Обсуждение: Inconsistent pg_ctl behaviour: start vs. runservice

Inconsistent pg_ctl behaviour: start vs. runservice

От
Steffen Macke
Дата:
[PostgreSQL 8.0beta1 on Windows 2000 Professional]

In case of a leftover postmaster.pid, pg_ctl start
tries to start anyway,
but pg_ctl runservice (as installer by the PostgreSQL
Windows installer) will not start the service, requiring a manual
removal of postmaster.pid.

Apparently no proper error code is returned on the service startup
failure - I couldn't get the service
recovery options to delete postmaster.pid (Tried batchfile and executable).

Regards,

Steffen

Re: Inconsistent pg_ctl behaviour: start vs. runservice

Дата:
Steffen Macke wrote:
> [PostgreSQL 8.0beta1 on Windows 2000 Professional]
>
> In case of a leftover postmaster.pid, pg_ctl start
> tries to start anyway,
> but pg_ctl runservice (as installer by the PostgreSQL
> Windows installer) will not start the service, requiring a manual
> removal of postmaster.pid.
>
> Apparently no proper error code is returned on the service startup
> failure - I couldn't get the service
> recovery options to delete postmaster.pid (Tried batchfile and executable).

Yes, this pid file is a known problem we are researching.