Обсуждение: BSDCan 2004

BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
Hi folks,

I'd like to have Bruce Momjian give a talk at BSDCan
(http://www.bsdcan.org).  The main stumbling block is sponsorship.  I
have no money to pay for travel and lodging expenses.  Any ideas?

Cheers
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 12:07, Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to have Bruce Momjian give a talk at BSDCan
> (http://www.bsdcan.org).  The main stumbling block is sponsorship.  I
> have no money to pay for travel and lodging expenses.  Any ideas?

How much would travel and lodging be?

Re: BSDCan 2004

Дата:
Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 12:07, Dan Langille wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'd like to have Bruce Momjian give a talk at BSDCan
> > (http://www.bsdcan.org).  The main stumbling block is sponsorship.  I
> > have no money to pay for travel and lodging expenses.  Any ideas?
>
> How much would travel and lodging be?

Travel is USD $500-1000, lodging is $50-100/night, is my guess.

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
Hey Dan,

I forgot about this thing, even though Dru had told me some time ago.
Try contacting Geoff Davidson at pgsl.com he might (or not) be able to help.

Robert

Dan Langille wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I'd like to have Bruce Momjian give a talk at BSDCan
>(http://www.bsdcan.org).  The main stumbling block is sponsorship.  I
>have no money to pay for travel and lodging expenses.  Any ideas?
>
>Cheers

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
sorry, ;-)  ---> pgsql.com not pgsl.com

> Hey Dan,
>
> I forgot about this thing, even though Dru had told me some time ago.
> Try contacting Geoff Davidson at pgsl.com he might (or not) be able to help.
>

> Robert
>

> Dan Langille wrote:
>
>>Hi folks,
>>
>>I'd like to have Bruce Momjian give a talk at BSDCan
>>(http://www.bsdcan.org).  The main stumbling block is sponsorship.  I
>>have no money to pay for travel and lodging expenses.  Any ideas?
>>
>>Cheers

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dan,

> I'd like to have Bruce Momjian give a talk at BSDCan
> (http://www.bsdcan.org).  The main stumbling block is sponsorship.  I
> have no money to pay for travel and lodging expenses.  Any ideas?

What about getting some of our other contributors who live nearby?   Bruce is
a great speaker, but we do have lots of other people too.   Possibly one or
more of them will have employers who are willing to foot the bill.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: BSDCan 2004

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Dan,
>
> > I'd like to have Bruce Momjian give a talk at BSDCan
> > (http://www.bsdcan.org).  The main stumbling block is sponsorship.  I
> > have no money to pay for travel and lodging expenses.  Any ideas?
>
> What about getting some of our other contributors who live nearby?   Bruce is
> a great speaker, but we do have lots of other people too.   Possibly one or
> more of them will have employers who are willing to foot the bill.

Also, I am getting near to declining invitations.   May is open, but I
am closed through April at this point, and it is December 1. :-0

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 1 Dec 2003 at 16:00, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Dan,
> >
> > > I'd like to have Bruce Momjian give a talk at BSDCan
> > > (http://www.bsdcan.org).  The main stumbling block is sponsorship.  I
> > > have no money to pay for travel and lodging expenses.  Any ideas?
> >
> > What about getting some of our other contributors who live nearby?   Bruce is
> > a great speaker, but we do have lots of other people too.   Possibly one or
> > more of them will have employers who are willing to foot the bill.
>
> Also, I am getting near to declining invitations.   May is open, but I
> am closed through April at this point, and it is December 1. :-0

Sure, I'm open to that.  Who are these speakers?  The folks from
Toronto and Nova Scotia were here last February for another
conference (http://www.osw.ca/) that I'm associated with, but this
conference (http://www.bsdcan.org/) is a different group (mainly me).

FYI: Ottawa is about 8 hours drive from New York City and from
Detroit.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Dan Langille wrote:

> Sure, I'm open to that.  Who are these speakers?  The folks from Toronto
> and Nova Scotia were here last February for another conference
> (http://www.osw.ca/) that I'm associated with, but this conference
> (http://www.bsdcan.org/) is a different group (mainly me).

And altho I love talking to ppl at a booth, I'm a nervous wreck when
trying to speak in front of a group :(  I envy Bruce that ability ...

