Обсуждение: Website, mailing list

Website, mailing list

От
John Summerfield
Дата:
I've tried unsuccessfully to subscribe to some list. Majordom doesn't understand me.

I asked for help. Majordomo doesn't understand that either.

Thought I'd recheck the website to see what I really ought to do. I get this:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php

The following error was encountered:

    * Connection Failed

The system returned:

(111) Connection refused

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

In the absence of a working website, can someone pls tell me the magic incantation?

btw If the webmaster's listening, it might be better to combine the sites so folk get their mirror.
My mirror IS working, and if it wasn't, there'd be others to try.

Re: Website, mailing list

Дата:
John Summerfield <pgtest@os2.ami.com.au> writes:
> I asked for help. Majordomo doesn't understand that either.

What did you do exactly?  The following message brought back a help
response for me:

------------
Where did you get that URL from?  AFAIK we have never had such a site
name as "developer.postgresql.org".

            regards, tom lane

Re: Website, mailing list

От
Justin Clift
Tom Lane wrote:

<snip>
> > While trying to retrieve the URL: http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php
>
> Where did you get that URL from?  AFAIK we have never had such a site
> name as "developer.postgresql.org".

Hi Tom,

This is the new "Developer's Corner site" which Vince created.  Looks
pretty nice, new color scheme, better layout, etc.  People get to it
when clicking on "Developer's Corner" from the main PostgreSQL site.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> http://archives.postgresql.org

     - Indira Gandhi

Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > Where did you get that URL from?  AFAIK we have never had such a site
> > name as "developer.postgresql.org".
> This is the new "Developer's Corner site" which Vince created.  Looks
> pretty nice, new color scheme, better layout, etc.  People get to it
> when clicking on "Developer's Corner" from the main PostgreSQL site.

Hmm. Maybe this is one reason why I'm lost and disoriented trying to
build docs on the new servers. Vince, where do the various www areas
live nowadays? Can someone please publish a site map for *physical
locations* on the machines? If they've done so already, I've misplaced
it and would appreciate an off-list refresher.

Thanks!

                      - Thomas

Re: Website, mailing list

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
In the process of fixing ... should be good to go by end of day on Sunday

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, John Summerfield wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> > > It would seem that that page is out of date.  Vince, can you fix it?
> > > I have no idea where the website source files live...
> >
> > Actually the instructions are correct.  Something happened in the
> > last couple of weeks that broke things.  I'm guessing Marc's recent
> > upgrade.  Marc??  Care to look into this?
> >

> In the mean time, can someone tell me what works now, or alternatively enrol me in hackers and bugs and jdbc and
announcements?

Re: Website, mailing list

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
It used to work, recent upgrade broke it, it was/is a known bug that has
been fixed since and I'm in the process of upgrading ...

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, John Summerfield wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> > > Are they?  The last time I subscribed to a new list, the right
> > > incantation was to mail
> > >     subscribe list-name my-address
> > > to majordomo@postgresql.org.  This doesn't square with what the webpage
> > > says to do ...
> >
> > Majordomo2 and a number of other maillist packages accept subscription
> > requests to LISTNAME-request@domain.com.   I know the instructions worked
> > when I subscribed to general, odbc and at least one other list.
>

> Please, someone who can fix it test it. I have requests like that that didn't work,

Re: Website, mailing list

От
John Summerfield
Дата:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > > While trying to retrieve the URL: http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php
> >
> > Where did you get that URL from?  AFAIK we have never had such a site
> > name as "developer.postgresql.org".
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> This is the new "Developer's Corner site" which Vince created.  Looks
> pretty nice, new color scheme, better layout, etc.  People get to it
> when clicking on "Developer's Corner" from the main PostgreSQL site.

And when I retried later it worked. That's where I'm reading the CVS instructions (that don't work) now.

> :)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

> >                         regards, tom lane

> > http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Website, mailing list

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> John Summerfield <pgtest@os2.ami.com.au> writes:
> > I get response like this
> > subscribe
> > **** Illegal command!
> > No valid commands processed.
>
> > when I send commands according to the instructions at
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/subunsub.php
>
> It would seem that that page is out of date.  Vince, can you fix it?
> I have no idea where the website source files live...

