Обсуждение: Postmaster doesn't start under CygWin (semctl failed)

Postmaster doesn't start under CygWin (semctl failed)

От
Bernard NIZET
Дата:
Thanks for help.
Now I have my postgres user.

And I saw I'm in postgresql 7.3.2.
If  I want to upgrade to 7.3.3 do I have to uninstall ?  Do I need to
upgrade ?

I tried to start postmaster, without success. The service stop with no
message from postmaster.

So I gave a look at /usr/share/postgresql directory
I saw the owner was not postgres. So I tried a chown or chown -R again
on the data directory and  the owner stays always and always my NT Login
User.

I started postmaster under bash (while IPC-daemon was started like a NT
service) and I used -d 5 parameter to debug.

The message received was :

IpcSemaphoreInitialize: semctl(id=2, 0, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument

Where is the problem ?

Re: Postmaster doesn't start under CygWin (semctl failed)

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Bernard,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:25:40PM +0200, Bernard NIZET wrote:
> The message received was :
>
> IpcSemaphoreInitialize: semctl(id=2, 0, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument
>
> Where is the problem ?

Does the following help?

http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:WmTl_QK1BdoJ:sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00481.html+IpcSemaphoreInitialize+cygwin&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Jason

Re: Postmaster doesn't start under CygWin (semctl failed)

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Bernard,

Please keep you replies on-list.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:16:54PM +0200, Bernard NIZET wrote:
> Jason Tishler a écrit :
>
> [snip]
>
> Does the following help?

http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:WmTl_QK1BdoJ:sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00481.html+IpcSemaphoreInitialize+cygwin&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

> Sorry but I did it before my mail (remove tmp files and directories)
> ... and it doesn't help...

I cannot reproduce the problem or think of other things to try.  So, you
will have to debug this problem further yourself.

Sorry,
Jason

Re: Postmaster doesn't start under CygWin (semctl failed)

От
Reshat Sabiq

Bernard NIZET wrote:

> Thanks for help.
> Now I have my postgres user.
>
> And I saw I'm in postgresql 7.3.2.
> If  I want to upgrade to 7.3.3 do I have to uninstall ?  Do I need to
> upgrade ?
>
> I tried to start postmaster, without success. The service stop with no
> message from postmaster.
>
> So I gave a look at /usr/share/postgresql directory
> I saw the owner was not postgres. So I tried a chown or chown -R again
> on the data directory and  the owner stays always and always my NT
> Login User.
>
> I started postmaster under bash (while IPC-daemon was started like a
> NT service) and I used -d 5 parameter to debug.
>
> The message received was :
>
> IpcSemaphoreInitialize: semctl(id=2, 0, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid
> argument
>

> Where is the problem ?

I had a similar problem when i tried to install postgres as a service
last year. I ended up just starting manually from the command line. Good
thing old commands are saved by the shell, and can be easily scrolled
through...

--
Sincerely,
Reshat.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.

Вложения

Re: Postmaster doesn't start under CygWin (semctl failed)

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 02:29:37PM -0500, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> Bernard NIZET wrote:
> >IpcSemaphoreInitialize: semctl(id=2, 0, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid
> >argument
>
> I had a similar problem when i tried to install postgres as a service
> last year. I ended up just starting manually from the command line.
> Good thing old commands are saved by the shell, and can be easily
> scrolled through...

It would be nice if someone who can reproduce the problem tries to debug
it, so we can squash this one too...

Jason