----

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 1 Dec 2003 at 18:44, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Sure, I'm open to that.  Who are these speakers?  The folks from Toronto
> > and Nova Scotia were here last February for another conference
> > (http://www.osw.ca/) that I'm associated with, but this conference
> > (http://www.bsdcan.org/) is a different group (mainly me).
>
> And altho I love talking to ppl at a booth, I'm a nervous wreck when
> trying to speak in front of a group :(  I envy Bruce that ability ...

Do you folks want to man a booth?  Head off to Toastmasters and cure
that nervousness.  You'd make a great speaker.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Sure, I'm open to that.  Who are these speakers?  The folks from Toronto
> > and Nova Scotia were here last February for another conference
> > (http://www.osw.ca/) that I'm associated with, but this conference
> > (http://www.bsdcan.org/) is a different group (mainly me).
>
> And altho I love talking to ppl at a booth, I'm a nervous wreck when
> trying to speak in front of a group :(  I envy Bruce that ability ...

Five years as a school teacher will do that to you.

Databasejournal.com

От
Oli Sennhauser
Дата:
Hello

Did somebody announce to www.databasejournal.com Release 7.4, 7.4.1 and
7.3.5??? I could not find it on:

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/postgresql/

Regards
Oli

Oli Sennhauser
Database-Engineer (Oracle & PostgreSQL)
Rebenweg 6
CH - 8610 Uster / Switzerland

Phone (+41) 1 940 24 82 or Mobile (+41) 79 450 49 14
e-Mail oli.sennhauser@bluewin.ch
Website http://mypage.bluewin.ch/shinguz/PostgreSQL/

Secure (signed/encrypted) e-Mail with a Free Personal SwissSign ID: http://www.swisssign.ch

Import the SwissSign Root Certificate: http://swisssign.net/cgi-bin/trust/import

Вложения

Re: Databasejournal.com

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
7.4 did get announced, though its difficult to find on the site now...
here's a link though,
http://www.databasejournal.com/news/article.php/3111961

7.4.1 and 7.3.5 havent been officially released yet though, so those
wouldn't be there, assume Josh et al. were planning on announcing it to
them which I am not sure of...

Robert Treat

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 16:09, Oli Sennhauser wrote:
> Hello
>
> Did somebody announce to www.databasejournal.com Release 7.4, 7.4.1 and
> 7.3.5??? I could not find it on:
>
> http://www.databasejournal.com/features/postgresql/
>
> Regards
> Oli

Re: Databasejournal.com

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> 7.4.1 and 7.3.5 havent been officially released yet though, so those
> wouldn't be there, assume Josh et al. were planning on announcing it to
> them which I am not sure of...

No.   Incremental releases don't get a PR splash.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 1 Dec 2003 at 12:59, Robert Bernier wrote:

> >>Hi folks,
> >>
> >>I'd like to have Bruce Momjian give a talk at BSDCan
> >>(http://www.bsdcan.org).  The main stumbling block is sponsorship.  I
> >>have no money to pay for travel and lodging expenses.  Any ideas?

> > Hey Dan,
> >
> > I forgot about this thing, even though Dru had told me some time ago.
> > Try contacting Geoff Davidson at pgsl.com he might (or not) be able to help.

> sorry, ;-)  ---> pgsql.com not pgsl.com

I have been trying to get in touch with Geoff for some months, but
I've have no replies.

The conference is 4 months away, so we do have time to find someone.
The first draft of the schedule is going out this week.  It would
have been nice to have someone scheduled.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
When was the last time you tried?  last summer/fall, he was fairly out of
touch due to various reasons, but since mid-Nov, he's been quite
responsive to all emails ...

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Dan Langille wrote:

> > > Hey Dan,
> > >
> > > I forgot about this thing, even though Dru had told me some time ago.
> > > Try contacting Geoff Davidson at pgsl.com he might (or not) be able to help.
>
> > sorry, ;-)  ---> pgsql.com not pgsl.com
>
> I have been trying to get in touch with Geoff for some months, but
> I've have no replies.
>
> The conference is 4 months away, so we do have time to find someone.
> The first draft of the schedule is going out this week.  It would
> have been nice to have someone scheduled.
> --
> Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

----

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 12 Jan 2004 at 11:53, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> When was the last time you tried?  last summer/fall, he was fairly out of
> touch due to various reasons, but since mid-Nov, he's been quite
> responsive to all emails ...