Actually the instructions are correct.  Something happened in the
last couple of weeks that broke things.  I'm guessing Marc's recent
upgrade.  Marc??  Care to look into this?

Vince.

Дата:
John Summerfield <pgtest@os2.ami.com.au> writes:
> I get response like this
> subscribe
> **** Illegal command!
> No valid commands processed.

> when I send commands according to the instructions at
> http://developer.postgresql.org/subunsub.php

It would seem that that page is out of date.  Vince, can you fix it?
I have no idea where the website source files live...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Website, mailing list

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> >> It would seem that that page is out of date.  Vince, can you fix it?
>
> > Actually the instructions are correct.
>
> Are they?  The last time I subscribed to a new list, the right
> incantation was to mail
>     subscribe list-name my-address
> to majordomo@postgresql.org.  This doesn't square with what the webpage
> says to do ...

Majordomo2 and a number of other maillist packages accept subscription
requests to LISTNAME-request@domain.com.   I know the instructions worked
when I subscribed to general, odbc and at least one other list.

Vince.

John Summerfield
Дата:
On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> > > Actually the instructions are correct.
> >
> > Are they?  The last time I subscribed to a new list, the right
> > incantation was to mail
> >     subscribe list-name my-address
> > to majordomo@postgresql.org.  This doesn't square with what the webpage
> > says to do ...
>
> Majordomo2 and a number of other maillist packages accept subscription
> requests to LISTNAME-request@domain.com.   I know the instructions worked
> when I subscribed to general, odbc and at least one other list.

Please, someone who can fix it test it. I have requests like that that didn't work,

Re: Website, mailing list

От
John Summerfield
Дата:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > John Summerfield <pgtest@os2.ami.com.au> writes:
> > > I get response like this
> > > subscribe
> > > **** Illegal command!
> > > No valid commands processed.
> >
> > > when I send commands according to the instructions at
> > > http://developer.postgresql.org/subunsub.php
> >
> > It would seem that that page is out of date.  Vince, can you fix it?
> > I have no idea where the website source files live...
>
> Actually the instructions are correct.  Something happened in the
> last couple of weeks that broke things.  I'm guessing Marc's recent
> upgrade.  Marc??  Care to look into this?

In the mean time, can someone tell me what works now, or alternatively enrol me in hackers and bugs and jdbc and
announcements?

Re: Website, mailing list

От
John Summerfield
Дата:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> John Summerfield <pgtest@os2.ami.com.au> writes:
> > I asked for help. Majordomo doesn't understand that either.
>
> What did you do exactly?  The following message brought back a help
> response for me:

I get response like this

**** Illegal command!

No valid commands processed.

when I send commands according to the instructions at http://developer.postgresql.org/subunsub.php
I.E.

NOTE: We recently upgraded to Majordomo2. This is the new procedure for getting on and off the lists.

XXXXXXXbeing the name of the list as shown below) and in the body of the message put:

subscribe
or
unsubscribe

If you hate getting many mail messages per day then when you subscribe as shown above, add the following on the next
line:

> ------------
> To: majordomo@postgresql.org
> Subject: test
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:48:50 -0400
> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>
> help
> ------------
>
> > While trying to retrieve the URL: http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php
>
> Where did you get that URL from?  AFAIK we have never had such a site
> name as "developer.postgresql.org".
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Website, mailing list

Дата:
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
>> It would seem that that page is out of date.  Vince, can you fix it?

> Actually the instructions are correct.

Are they?  The last time I subscribed to a new list, the right
incantation was to mail
    subscribe list-name my-address
to majordomo@postgresql.org.  This doesn't square with what the webpage
says to do ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Website, mailing list

Дата:
> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> >> It would seem that that page is out of date.  Vince, can you fix it?
>
> > Actually the instructions are correct.
>
> Are they?  The last time I subscribed to a new list, the right
> incantation was to mail
>     subscribe list-name my-address
> to majordomo@postgresql.org.  This doesn't square with what the webpage
> says to do ...

It defaults to your current email address and the mailing list address
you used for subscription.