Обсуждение: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
"Jan-Peter Seifert"
Дата:
Hello,

I have problems dumping databases on older server versions (e.g. 8.4) with pgAdmin 1.12.1. It seems to enter an endless
loopafter clicking 'OK'. It doesn't matter whether the binaries path points to v8.4 or v9.0. Dumping from 9.0 works
fine.
I have 8.3 (pg_installer, two instances/services), 8.4 and 9.0 installed on Windows xp.

Thank you very much,

Peter
--
GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 €/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 07/12/2010 10:45, Jan-Peter Seifert a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I have problems dumping databases on older server versions (e.g. 8.4) with pgAdmin 1.12.1. It seems to enter an
endlessloop after clicking 'OK'. It doesn't matter whether the binaries path points to v8.4 or v9.0. Dumping from 9.0
worksfine.

> I have 8.3 (pg_installer, two instances/services), 8.4 and 9.0 installed on Windows xp.

Do you have any error message? I have no issue with the dump/restore
facility with 1.12 release.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de
Дата:
Hello and Happy New Year!

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:39:59 +0100
> Von: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
> An: Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de>
> CC: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
> Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

> Le 07/12/2010 10:45, Jan-Peter Seifert a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have problems dumping databases on older server versions (e.g. 8.4)
> with pgAdmin 1.12.1. It seems to enter an endless loop after clicking 'OK'.
> It doesn't matter whether the binaries path points to v8.4 or v9.0. Dumping
> from 9.0 works fine.
> > I have 8.3 (pg_installer, two instances/services), 8.4 and 9.0 installed
> on Windows xp.
> >

> Do you have any error message? I have no issue with the dump/restore
> facility with 1.12 release.

Sorry for replying this late. I've tested it with 1.12.2 on a different system again (Windows 7, 64-Bit). The issue is
stillthere. After starting the backup parts of the desktop are being refreshed rapidly - not just the pgAdmin and the
backupdialogue window. Even the mouse cursor and the icon of another running program in the task bar 'flashed' after
startingthe backup and switching the active window. The backup eventually completes, but takes much longer for the same
databaseon a 8.4 server - about a minute instead of 8 seconds when using pgAdmin 1.10.5. Could check this again,
please?

Thank you very much,

Peter

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
"Jan-Peter Seifert"
Дата:
Hello,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 13:30:27 +0100
> Von: Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de
> An: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
> CC: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
> Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

> Hello and Happy New Year!
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:39:59 +0100
> > Von: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
> > An: Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de>
> > CC: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
> > Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server
> versions
>
> > Le 07/12/2010 10:45, Jan-Peter Seifert a écrit :
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have problems dumping databases on older server versions (e.g. 8.4)
> > with pgAdmin 1.12.1. It seems to enter an endless loop after clicking
> 'OK'.
> > It doesn't matter whether the binaries path points to v8.4 or v9.0.
> Dumping
> > from 9.0 works fine.
> > > I have 8.3 (pg_installer, two instances/services), 8.4 and 9.0
> installed
> > on Windows xp.
> > >

> > Do you have any error message? I have no issue with the dump/restore
> > facility with 1.12 release.
>
> Sorry for replying this late. I've tested it with 1.12.2 on a different
> system again (Windows 7, 64-Bit). The issue is still there. After starting
> the backup parts of the desktop are being refreshed rapidly - not just the
> pgAdmin and the backup dialogue window. Even the mouse cursor and the icon of
> another running program in the task bar 'flashed' after starting the
> backup and switching the active window. The backup eventually completes, but
> takes much longer for the same database on a 8.4 server - about a minute
> instead of 8 seconds when using pgAdmin 1.10.5. Could check this again, please?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Peter

Hello,

somehow this seems to be connected to PostgreSQL schemata. The dump of another database with only the public schema
completesfast and without problems.

The database that causes problems has four additional schemata - each owned by a different user and more privileges are
givenon database objects.

Thank you very much,

Peter

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de
Дата:
Hello,

> somehow this seems to be connected to PostgreSQL schemata. The dump of
> another database with only the public schema completes fast and without
> problems.
> The database that causes problems has four additional schemata - each
> owned by a different user and more privileges are given on database objects.

Apparently I accidentally had used 1.10.5 the last time.

Sorry.

