to snarf
them on a regular basis?

Also, I know we were waiting until after v7.0 to rearrange the doc
locations in the directory tree, but I'd like to consider doing that
now. Could we have subdirectories, say docs/v6.5/ and docs/v7.0/ for
released versions, and for the development docs either the same
locations as now (e.g. docs/postgres/ and docs/user/) or another
subdirectory (e.g. docs/dev/) for the nightly builds.

For the nightly builds, I'd like to post the cron log file on the web
site too, so people can see the results of markup changes they make.
And I'd like to start posting a tarball of the latest sgml sources so
that people can contribute to docs without having to get the entire
development tree.

                      - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > At present, I'll put them on those site and do update, and I'll very
> > appreciate for you to mirror them also.
> > Thanks.
>
> Vince, is this easy to do? Could we use wget or something to snarf
> them on a regular basis?

Dunno, I always left that stuff up to Marc but I imagine I can get wget
to grab it.

> Also, I know we were waiting until after v7.0 to rearrange the doc
> locations in the directory tree, but I'd like to consider doing that
> now. Could we have subdirectories, say docs/v6.5/ and docs/v7.0/ for
> released versions, and for the development docs either the same
> locations as now (e.g. docs/postgres/ and docs/user/) or another
> subdirectory (e.g. docs/dev/) for the nightly builds.

I was splitting the docs off into a user's section.  I just copied them
over, for now they can be found here:

http://www.Postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/index.html

I only have the docs there, I'll take care of the faq's and stuff later
when I have slightly better connectivity.  There will be alot more in
that section. The index page needs to be changed and I need to put it into
cvs.

Now where are the 6.5 docs you mentioned above??

> For the nightly builds, I'd like to post the cron log file on the web
> site too, so people can see the results of markup changes they make.
> And I'd like to start posting a tarball of the latest sgml sources so
> that people can contribute to docs without having to get the entire
> development tree.

That will be in what's soon to be called the 'developer's corner'.  The
map, devlp info, current docs and a buncha other stuff will be there.
It's also where the current ports status will be.

Lotsa changes in the not too distant future.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>
> > > At present, I'll put them on those site and do update, and I'll very
> > > appreciate for you to mirror them also.
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Vince, is this easy to do? Could we use wget or something to snarf
> > them on a regular basis?
>
> Dunno, I always left that stuff up to Marc but I imagine I can get wget
> to grab it.

I can easily setup the wget process under hte pgsql account if you tell me
where you want it put to ... :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I only have the docs there, I'll take care of the faq's and stuff later
> when I have slightly better connectivity.  There will be alot more in
> that section. The index page needs to be changed and I need to put it into
> cvs.
> Now where are the 6.5 docs you mentioned above??

They are in CVS, and I'll copy them in. What I think I'd like to do is
provide docs for (up to) several recent versions of Postgres; would it
be possible to put move the docs stuff in the "users-lounge" down one
level (to, for example, docs/v6.5/postgres/) and then softlink that
set up to docs/ to get the current release docs in the most accessible
place on the web page (just as is done now)?

> > For the nightly builds, I'd like to post the cron log file on the web
> > site too, so people can see the results of markup changes they make.
> > And I'd like to start posting a tarball of the latest sgml sources so
> > that people can contribute to docs without having to get the entire
> > development tree.
>
> That will be in what's soon to be called the 'developer's corner'.  The
> map, devlp info, current docs and a buncha other stuff will be there.
> It's also where the current ports status will be.

Great, then the current nightly build stuff can go there, pretty much
like it does now.

                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: the Chinese version docs

Дата:
> > I only have the docs there, I'll take care of the faq's and stuff later
> > when I have slightly better connectivity.  There will be alot more in
> > that section. The index page needs to be changed and I need to put it into
> > cvs.
> > Now where are the 6.5 docs you mentioned above??
>
> They are in CVS, and I'll copy them in. What I think I'd like to do is
> provide docs for (up to) several recent versions of Postgres; would it
> be possible to put move the docs stuff in the "users-lounge" down one

Hey, where's the users lounge.  No one told me.  :-)

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > I only have the docs there, I'll take care of the faq's and stuff later
> > when I have slightly better connectivity.  There will be alot more in
> > that section. The index page needs to be changed and I need to put it into
> > cvs.
> > Now where are the 6.5 docs you mentioned above??
>
> They are in CVS, and I'll copy them in. What I think I'd like to do is
> provide docs for (up to) several recent versions of Postgres; would it
> be possible to put move the docs stuff in the "users-lounge" down one
> level (to, for example, docs/v6.5/postgres/) and then softlink that
> set up to docs/ to get the current release docs in the most accessible
> place on the web page (just as is done now)?

