Обсуждение: white paper.

white paper.

От
Michael Dean
To everyone: if you come up with a white paper of between 6-15 pages
entitled "Choosing The Right Database For Your Business or Enterprise" I
will see that it gets very wide circulation.  For now, only Oracle seems
around:

http://ct.enews.webbuyersguide.com/rd/cts?d=212-473-2-27-771533-63844-0-0-0-1

send to me in OpenOffice or text format please.

Michael Dean

Re: white paper.

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 03:08:34PM -0700, Michael Dean wrote:
> To everyone: if you come up with a white paper of between 6-15 pages
> entitled "Choosing The Right Database For Your Business or Enterprise" I
> will see that it gets very wide circulation.  For now, only Oracle seems
> around:

And Pervasive will pay you to write it:
http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/postgresql/partners_in_publishing.asp

Re: white paper.

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Michael Dean wrote:
> To everyone: if you come up with a white paper of between 6-15 pages
> entitled "Choosing The Right Database For Your Business or Enterprise" I
> will see that it gets very wide circulation.  For now, only Oracle seems
> around:
>
> http://ct.enews.webbuyersguide.com/rd/cts?d=212-473-2-27-771533-63844-0-0-0-1

I can write that paper. Take a little time though.

> send to me in OpenOffice or text format please.
>

> Michael Dean

>       match

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: white paper.

От
Jutta Horstmann
Дата:
Michael Dean wrote:
> To everyone: if you come up with a white paper of between 6-15 pages
> entitled "Choosing The Right Database For Your Business or Enterprise" I
> will see that it gets very wide circulation.

I wrote some stuff related to this with respect to whether and which
Open Source database to choose for your enterprise (incl. Firebird,
Ingres, MaxDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL).

The english version is part of my CS thesis "Migration to Open Source
Databases" (Oct 2005):
http://www.osdbmigration.org/misc/migrating_OSDB_jh.pdf (Part 2,
covering features, data warehouse capabilities and performance).

I published a more up-to-date version in the German Open Source Yearbook
(early 2006) - but only in german: Freie Datenbanken im
Unternehmenseinsatz (Enterprise-ready Open Source databases)
http://www.opensourcejahrbuch.de/2006/pdfs/osjb2006-04-04-horstmann.pdf

Regards,
Jutta

Jutta Horstmann         IT consultant
data in transit          email: jh@dataintransit.com
Zehdenicker Str. 25      fon:        +49.30.40526719
10119 Berlin         mob:       +49.176.61188960
Germany                 web:  www.dataintransit.com

Re: white paper.

От
"Liam O'Duibhir"

Hello,

Gavin Sherry and I worked on a white paper presenting the 'Business case for PostgreSQL' in the past but for various reasons we haven't quite finished it.

In reading the thread from some weeks ago (initiated by Michael Dean on the 15th of June) regarding suitable white papers promoting PostgreSQL, we decided to see if our document could become something of broader interest to the community. With Gavin's assistance we have pulled out specific Fujitsu marketing material from it and checked it into the press project on pgfoundry. However, from Fujitsu's perspective, we would like to retain credit as being the originators of the document

You can read it here: http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/press/pr/whitepapers/business_case/whitepaper.tex?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain

The document is made for white paper readers -- managers -- so is lighter on technical detail and more focussed on issues we think this audience is interested in.

Obviously, it still needs work, in particular, some graphical representation of the concepts, improved layout and more detail on success stories people have had with PostgreSQL.

If you're interested in working on it, email myself or Gavin off list and we can coordinate it.

Our goal would be that people throughout the community could use the document to persuade a more business-focussed audience of the advantages of opting to use PostgreSQL.

All feedback, negative or positive, welcome.

Regards,

Liam O'Duibhir

Liam O'Duibhir - Product Manager - Open Source Software

Fujitsu Australia Software Technology

14 Rodborough Road, Frenchs Forest NSW 2086

Tel: (61-2) 9452 9068 Fax: (61-2) 9975 3779

Mob: 0423 025 852 Email: LiamOD@fast.fujitsu.com.au

http://fastware.com.au/postgresql.html

Re: white paper.

От
mdean
Дата:

<http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/press/pr/whitepapers/business_case/whitepaper.tex?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain>

> The document is made for white paper readers -- managers -- so is
> lighter on technical detail and more focussed on issues we think this
> audience is interested in.
>

> Obviously, it still needs work, in particular, some graphical
> representation of the concepts, improved layout and more detail on
> success stories people have had with PostgreSQL.
>

> If you're interested in working on it, email myself or Gavin off list
> and we can coordinate it.
>

> Our goal would be that people throughout the community could use the
> document to persuade a more business-focussed audience of the
> advantages of opting to use PostgreSQL.
>

> All feedback, negative or positive, welcome.
>

> Regards,
>

> Liam O'Duibhir

> Liam O'Duibhir - Product Manager - Open Source Software
>
> Fujitsu Australia Software Technology
>
> 14 Rodborough Road, Frenchs Forest NSW 2086
>
> Tel: (61-2) 9452 9068 Fax: (61-2) 9975 3779
>
> Mob: 0423 025 852 Email: LiamOD@fast.fujitsu.com.au
> <mailto:LiamOD@fast.fujitsu.com.au>
>
> http://fastware.com.au/postgresql.html

I applaude this real effort. Michael

Re: white paper.

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
Not to be too much of a whiner but has anyone reformatted this to have
less of TeX/LaTeX look ( narrower margins mostly ) and possibly got it
into a pdf format.
   Too many years away from TeX/LaTeX ( though I love them ) to do it
easily myself.

TIA,
Rod