Peter

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 03/01/2011 13:30, Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de a écrit :
> [...]
>> Le 07/12/2010 10:45, Jan-Peter Seifert a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have problems dumping databases on older server versions (e.g. 8.4)
>> with pgAdmin 1.12.1. It seems to enter an endless loop after clicking 'OK'.
>> It doesn't matter whether the binaries path points to v8.4 or v9.0. Dumping
>> from 9.0 works fine.
>>> I have 8.3 (pg_installer, two instances/services), 8.4 and 9.0 installed
>> on Windows xp.
>>>

>> Do you have any error message? I have no issue with the dump/restore
>> facility with 1.12 release.
>
> Sorry for replying this late. I've tested it with 1.12.2 on a different system again (Windows 7, 64-Bit). The issue
isstill there. After starting the backup parts of the desktop are being refreshed rapidly - not just the pgAdmin and
thebackup dialogue window. Even the mouse cursor and the icon of another running program in the task bar 'flashed'
afterstarting the backup and switching the active window. The backup eventually completes, but takes much longer for
thesame database on a 8.4 server - about a minute instead of 8 seconds when using pgAdmin 1.10.5. Could check this
again,please?

There is not much to check. As soon as you click the Backup button,
pgAdmin launches pg_dump and everything is donc by this tool. If you
have an issue afterwards, it's not related to pgAdmin.

Moreover, I can't reproduce the fact that it takes more time to dump an
8.4 database with 9.0 pg_dump.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Jan-Peter Seifert
Дата:
Hello,

Am 06.01.2011 12:11, schrieb Guillaume Lelarge:

>>> with pgAdmin 1.12.1. It seems to enter an endless loop after clicking 'OK'.
>>> It doesn't matter whether the binaries path points to v8.4 or v9.0. Dumping
>>> from 9.0 works fine.
>>> on Windows xp.
>>>>

>>> Do you have any error message? I have no issue with the dump/restore
>>> facility with 1.12 release.
>>
>> Sorry for replying this late. I've tested it with 1.12.2 on a different system again (Windows 7, 64-Bit). The issue
isstill there. After starting the backup parts of the desktop are being refreshed rapidly - not just the pgAdmin and
thebackup dialogue window. Even the mouse cursor and the icon of another running program in the task bar 'flashed'
afterstarting the backup and switching the active window. The backup eventually completes, but takes much longer for
thesame database on a 8.4 server - about a minute instead of 8 seconds when using pgAdmin 1.10.5. Could check this
again,please?

> There is not much to check. As soon as you click the Backup button,
> pgAdmin launches pg_dump and everything is donc by this tool. If you
> have an issue afterwards, it's not related to pgAdmin.
>
> Moreover, I can't reproduce the fact that it takes more time to dump an
> 8.4 database with 9.0 pg_dump.

Thank you very much for checking again.

It's just strange that I'm not the only one experiencing this behaviour
at work. If I find a system without this behaviour or a hint at the
reason I'll post again.
It looks as if the backup window is being refreshed repeatedly.
Did you use the server's binaries as I did or those packaged with
pgAdmin? Which version of Windows did you test it on?
I also had added the server's binaries to the environmental variable
PATH in the past - pgAdmin seems to correctly(?) call the version of
PostgreSQL 8.4 though.

Thank you very much,

Peter

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 11/01/2011 23:31, Jan-Peter Seifert a écrit :

>>> Sorry for replying this late. I've tested it with 1.12.2 on a different system again (Windows 7, 64-Bit). The issue
isstill there. After starting the backup parts of the desktop are being refreshed rapidly - not just the pgAdmin and
thebackup dialogue window. Even the mouse cursor and the icon of another running program in the task bar 'flashed'
afterstarting the backup and switching the active window. The backup eventually completes, but takes much longer for
thesame database on a 8.4 server - about a minute instead of 8 seconds when using pgAdmin 1.10.5. Could check this
again,please?

>> There is not much to check. As soon as you click the Backup button,
>> pgAdmin launches pg_dump and everything is donc by this tool. If you
>> have an issue afterwards, it's not related to pgAdmin.
>>
>> Moreover, I can't reproduce the fact that it takes more time to dump an
>> 8.4 database with 9.0 pg_dump.
>
> Thank you very much for checking again.
>
> It's just strange that I'm not the only one experiencing this behaviour
> at work. If I find a system without this behaviour or a hint at the
> reason I'll post again.
> It looks as if the backup window is being refreshed repeatedly.
> Did you use the server's binaries as I did or those packaged with
> pgAdmin?

The server's one.

> Which version of Windows did you test it on?

