Обсуждение: Looking for mail relays ...

Looking for mail relays ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
G'day all ...

  With the growing # of subscribers to the lists, as well as growing list
activity, ppl are reporting a slowdown in the speed that mail is being
processed through from sender to recipient ...

  The major slowdown tends to arrive when the mail queue on the serving
machine gets very large, so over the past few months, we've been working
on distributing that load around to various servers provided to the
community.

  In order to improve things further, we'd like to increase the number
even further ...

  Right now, we have the following TLDs covered:

/\.(jp)$/
/\.(fr|uk|de|pl|ad|se|gr|be|ch|dk|es|fi|gi|ie|it|lu|nl|no|pt|tr|at)$/
/\.(com|net|org|ca|edu|biz|us|mil|ws|info)$/

  Both of the first two lists are being covered right now by one server,
so if anyone in those locals would like to take some of the load, please
let us know.

  The third one right now is being covered by 6 relay servers right now,
but we'd like to double that if we can ...

  If there are any TLDs that aren't covered in the above, that you would
be willing to handle, please let us know as well.

  On average, the heaviest 'zone' (and the reason we'd like to get a few
more going) is the third above (.com, etc) ... we're finding the relays
are handling ~100mb/day of traffic through them ... the more we can spread
it out, the lower the per server traffic, of course.

  If you are able to offer a relay, but you can only do a small part (ie.
a Canadian site only willing ot handle .ca domains), that is great as
well, as it takes some load off of the other servers, which is our desire

  If you are able to help, please email me directly and we'll get you
setup.

Thanks ...
----

Re: Looking for mail relays ...

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 15:28:02 -0400,
  "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:

>   Right now, we have the following TLDs covered:
>
> /\.(jp)$/
> /\.(fr|uk|de|pl|ad|se|gr|be|ch|dk|es|fi|gi|ie|it|lu|nl|no|pt|tr|at)$/
> /\.(com|net|org|ca|edu|biz|us|mil|ws|info)$/

You should probably throw .to in to the last list as it is an "open" tld.

Re: Looking for mail relays ...

От
Gary Stimson
Дата:
Hi Marc

I have a Celeron 1.3 at ev1servers.net in texas that just sits doing remote
backup, mail and DNS. Plenty of spare bandwidth and CPU. It runs qmail. Any
use?

Gary

--
Gary Stimson
28 Cowlishaw Road, Sheffield S11 8XF

Re: [GENERAL] Looking for mail relays ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Appendum to this ... to do mail relaying for this, there is nothing
specially that has to be installed on your server, it is just a simple
configuration change depending on your MTA ...

For instance, with sendmail, you add a line similar to:

200.46.204.71 RELAY

to your access file

With postfix, you add 200.46.204.71 to your relay_domains entry in main.cf

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> G'day all ...
>
>   With the growing # of subscribers to the lists, as well as growing list
> activity, ppl are reporting a slowdown in the speed that mail is being
> processed through from sender to recipient ...
>
>   The major slowdown tends to arrive when the mail queue on the serving
> machine gets very large, so over the past few months, we've been working
> on distributing that load around to various servers provided to the
> community.
>
>   In order to improve things further, we'd like to increase the number
> even further ...
>
>   Right now, we have the following TLDs covered:
>
> /\.(jp)$/
> /\.(fr|uk|de|pl|ad|se|gr|be|ch|dk|es|fi|gi|ie|it|lu|nl|no|pt|tr|at)$/
> /\.(com|net|org|ca|edu|biz|us|mil|ws|info)$/
>
>   Both of the first two lists are being covered right now by one server,
> so if anyone in those locals would like to take some of the load, please
> let us know.
>
>   The third one right now is being covered by 6 relay servers right now,
> but we'd like to double that if we can ...
>
>   If there are any TLDs that aren't covered in the above, that you would
> be willing to handle, please let us know as well.
>
>   On average, the heaviest 'zone' (and the reason we'd like to get a few
> more going) is the third above (.com, etc) ... we're finding the relays
> are handling ~100mb/day of traffic through them ... the more we can spread
> it out, the lower the per server traffic, of course.
>
>   If you are able to offer a relay, but you can only do a small part (ie.
> a Canadian site only willing ot handle .ca domains), that is great as
> well, as it takes some load off of the other servers, which is our desire
>
>   If you are able to help, please email me directly and we'll get you
> setup.
>
> Thanks ...
> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

----

Re: Looking for mail relays ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Gary Stimson wrote:

> Hi Marc
>
> I have a Celeron 1.3 at ev1servers.net in texas that just sits doing remote
> backup, mail and DNS. Plenty of spare bandwidth and CPU. It runs qmail. Any
> use?

Sure, but I don't know how to setup qmail for it ... anyone?

----

Re: Looking for mail relays ...

От
"Milan Roubal"
Дата:
write this line to /etc/tcp.smtp
200.46.204.71:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
and than run
tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp

Milan Roubal
  roubal@a-open.cz

(http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
7615664

Re: Looking for mail relays ...

От
Charles VIARD
Дата:
Selon "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>:

> Sure, but I don't know how to setup qmail for it ... anyone?

Hello,

You can do this with tcpserver and /etc/tcp.smtp.
There is a good doc at http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#relaying

--
CharlyBr

Re: Looking for mail relays ...

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Clinging to sanity, bruno@wolff.to (Bruno Wolff III) mumbled into her beard:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 15:28:02 -0400,
>   "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
>>
>>   Right now, we have the following TLDs covered:
>>
>> /\.(jp)$/
>> /\.(fr|uk|de|pl|ad|se|gr|be|ch|dk|es|fi|gi|ie|it|lu|nl|no|pt|tr|at)$/
>> /\.(com|net|org|ca|edu|biz|us|mil|ws|info)$/
>
> You should probably throw .to in to the last list as it is an "open" tld.

What would be "slicker" would be to split this into more partitions,
probably seeking someone prepared to relay into several of the TLDs on
the last list in order to split it into pieces...

I think you're seeing a pattern in the set of TLDs that isn't actually
there.  List #3 consists of the non-country-specific TLDs in addition
to ones for Canada and the US.

Of the above TLDs, the only ones that _aren't_ fairly open are .mil
and .edu, which require either that you be at an "accredited" US
military organization or at an accredited school of higher education.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/postgresql.html

Re: [GENERAL] Looking for mail relays ...

От
Jose Paulo Batista Silva
Дата:
Hi Marc

If it's so simple, I think I can help. I will take care .br domain.
I'm wainting for instructions.

--
José Paulo Batista Silva
Linux User #143502