Ok, I created the directory .../users-lounge/6.5  put them in a directory
called docs in 6.5.  I already did it for 7.0.  We can put patches for
previous versions in there too - or rather links to them.

> > > For the nightly builds, I'd like to post the cron log file on the web
> > > site too, so people can see the results of markup changes they make.
> > > And I'd like to start posting a tarball of the latest sgml sources so
> > > that people can contribute to docs without having to get the entire
> > > development tree.
> >
> > That will be in what's soon to be called the 'developer's corner'.  The
> > map, devlp info, current docs and a buncha other stuff will be there.
> > It's also where the current ports status will be.
>
> Great, then the current nightly build stuff can go there, pretty much
> like it does now.

Exactly.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > I only have the docs there, I'll take care of the faq's and stuff later
> > > when I have slightly better connectivity.  There will be alot more in
> > > that section. The index page needs to be changed and I need to put it into
> > > cvs.
> > > Now where are the 6.5 docs you mentioned above??
> >
> > They are in CVS, and I'll copy them in. What I think I'd like to do is
> > provide docs for (up to) several recent versions of Postgres; would it
> > be possible to put move the docs stuff in the "users-lounge" down one
>
> Hey, where's the users lounge.  No one told me.  :-)

The drywall guys are still making a mess in there :)  It's across the
hall from ballroom.  :)

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: the Chinese version docs

Дата:
> > > They are in CVS, and I'll copy them in. What I think I'd like to do is
> > > provide docs for (up to) several recent versions of Postgres; would it
> > > be possible to put move the docs stuff in the "users-lounge" down one
> >
> > Hey, where's the users lounge.  No one told me.  :-)
>
> The drywall guys are still making a mess in there :)  It's across the
> hall from ballroom.  :)

Don't tell me we have a ballroom too.  I have been spending too much
time coding:-)

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Ok, I created the directory .../users-lounge/6.5  put them in a directory
> called docs in 6.5.  I already did it for 7.0.  We can put patches for
> previous versions in there too - or rather links to them.

Great. I've moved the 6.5 stuff into there (I had already created it
as a "v6.5" directory which ended up in the 7.0/docs/ directory).

For 7.0, I'll be placing the "frozen" versions of docs into that
directory, and hopefully the build process for the distro tarball can
pick them up from there (using, say, wget to snag them).

That will keep the built docs out of CVS altogether. Is that OK with
everyone?

                         - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Ok, I created the directory .../users-lounge/6.5  put them in a directory
> > called docs in 6.5.  I already did it for 7.0.  We can put patches for
> > previous versions in there too - or rather links to them.
>
> Great. I've moved the 6.5 stuff into there (I had already created it
> as a "v6.5" directory which ended up in the 7.0/docs/ directory).
>
> For 7.0, I'll be placing the "frozen" versions of docs into that
> directory, and hopefully the build process for the distro tarball can
> pick them up from there (using, say, wget to snag them).
>
> That will keep the built docs out of CVS altogether. Is that OK with
> everyone?

Works for me.  BTW, Marc's taking care of the wget for the Chinese
docs, I sent him the dir earlier however I'm having second thoughts
as to the location since I told him to put them in .../docs/chinese
which is in the developer's section.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: the Chinese version docs

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Works for me.  BTW, Marc's taking care of the wget for the Chinese
> docs, I sent him the dir earlier however I'm having second thoughts
> as to the location since I told him to put them in .../docs/chinese
> which is in the developer's section.

That might be OK, since we can snapshot them over to a "release"
directory when Henry says he has a newly sync'd version available.
Then the developer's area will have Henry's latest-and-greatest,
independent of version.

                         - Thomas

South Pasadena, California