Windows XP.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de
Дата:
Hello,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:52:11 +0100
> Von: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
> An: Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de>
> CC: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
> Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

I've compared the calls made by both versions of pgAdmin:

1.10.5
C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe --host localhost --port 5432 --username postgres --format custom
--blobs--verbose --file "D:\db.backup" db

1.12.2:
C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe --host localhost --port 5432 --username "postgres" --format
custom--blobs --verbose --file "D:\db.backup" db

There's just a slight difference in that the username gets quoted by 1.12.2

Server versions:
PostgreSQL 8.4.6, compiled by Visual C++ build 1400, 32-bit

PostgreSQL 9.0.2, compiled by Visual C++ build 1500, 64-bit

Regards,

Peter

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 12/01/2011 18:23, Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:52:11 +0100
>> Von: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
>> An: Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de>
>> CC: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
>> Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions
>
> I've compared the calls made by both versions of pgAdmin:
>
> 1.10.5
> C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe --host localhost --port 5432 --username postgres --format
custom--blobs --verbose --file "D:\db.backup" db

> 1.12.2:
> C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe --host localhost --port 5432 --username "postgres" --format
custom--blobs --verbose --file "D:\db.backup" db

> There's just a slight difference in that the username gets quoted by 1.12.2

Yeah, that's a bug of 1.12.2, but I'm quite sure it doesn't explain the
time difference. Bug fixed BTW.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
rleonanaya

Guillaume Lelarge-3 wrote:

> Le 12/01/2011 18:23, Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>> Datum: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:52:11 +0100
>>> Von: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
>>> An: Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de>
>>> CC: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
>>> Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server
>>> versions
>>
>> I've compared the calls made by both versions of pgAdmin:
>>
>> 1.10.5
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe --host localhost
>> --port 5432 --username postgres --format custom --blobs --verbose --file
>> "D:\db.backup" db
>>

>> 1.12.2:
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe --host localhost
>> --port 5432 --username "postgres" --format custom --blobs --verbose
>> --file "D:\db.backup" db
>>
>> There's just a slight difference in that the username gets quoted by
>> 1.12.2
>>
> Yeah, that's a bug of 1.12.2, but I'm quite sure it doesn't explain the
> time difference. Bug fixed BTW.
> --
> Guillaume

I'm having the same behavior of Peter...

My environment is:
- PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (Debian
4.3.2-1.1) 4.3.2, 32-bit
- PgAdmin III v.1.12.2 on Win 7 64 bits
- A 152 MB Database in UTF8 encoding
- use backup of pgAdmin with defaults (any changes made)

What I can see in the task manager of Win 7 is that the command pg_dump runs
by some seconds and then it closes, then another time it runs by some
seconds and then it closes... I think this is what makes the refreshing look
of all the desktop and the slow pg_dump process.

The only thing that I can assume is that the pg_dump is being made table by
table instead of the entire database or something like that, cause, this
started after in the PgAdmin has delivered the "object" selector
functionality in the backup wizard.

Hopefully this could help.

Rogelio
http://www.blocknetworks.com.mx

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 16/02/2011 19:41, rleonanaya a écrit :

> Guillaume Lelarge-3 wrote:
>>
>> Le 12/01/2011 18:23, Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>>
>>> I've compared the calls made by both versions of pgAdmin:
>>>
>>> 1.10.5
>>> C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe --host localhost
>>> --port 5432 --username postgres --format custom --blobs --verbose --file
>>> "D:\db.backup" db
>>>

>>> 1.12.2:
>>> C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe --host localhost
>>> --port 5432 --username "postgres" --format custom --blobs --verbose
>>> --file "D:\db.backup" db
>>>
>>> There's just a slight difference in that the username gets quoted by
>>> 1.12.2
>>>
>> Yeah, that's a bug of 1.12.2, but I'm quite sure it doesn't explain the
>> time difference. Bug fixed BTW.
>> --
>> Guillaume
>>

> I'm having the same behavior of Peter...
>
> My environment is:
> - PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (Debian
> 4.3.2-1.1) 4.3.2, 32-bit
> - PgAdmin III v.1.12.2 on Win 7 64 bits
> - A 152 MB Database in UTF8 encoding
> - use backup of pgAdmin with defaults (any changes made)
>

> What I can see in the task manager of Win 7 is that the command pg_dump runs
> by some seconds and then it closes, then another time it runs by some
> seconds and then it closes... I think this is what makes the refreshing look
> of all the desktop and the slow pg_dump process.
>
> The only thing that I can assume is that the pg_dump is being made table by
> table instead of the entire database or something like that, cause, this
> started after in the PgAdmin has delivered the "object" selector
> functionality in the backup wizard.

pgAdmin launches pg_dump only once even when you ask it to dump part of
the database, table by table.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
"Jan-Peter Seifert"
Дата:
Hello,

the problem might be caused by the way Windows 7 64bit handles 32bit applications and/or communication between 64bit
and32bit applications.

