Обсуждение: BUG #5814: documentation bug

BUG #5814: documentation bug

От
"Antje Petersen"
Дата:

Bug reference:      5814
Logged by:          Antje Petersen
Email address:      antje.petersen@desy.de
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.21
Operating system:   Scientific Linux 5
Details:

According to the documentation
createuser --no-superuser and
createuser --no-createrole is the default.
This is not true. The default is to be asked
Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n)
Shall the new role be allowed to create more new roles? (y/n)

Cheers,

antje

Re: BUG #5814: documentation bug

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
[moving to pgsql-docs]

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Antje Petersen <antje.petersen@desy.de> wrote:
> According to the documentation
> createuser --no-superuser and
> createuser --no-createrole is the default.
> This is not true. The default is to be asked
> Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n)
> Shall the new role be allowed to create more new roles? (y/n)

I agree that the incorrect claims about defaults for --superuser,
--createrole, and --createdb should be gotten rid of, since there are
no defaults for these options and createuser will force you to answer
Y or N for these options if you didn't specify on the command line.

Simple doc patch attached. I think the "Examples" section demonstrates
that createuser will prompt for this information without having to
belabor this point in the doc.

Josh

Вложения

Re: BUG #5814: documentation bug

> createuser --no-createrole is the default.
> This is not true. The default is to be asked
> Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n)
> Shall the new role be allowed to create more new roles? (y/n)

Sorry for the late reply.  If you press "enter", "no" is the default.

Re: BUG #5814: documentation bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Antje Petersen wrote:
>>
>> The following bug has been logged online:
>>
>> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A05814
>> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Antje Petersen
>> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0antje.petersen@desy.de
>> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.21
>> Operating system: =A0 Scientific Linux 5
>> Details:
>>
>> According to the documentation
>> createuser --no-superuser and
>> createuser --no-createrole is the default.
>> This is not true. The default is to be asked
>> Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n)
>> Shall the new role be allowed to create more new roles? (y/n)
>
> Sorry for the late reply. =A0If you press "enter", "no" is the default.

That's a lame answer.  Surely this is a documentation bug.

--=20
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #5814: documentation bug

Дата:
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Antje Petersen wrote:
> >>
> >> The following bug has been logged online:
> >>
> >> Bug reference: ? ? ?5814
> >> Logged by: ? ? ? ? ?Antje Petersen
> >> Email address: ? ? ?antje.petersen@desy.de
> >> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.21
> >> Operating system: ? Scientific Linux 5
> >> Details:
> >>
> >> According to the documentation
> >> createuser --no-superuser and
> >> createuser --no-createrole is the default.
> >> This is not true. The default is to be asked
> >> Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n)
> >> Shall the new role be allowed to create more new roles? (y/n)
> >
> > Sorry for the late reply. ?If you press "enter", "no" is the default.
>
> That's a lame answer.  Surely this is a documentation bug.

Well, what do you suggest?  I see no other way to specify the default
for pressing <ENTER>.  I know I just press <ENTER> at those prompts.

Re: BUG #5814: documentation bug

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of vie mar 11 11:44:52 -0300 2011:
> Robert Haas wrote:

> > > Sorry for the late reply. ?If you press "enter", "no" is the default.
> >
> > That's a lame answer.  Surely this is a documentation bug.
>
> Well, what do you suggest?  I see no other way to specify the default
> for pressing <ENTER>.  I know I just press <ENTER> at those prompts.

He's saying that the documentation should say "if no options are passed,
you will be asked".

While at it, I think the default option should be capitalized:
    Shall the new role be allowed to create more new roles? (y/N)
That way, the user knows what will happen, without having to look it up
in the docs.  This capitalization of the default option is pretty common
nowadays.

Re: BUG #5814: documentation bug

От
tushar
Дата:

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Well, what do you suggest?  I see no other way to specify the default
> for pressing <ENTER>.  I know I just press <ENTER> at those prompts.

[root@tushar bin]# ./createuser -p 5438
Enter name of role to add: test
Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n)
Please answer "y" or "n".
Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n)

even if i just <<enter>> it is still asking me to enter 'y' or 'n'

i m using pg9.0 beta3

[root@tushar bin]# ./psql postgres -U postgres -p 5438
Password for user postgres:
psql (9.0beta3)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=#

i think it should show like this :-(if n is the default)

[root@tushar bin]# ./createuser -p 5438
Enter name of role to add: test
Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/N)
Shall the new role be allowed to create more new roles? (y/N)

but don't know how it is behaving in PG 8.1 (as this issue reported against that version)

- --
regards,tushar
Lead QA Engineer
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Mobile: +91-99227433-47

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message
contains information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be
privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive
this for the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution,
retention, archiving, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message

Re: BUG #5814: documentation bug

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of vie mar 11 11:44:52 -0300 2011:
> > Robert Haas wrote:

> > > That's a lame answer.  Surely this is a documentation bug.
> >
> > Well, what do you suggest?  I see no other way to specify the default
> > for pressing <ENTER>.  I know I just press <ENTER> at those prompts.
>
> He's saying that the documentation should say "if no options are passed,
> you will be asked".
>
> While at it, I think the default option should be capitalized:
>     Shall the new role be allowed to create more new roles? (y/N)
> That way, the user knows what will happen, without having to look it up
> in the docs.  This capitalization of the default option is pretty common
> nowadays.

Oops, I was wrong.  There is no default.  It keeps prompting if I press
<ENTER>.

Also, it seems this was addressed in January:

    commit af84bee43e356866dc46c95ae5bf77996a8237ff
    Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>
    Date:   Sat Jan 8 06:12:05 2011 -0500

        Remove bogus claims regarding createuser defaults.

        Josh Kupershmidt

Re: BUG #5814: documentation bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Also, it seems this was addressed in January:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0commit af84bee43e356866dc46c95ae5bf77996a8237ff
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Date: =A0 Sat Jan 8 06:12:05 2011 -0500
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Remove bogus claims regarding createuser defaults.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Josh Kupershmidt

Ah, so it was.  I probably should have remembered that, considering
that I was the one who committed the patch.  Thanks for following up;
sounds like there is nothing further we need to do here.