Thursday afternoon.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
What address are you using?  I talked to him all week last week *puzzled
look*

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2004 at 11:53, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> > When was the last time you tried?  last summer/fall, he was fairly out of
> > touch due to various reasons, but since mid-Nov, he's been quite
> > responsive to all emails ...
>
> Thursday afternoon.
> --
> Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

----

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 12 Jan 2004 at 12:38, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> What address are you using?  I talked to him all week last week *puzzled
> look*

The one you just used in the CC.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
Geoff Davidson
Дата:
Hi Dan,

I apologize for not responding more quickly to your
email note from last Thursday afternoon.

I had hoped to have closure on initiatives that would
have allowed some of us to attend OSW next month, and
while it isn't out of the question, it seems unlikely
that we can join you this year.

Should things change over the next 72 hours I'll let
you know and try to coordinate our participation with
you.

Best regards,
Geoff
--
Geoff Davidson, CFP, MBA
CEO, PostgreSQL, Inc. | President, sales.org Inc.

> Dan Langille wrote:
>
> On 12 Jan 2004 at 12:38, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> > What address are you using?  I talked to him all week
> > last week *puzzled look*
>
> The one you just used in the CC.
>
> --
> Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Geoff: OSW is going to be March 27 this year.  A few months later, in
May, there is http://www.bsdcan.org/.  We'd like you folks here for
both.  Any chance of that?

On 12 Jan 2004 at 11:42, Geoff Davidson wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I apologize for not responding more quickly to your
> email note from last Thursday afternoon.
>
> I had hoped to have closure on initiatives that would
> have allowed some of us to attend OSW next month, and
> while it isn't out of the question, it seems unlikely
> that we can join you this year.
>
> Should things change over the next 72 hours I'll let
> you know and try to coordinate our participation with
> you.
>
> Best regards,
> Geoff
> --
> Geoff Davidson, CFP, MBA
> CEO, PostgreSQL, Inc. | President, sales.org Inc.
> http://www.pgsql.com  | http://www.sales.org
> Cell: 403.880.4510    | 193 Coventry CI NE
> Home: 403.663.9825    | Calgary, AB Canada T3K 5E5
>
> > Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> > On 12 Jan 2004 at 12:38, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > > What address are you using?  I talked to him all week
> > > last week *puzzled look*
> >
> > The one you just used in the CC.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 6 Feb 2004 at 12:25, Geoff Davidson wrote:

> Hi Dan, OSW in March presents some serious challenges,
> while May is certainly a possibility depending on the status
> of our current initiatives and available resources.
>
> What opportunities do you believe will available for us to
> participate in and support at these sessions ?

We're getting the attention of various government departments.
GOSLING <http://www.goslingcommunity.org/> is helping with that.
That will be confirmed over the next couple of weeks.

Next week I'm concentrating on local business groups.  By the end of
February these things should be confirmed.

I see involvement with BSDCan much the same as you did last year with
OSW.  Your activity there was very well received.  If you want to
give a presentation great.  A booth area will be available to you if
you wish.  I'm also working on getting a panel together, which would
include government representatives.  We're compiling that list too.

I hope that gives you some ideas.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dan,

> Geoff: OSW is going to be March 27 this year.  A few months later, in
> May, there is http://www.bsdcan.org/.  We'd like you folks here for
> both.  Any chance of that?

You should pester Dave Cramer, Archeron, and Darcy as well.  They're all North
of the Border.    I will bug them on IRC.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
Geoff Davidson
Дата:
Hi Dan, OSW in March presents some serious challenges,
while May is certainly a possibility depending on the status
of our current initiatives and available resources.

What opportunities do you believe will available for us to
participate in and support at these sessions ?

