Обсуждение: Re: [PORTS] Re: initdb problem

Re: [PORTS] Re: initdb problem

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Zsolt,

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 06:05:27PM +0200, Tulassay Zsolt wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > Note that with cygipc 1.09 and later (thanks to Fred), ipc-daemon can
> > be installed as an NT service.  Once ipc-daemon is installed as such,
> > it is automatically started when NT is booted.  Since I always install
> > ipc-daemon as a service, I have little motivation to track down this
> > hang. However, I hope not to discourage anyone else from finding the
> > cause of the hang and fixing it.
>
> Well, ipc-daemon does not work for me as an NT service. (on Win2K)
> It looks as if it started up fine, but instead it just silently eats up
> memory and CPU power. However it seems to start correctly when using the
> 'classic' way.

Sorry, but I can't reproduce the above with either NT 4.0 SP5 or 2000
SP1.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

Re: [PORTS] Re: initdb problem

От
Tulassay Zsolt
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Jason Tishler wrote:

> > Well, ipc-daemon does not work for me as an NT service. (on Win2K)
> > It looks as if it started up fine, but instead it just silently eats up
> > memory and CPU power. However it seems to start correctly when using the
> > 'classic' way.
>
> Sorry, but I can't reproduce the above with either NT 4.0 SP5 or 2000
> SP1.
>
> Jason

it's even more serious as I can't even kill the process from the task
manager, and have to restart the whole machine.
BTW it's a Win2000 central european edition without any service packs
(maybe that's the problem)
I'll ty to test it on other machines as well, and write the results.

Zsolt

RE: Re: [PORTS] Re: initdb problem

От
"Larry Carter"
Дата:
I am sure the lack of SP1 and/or hot fixes is the culprit here.

I am running ipc-daemon (as a service) on my Win2K Pro (U.S.) SP1 + Hot
Fixes box without a single problem.  Been up solid for over a week now
without reboots etc.

Larry

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Jason Tishler wrote:

> > Well, ipc-daemon does not work for me as an NT service. (on Win2K)
> > It looks as if it started up fine, but instead it just silently eats up
> > memory and CPU power. However it seems to start correctly when using the
> > 'classic' way.
>
> Sorry, but I can't reproduce the above with either NT 4.0 SP5 or 2000
> SP1.
>
> Jason

it's even more serious as I can't even kill the process from the task
manager, and have to restart the whole machine.
BTW it's a Win2000 central european edition without any service packs
(maybe that's the problem)
I'll ty to test it on other machines as well, and write the results.

Zsolt

Re: Re: [PORTS] Re: initdb problem

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Larry,

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 03:04:44PM -0700, Larry Carter wrote:
> I am sure the lack of SP1 and/or hot fixes is the culprit here.

I hope so, but how can you be so sure?

> I am running ipc-daemon (as a service) on my Win2K Pro (U.S.) SP1 + Hot
> Fixes box without a single problem.  Been up solid for over a week now
> without reboots etc.

Me too with NT 4.0 SP5/SP6a for well over a month now...

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: Re: [PORTS] Re: initdb problem

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:13:12PM -0700, Larry Carter wrote:
> > > I am sure the lack of SP1 and/or hot fixes is the culprit here.
> >
> > I hope so, but how can you be so sure?
>
> That is a very good question.  I probably should not have used the word
> *sure* in that sentence.  Something like "I would guess" seems more
> appropriate in hind sight.
>
> I could do some tests to see if I can duplicate this if you want.  Reviewing
> the SP1 and all Hot Fixes for possible realtionship to this problem seems
> like the best place to start.
>
> It is also possible that the original poster has some other issues (i.e.
> conflicting software loaded?) that is not related to the core OS and is
> contributing to/causing this problem.

The above would be my first WAG.

Jason