Обсуждение: New man pages

New man pages

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
I've posted a tarball of new man pages at
 ftp://postgresql.org/pub/doc/man.tar.gz

I *think* these are ready for prime time, or close to it. They are
generated completely automatically from the sgml sources, using some
patched perl utilities. I'll try to post the complete set of docs
tools on the ftp site sometime soon.

Note that there are a few more man pages than were available in the
original versions, and that *all* information in the original man
pages appears in the new ones (or somewhere in the other docs).

I haven't yet updated the cvs tree to contain these new man pages.
Please look through the tarball and report any problems you see, if
you have any interest in the man page issue. Also, please report if
they look OK, so I know *someone* looked at them ;)
                  - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [DOCS] New man pages

Дата:
> I've posted a tarball of new man pages at
>
>   ftp://postgresql.org/pub/doc/man.tar.gz
>
> I *think* these are ready for prime time, or close to it. They are
> generated completely automatically from the sgml sources, using some
> patched perl utilities. I'll try to post the complete set of docs
> tools on the ftp site sometime soon.
>
> Note that there are a few more man pages than were available in the
> original versions, and that *all* information in the original man
> pages appears in the new ones (or somewhere in the other docs).
>
> I haven't yet updated the cvs tree to contain these new man pages.
> Please look through the tarball and report any problems you see, if
> you have any interest in the man page issue. Also, please report if
> they look OK, so I know *someone* looked at them ;)

I looked at the new pages, and they looked very good, much better than I
thought they would.  The only problem was the display of the command
syntax was wrapped rather than being one operator per line:
      select [distinct [on attr_name]]          expression1 [as attr_name-1]          {, expression-1 [as attr_name-i]}
        [into [temp] [table] classname]          [from from-list]          [where where-clause]          [group by
attr_name1{, attr_name-i....}]          [having having-clause]

became:
      select [distinct [on attr_name]]  expression1 [as attr_name-1]          {, expression-1 [as attr_name-i]} [into
[temp][table] classname]          [from from-list] [where where-clause] [group by attr_name1    {, attr_name-i....}]
[havinghaving-clause]

Which is almost unreadable.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [DOCS] New man pages

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I looked at the new pages, and they looked very good, much better than I
> thought they would.

:)

>  The only problem was the display of the command
> syntax was wrapped rather than being one operator per line:
> Which is almost unreadable.

Fixed it.
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [DOCS] New man pages

Дата:
> > I looked at the new pages, and they looked very good, much better than I
> > thought they would.
>
> :)

Yes, I was prepared to really lose some of the nice formatting we had,
but we really didn't lose anything.

> >  The only problem was the display of the command
> > syntax was wrapped rather than being one operator per line:
> > Which is almost unreadable.
>
> Fixed it.

Thanks.

Pennsylvania19026