Обсуждение: Problem installing postgresql with cygwin

Problem installing postgresql with cygwin

От
"atanu roy"
Дата:
Hi,

I am trying to install postgresql on Windows2000. I have
installed
cygwin, cygipc. I have installed ipc-daemon as a service and
started it.

I downloaded the postgresql-7.2.1 distribution under cygwin
distribution's
/usr/src/postgresql-7.2.1/

As the first step to install postgresql when I run the ./config
script
I get the following error:

$ ./configure
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking which template to use... win
checking whether to build with locale support... no
checking whether to build with recode support... no
checking whether to build with multibyte character support... no
checking whether NLS is wanted... no
checking for default port number... 5432
checking for default soft limit on number of connections... 32
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler...
no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
using CFLAGS=-O2
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C
compiler cannot create executables.

I am completely at a loss as I have to meet some deadline.

Regards
Atanu Roy

Re: Problem installing postgresql with cygwin

От
mugwumpj
Дата:
is there a reason you need to build from source?  if not, just install the
binary that's part of the cygwin distro.

On 27 Aug 2002, atanu  roy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install postgresql on Windows2000. I have
> installed
> cygwin, cygipc. I have installed ipc-daemon as a service and
> started it.
>
> I downloaded the postgresql-7.2.1 distribution under cygwin
> distribution's
> /usr/src/postgresql-7.2.1/
>
> As the first step to install postgresql when I run the ./config
> script
> I get the following error:
>
> $ ./configure
> checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
> checking which template to use... win
> checking whether to build with locale support... no
> checking whether to build with recode support... no
> checking whether to build with multibyte character support... no
> checking whether NLS is wanted... no
> checking for default port number... 5432
> checking for default soft limit on number of connections... 32
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler...
> no
> checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> using CFLAGS=-O2
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C
> compiler cannot create executables.
>
> I am completely at a loss as I have to meet some deadline.
>
> Regards
> Atanu Roy

Re: Problem installing postgresql with cygwin

От
"atanu roy"
Дата:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I need to install from source.
However, when I try to install from the binary with cygwin, then
also I encounter the following problem.
I am consulting the
J:\cygwin\usr\doc\Cygwin\postgresql-7.2.1.README document.
When I try to install in the basic mode by running initdb I get
the following error:
----
The program
     '/usr/bin/postgres'
needed by initdb does not belong to PostgreSQL version 7.2.1, or
there may be a configuration problem.

This was the error message issued by that program:
/usr/bin/postgres: invalid current euid 500
-----

When I go for NT services Cygwin PostgreSQL installation
procedure:I cannot locate lusrmgr.msc & secpol.msc files in my
cygwin distribution.

Please help.

Atanu Roy

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 mugwumpj wrote :
>is there a reason you need to build from source?  if not, just
>install the
>binary that's part of the cygwin distro.
>
>On 27 Aug 2002, atanu  roy wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to install postgresql on Windows2000. I have
> > installed
> > cygwin, cygipc. I have installed ipc-daemon as a service and
> > started it.
> >
> > I downloaded the postgresql-7.2.1 distribution under cygwin
> > distribution's
> > /usr/src/postgresql-7.2.1/
> >
> > As the first step to install postgresql when I run the
>./config
> > script
> > I get the following error:
> >
> > $ ./configure
> > checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
> > checking which template to use... win
> > checking whether to build with locale support... no
> > checking whether to build with recode support... no
> > checking whether to build with multibyte character support...
>no
> > checking whether NLS is wanted... no
> > checking for default port number... 5432
> > checking for default soft limit on number of connections...
>32
> > checking for gcc... gcc
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a
>cross-compiler...
> > no
> > checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> > checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> > using CFLAGS=-O2
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
> > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C
> > compiler cannot create executables.
> >
> > I am completely at a loss as I have to meet some deadline.
> >
> > Regards
> > Atanu Roy

>majordomo@postgresql.org

Re: Problem installing postgresql with cygwin

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Atanu,

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 06:07:01AM -0000, atanu  roy wrote:
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C
> compiler cannot create executables.

The end of config.log should give you a clue to why the above failed.
But, see my next post...

Jason

Re: Problem installing postgresql with cygwin

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Atanu,

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 08:39:10AM -0000, atanu  roy wrote:
> I need to install from source.

Why?  What is missing from the standard Cygwin package?

> However, when I try to install from the binary with cygwin, then
> also I encounter the following problem.
> [snip]
> This was the error message issued by that program:
> /usr/bin/postgres: invalid current euid 500

Create and/or edit your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files to fix the
above problem.  See man mkpasswd and mkgroup for more details.

> When I go for NT services Cygwin PostgreSQL installation
> procedure:I cannot locate lusrmgr.msc & secpol.msc files in my
> cygwin distribution.

lusrmgr.msc and secpol.msc are standard Windows 2000 MMC snap-ins to
manage users and security policies, respectively.  They are not part of
Cygwin.  You can also find them under:

    Start/Programs/Adminitrative Tools/Computer Managment
    Start/Programs/Adminitrative Tools/Local Security Policy

Jason

Re: Problem installing postgresql with cygwin

От
"joek hondius"
Дата:
a) If you install cygipc, the libs will be there too.

b) You can get cygipc from:
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/index.html
under NEWS, be sure to get v.1.11, not v1.12

c) Use the following command to install the cygipc package:
$ tar -C / -xjf cygipc-${version}.tar.bz2
where "${version}" is the version (e.g., 1.11-1).

d) I am NOT a guru. I read http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/faq-mswin.html
be sure to read it.

Greetings Joek