Обсуждение: A few thoughts for further marketing

A few thoughts for further marketing

От
Chris Travers
Дата:
Hi everyone;

I was thinking it might be a good idea to run a series of articles entitled "Why Use Postgres In ____" where the blank could be filled in with things like "agile development" or "centralized data management" etc.  Each article could then address the killer features that PostgreSQL has in these areas.  Another approach might be from open source projects like Django or LedgerSMB write up additional case studies that might go in a different section.  Maybe case studies could be divided into business case studies and development case studies?

Just some initial thoughts.  What does everyone else think?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: A few thoughts for further marketing

От
Szymon Guz

I was thinking it might be a good idea to run a series of articles entitled "Why Use Postgres In ____" where the blank could be filled in with things like "agile development" or "centralized data management" etc.  Each article could then address the killer features that PostgreSQL has in these areas.  Another approach might be from open source projects like Django or LedgerSMB write up additional case studies that might go in a different section.  Maybe case studies could be divided into business case studies and development case studies?

Just some initial thoughts.  What does everyone else think?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

I think that there is also very important to show the sources of the information from the press materials, such us why we claim that something is 4 times faster.

- Szymon

Re: A few thoughts for further marketing

От
Joshua Berkus
Дата:
Chris,

This sounds like a good idea; do you have something in mind for the first one?

> I was thinking it might be a good idea to run a series of articles
> entitled "Why Use Postgres In ____" where the blank could be filled
> in with things like "agile development" or "centralized data
> management" etc. Each article could then address the killer features
> that PostgreSQL has in these areas. Another approach might be from
> open source projects like Django or LedgerSMB write up additional
> case studies that might go in a different section. Maybe case
> studies could be divided into business case studies and development
> case studies?
>

> Just some initial thoughts. What does everyone else think?
>

> Best Wishes,
> Chris Travers

Re: A few thoughts for further marketing

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Sep 18, 2012, at 2:06 PM, Joshua Berkus wrote:

> Chris,
>
> This sounds like a good idea; do you have something in mind for the first one?

Would these be a series of blogs?  Or would it be possible to put it on the main Postgres website?  Perhaps a new
sectionthat talks about use cases of Postgres...

Jonathan

Re: A few thoughts for further marketing

От
Chris Travers

This sounds like a good idea; do you have something in mind for the first one?

I actually had a couple of thoughts.  First, ideally we should try to get contributions from people actively involved in many fields.  There are a couple that I could do with varying degrees of authority.

The first would be "Why use PostgreSQL in ERP?"  Maybe I could approach the xtuple folks to collaborate here, and at least get review, editorial feedback, and ensure we are marketing this as more than just my project.

The second which I would be a little less qualified at would be "Why use PostgreSQL in Agile Development?" but I am pretty sure I could find folks to collaborate on there too.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: A few thoughts for further marketing

От
Ned Lilly

This sounds like a good idea; do you have something in mind for the first one?

I actually had a couple of thoughts.  First, ideally we should try to get contributions from people actively involved in many fields.  There are a couple that I could do with varying degrees of authority.

The first would be "Why use PostgreSQL in ERP?"  Maybe I could approach the xtuple folks to collaborate here, and at least get review, editorial feedback, and ensure we are marketing this as more than just my project.

We'd be happy to contribute to this.

Regards,
Ned

--
Ned Lilly
President and CEO

Re: A few thoughts for further marketing

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"

Would these be a series of blogs?  Or would it be possible to put it on the main Postgres website?  Perhaps a new section that talks about use cases of Postgres...

I would like to see them on the web site.

Me too...if there appears to be enough interest, I'd be happy to submit a patch to -www

Jonathan

Re: A few thoughts for further marketing

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually had a couple of thoughts.  First, ideally we should try to get
> contributions from people actively involved in many fields.  There are a
> couple that I could do with varying degrees of authority.
>
> The first would be "Why use PostgreSQL in ERP?"  Maybe I could approach the
> xtuple folks to collaborate here, and at least get review, editorial
> feedback, and ensure we are marketing this as more than just my project.
>
> The second which I would be a little less qualified at would be "Why use
> PostgreSQL in Agile Development?" but I am pretty sure I could find folks to
> collaborate on there too.

Something that's come up over the last few years in messages to press@
are requests for US Government case studies.

If anyone is itching to write one up, it would be very useful to have them. ;)

Also, simply linking to case studies from every conference in a
central location would be a giant step forward. Here's a wiki page
that I started if someone has few spare cycles to go through a few
conferences and link to slides/video:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Case_Study_Links

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com

Re: A few thoughts for further marketing

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Sep 22, 2012, at 9:40 PM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I actually had a couple of thoughts.  First, ideally we should try to get
>> contributions from people actively involved in many fields.  There are a
>> couple that I could do with varying degrees of authority.
>>
>> The first would be "Why use PostgreSQL in ERP?"  Maybe I could approach the
>> xtuple folks to collaborate here, and at least get review, editorial
>> feedback, and ensure we are marketing this as more than just my project.
>>
>> The second which I would be a little less qualified at would be "Why use
>> PostgreSQL in Agile Development?" but I am pretty sure I could find folks to
>> collaborate on there too.
>
> Something that's come up over the last few years in messages to press@
> are requests for US Government case studies.
>
> If anyone is itching to write one up, it would be very useful to have them. ;)
>
> Also, simply linking to case studies from every conference in a
> central location would be a giant step forward. Here's a wiki page
> that I started if someone has few spare cycles to go through a few
> conferences and link to slides/video:
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Case_Study_Links

I will comb through some of the conference archives tonight and see what I can find.  Will try to add categories too.

Jonathan

Re: A few thoughts for further marketing

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Also, simply linking to case studies from every conference in a
central location would be a giant step forward. Here's a wiki page
that I started if someone has few spare cycles to go through a few
conferences and link to slides/video:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Case_Study_Links

Did some updating, check it out: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Case_Study_Links

I was able to easily find the talk lists + presentation links for Open (2011, 2012), EU (2011) and PGCon (2010, 2011, 2012) and tried to pull out talks that were around case studies.  I tried not to choose talks that were "Postgres being used in <commercial product>" - and of course, I may have missed talks that should be in the list :-)

I don't think I have all of the PGDay NYC 2012 slides as we had a few case studies at that - I can try reaching out to the presenters to see if they would be willing to share their slides for the wiki.  I'm also going to try and go through our past NYCPUG meetup list to see if I can dig up some slides that would fit the "case study" bill.

Jonathan

[...]

Thanks so much for doing this!  :)

I'm very happy that we have such a great resource to point people to when they ask in the future.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com