Обсуждение: Pg_dump uses up RAM and swap space

Pg_dump uses up RAM and swap space

От
Szabó Roland
Дата:
Hi!

Reading the archives I understand this is a problem of postgres version
prior 7.1, and I'm experiencing the very same error as Steve Riley
reported last month. I saw that the suggestion was to use 7.2, but I'm
not sure you meant dump 7.1 database from 7.1 backend using 7.2 pg_dump.
We have approx. 1.5 Gb of data in a 7.1 database, and would not like to
loose it, but cannot dump it with 7.1. If this is the way to go, please
confirm that.
Thank you for your time.

Roland Szabo

Re: Pg_dump uses up RAM and swap space

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 12:13, Szabó Roland wrote:
> Reading the archives I understand this is a problem of postgres version
> prior 7.1, and I'm experiencing the very same error as Steve Riley
> reported last month.

I searched the archives but I couldn't find the bug report you're
referring to.

>  I saw that the suggestion was to use 7.2, but I'm
> not sure you meant dump 7.1 database from 7.1 backend using 7.2 pg_dump.
> We have approx. 1.5 Gb of data in a 7.1 database, and would not like to
> loose it, but cannot dump it with 7.1. If this is the way to go, please
> confirm that.

Given that I can't see the original report you're referring to, that's
not a lot of information to go on -- can you provide enough information
to reproduce the problem, or at least elaborate on exactly what it going
wrong?

(BTW, you should be able to use a 7.2 pg_dump to dump a 7.1 database.)

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Pg_dump uses up RAM and swap space

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Roland,

Szabó Roland wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Reading the archives I understand this is a problem of postgres version
> prior 7.1, and I'm experiencing the very same error as Steve Riley
> reported last month. I saw that the suggestion was to use 7.2, but I'm
> not sure you meant dump 7.1 database from 7.1 backend using 7.2 pg_dump.
> We have approx. 1.5 Gb of data in a 7.1 database, and would not like to
> loose it, but cannot dump it with 7.1.

Well, just to make sure you're safe, before testing anything you should
at least make a backup of the entire PostgreSQL $PGDATA directory (*with
PostgreSQL not running!*).

That way, if anything does go wrong, you can always copy this backup
into place and um.. try again (but differently of course).

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> If this is the way to go, please