Обсуждение: Updated 8.3 release, features

Updated 8.3 release, features

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

I've edited the release some, and I think pending quotes the main body
of the release just about to go.

One thing we could really use, though, is some solid statistics about
how 8.3 improves performance.

I'm working on the extended release now, which is the part which goes on
the website.  I've added a separate features page because there are so
many of them:

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/83ReleaseFeatures

This is based on the main 8.3 Features page.  However, I think we need a
separate version of the page for the press, because:

a) it needs to be worded differently for marketing reasons, and
b) the list for the press should be shorter than the "geek" version.

If anyone can help me fix up that page to make it shorter and better
worded, then please help.  We need to have the English text together
within the next 4-5 days, so it can be translated.

--Josh

Re: Updated 8.3 release, features

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:

> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/83ReleaseFeatures
>
> If anyone can help me fix up that page to make it shorter and better
> worded, then please help.

I made several passes over that to knock some of the geek out of the
descriptions.  At this point I think you'll actually have to cut some of
the more low-level features altogether if you wanted to make it much
shorter.

I also bloated the accessories section a bit by adding more of the ones
mentioned in the main press release, that section could still use some
more work to slim it down.

Re: Updated 8.3 release, features

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 02:19:05PM +0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I've edited the release some, and I think pending quotes the main body
> of the release just about to go.
>

> One thing we could really use, though, is some solid statistics about
> how 8.3 improves performance.
>
> I'm working on the extended release now, which is the part which goes on
> the website.  I've added a separate features page because there are so
> many of them:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/83ReleaseFeatures
>
> This is based on the main 8.3 Features page.  However, I think we need a
> separate version of the page for the press, because:
>
> a) it needs to be worded differently for marketing reasons, and
> b) the list for the press should be shorter than the "geek" version.
>
> If anyone can help me fix up that page to make it shorter and better
> worded, then please help.  We need to have the English text together
> within the next 4-5 days, so it can be translated.

I've updated the text about sspi/gssapi to make it clearer (we do support
gssapi on both unix and windows, and I changed it so GSSAPI is the main
thing and SSPI is the also).

Plus, pg_standby is not pgStandby ;-)

//Magnus