Regards,
Geoff

At 11:32 AM 2/6/2004, Dan Langille wrote:
>Geoff: OSW is going to be March 27 this year.  A few months later, in
>May, there is http://www.bsdcan.org/.  We'd like you folks here for
>both.  Any chance of that?
>
>On 12 Jan 2004 at 11:42, Geoff Davidson wrote:
>
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > I apologize for not responding more quickly to your
> > email note from last Thursday afternoon.
> >
> > I had hoped to have closure on initiatives that would
> > have allowed some of us to attend OSW next month, and
> > while it isn't out of the question, it seems unlikely
> > that we can join you this year.
> >
> > Should things change over the next 72 hours I'll let
> > you know and try to coordinate our participation with
> > you.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Geoff
> > --
> > Geoff Davidson, CFP, MBA
> > CEO, PostgreSQL, Inc. | President, sales.org Inc.
> > http://www.pgsql.com  | http://www.sales.org
> > Cell: 403.880.4510    | 193 Coventry CI NE
> > Home: 403.663.9825    | Calgary, AB Canada T3K 5E5
> >
> > > Dan Langille wrote:

> > > The one you just used in the CC.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
> >

>--
>Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
>BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
>> Geoff: OSW is going to be March 27 this year.  A few months later, in
>> May, there is http://www.bsdcan.org/.  We'd like you folks here for
>> both.  Any chance of that?
>
> You should pester Dave Cramer, Archeron, and Darcy as well.  They're
> all North of the Border.  I will bug them on IRC.

I'll probably be grabbing a couple days off around then, too, to be in
the area.  My high school, just across the canal, turns 160, and a
visit to parents in Ottawa is well overdue.  I also understand Jan
Wieck may be heading north for the con...
--
output = reverse("ofni.smrytrebil" "@" "enworbbc")
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:18, Christopher Browne wrote:

> josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> >> Geoff: OSW is going to be March 27 this year.  A few months later, in
> >> May, there is http://www.bsdcan.org/.  We'd like you folks here for
> >> both.  Any chance of that?
> >
> > You should pester Dave Cramer, Archeron, and Darcy as well.  They're
> > all North of the Border.  I will bug them on IRC.
>
> I'll probably be grabbing a couple days off around then, too, to be in
> the area.  My high school, just across the canal, turns 160, and a
> visit to parents in Ottawa is well overdue.

Any excuse is better than none.  And having multiple reasons is even
better.  Where do you live now?  I know there's a group coming from
NYC.

> I also understand Jan Wieck may be heading north for the con...

I met Jan at Linux World Expo in NYC last month (Bruce Momjian too!
=> http://www.freebsddiary.org/linuxworldexpo-2004-part5.php).  If
he's coming up, I'd certainly like to have him talk give a technical
talk about replication.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Dan Langille wrote:

>> > You should pester Dave Cramer, Archeron, and Darcy as well.  They're
>> > all North of the Border.  I will bug them on IRC.
>>
>> I'll probably be grabbing a couple days off around then, too, to be in
>> the area.  My high school, just across the canal, turns 160, and a
>> visit to parents in Ottawa is well overdue.
>
> Any excuse is better than none.  And having multiple reasons is even
> better.  Where do you live now?  I know there's a group coming from
> NYC.
>
>> I also understand Jan Wieck may be heading north for the con...
>
> I met Jan at Linux World Expo in NYC last month (Bruce Momjian too!
> => http://www.freebsddiary.org/linuxworldexpo-2004-part5.php).  If
> he's coming up, I'd certainly like to have him talk give a technical
> talk about replication.

As I understood the conference is on Friday and Saturday. I thought
about spending the whole week in Toronto, driving over to Ottawa either
Thursday night or Friday morning.

Jan

Re: BSDCan 2004

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 9 Feb 2004 at 11:53, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:

> >> I'll probably be grabbing a couple days off around then, too, to be in
> >> the area.  My high school, just across the canal, turns 160, and a
> >> visit to parents in Ottawa is well overdue.
> >
> > Any excuse is better than none.  And having multiple reasons is even
> > better.  Where do you live now?  I know there's a group coming from
> > NYC.
> >
> >> I also understand Jan Wieck may be heading north for the con...
> >
> > I met Jan at Linux World Expo in NYC last month (Bruce Momjian too!
> > => http://www.freebsddiary.org/linuxworldexpo-2004-part5.php).  If
> > he's coming up, I'd certainly like to have him talk give a technical
> > talk about replication.
>
> As I understood the conference is on Friday and Saturday.

Yes, the proceedings are on those days, but we have social events on
Thursday and Sunday (for those still in town).

> I thought about spending the whole week in Toronto, driving over to
> Ottawa either Thursday night or Friday morning.

I recommend Thursday night.  Friday morning would mean leaving at 5
or 6 am pick up your registration pack and get to the first session.