At home I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit and at work Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit. I'll have to check with the same
databaseI dumped at work at home again, but it seems that there are no issues with Windows 7 32bit.

There was no problem executing the commands generated by pgAdmin from within a DOS-Window for both versions of pg_dump
inWindows 7 64bit - after quoting the path because of the spaces within.

The culprit might be conhost.exe. It seems that it does a CreateFileMapping for the 9.0 version of pg_dump - even after
renamingthe exe.

In fact pg_dump really seems to be started several times because there are different PIDs in the logs of 'Process
Monitor'although I had started pg_dump just once via pgAdmin.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much,

Peter

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:42:52 +0100
> Von: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
> An: rleonanaya <rogelio@blocknetworks.com.mx>
> CC: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
> Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

> Le 16/02/2011 19:41, rleonanaya a écrit :
> >

> > Guillaume Lelarge-3 wrote:

> --file

> >> Yeah, that's a bug of 1.12.2, but I'm quite sure it doesn't explain the
> >> time difference. Bug fixed BTW.
> >> --
> >> Guillaume
> >>

> > I'm having the same behavior of Peter...
> >
> > My environment is:
> > - PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (Debian
> > 4.3.2-1.1) 4.3.2, 32-bit
> > - PgAdmin III v.1.12.2 on Win 7 64 bits
> > - A 152 MB Database in UTF8 encoding
> > - use backup of pgAdmin with defaults (any changes made)
> >

> > What I can see in the task manager of Win 7 is that the command pg_dump
> runs
> > by some seconds and then it closes, then another time it runs by some
> > seconds and then it closes... I think this is what makes the refreshing
> look
> > of all the desktop and the slow pg_dump process.
> >
> > The only thing that I can assume is that the pg_dump is being made table
> by
> > table instead of the entire database or something like that, cause, this
> > started after in the PgAdmin has delivered the "object" selector
> > functionality in the backup wizard.
> >

> pgAdmin launches pg_dump only once even when you ask it to dump part of
> the database, table by table.

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de
Дата:
Hello,

unfortunately this issue isn't resolved yet.

If I dump a database on a ( local ) PostgreSQL 8.4 ( 32-bit ) server using pgAdmin 1.12 and later I get massive
blinkingand the whole system ( Windows 64-bit ) seems to be slowed down more than usual. The dumping takes a very long
timetoo. It doesn't matter whether I use pgdump 8.4 or 9.1.

If I use pgAdmin 1.10.5 instead everything seems fine - at least no blinking and dumping doesn't take much longer.
I use the binaries from the server installations ( 8.3 & 8.4 32-bit and 9.0 & 9.1 64-bit ).
Didn't you change the wxWidget-library in 1.12?

Could you look into this again, please?

Thank you very much,

Peter

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:42:52 +0100
> Von: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
> An: rleonanaya <rogelio@blocknetworks.com.mx>
> CC: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
> Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

> Le 16/02/2011 19:41, rleonanaya a écrit :
> >

> > Guillaume Lelarge-3 wrote:

> --file

> >> Yeah, that's a bug of 1.12.2, but I'm quite sure it doesn't explain the
> >> time difference. Bug fixed BTW.
> >> --
> >> Guillaume
> >>

> > I'm having the same behavior of Peter...
> >
> > My environment is:
> > - PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (Debian
> > 4.3.2-1.1) 4.3.2, 32-bit
> > - PgAdmin III v.1.12.2 on Win 7 64 bits
> > - A 152 MB Database in UTF8 encoding
> > - use backup of pgAdmin with defaults (any changes made)
> >

> > What I can see in the task manager of Win 7 is that the command pg_dump
> runs
> > by some seconds and then it closes, then another time it runs by some
> > seconds and then it closes... I think this is what makes the refreshing
> look
> > of all the desktop and the slow pg_dump process.
> >
> > The only thing that I can assume is that the pg_dump is being made table
> by
> > table instead of the entire database or something like that, cause, this
> > started after in the PgAdmin has delivered the "object" selector
> > functionality in the backup wizard.
> >

> pgAdmin launches pg_dump only once even when you ask it to dump part of
> the database, table by table.
>

> --
> Guillaume
>  http://www.postgresql.fr
>  http://dalibo.com

Re: 1.12.1 - cannot dump from older server versions

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 11:08 +0100, Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> unfortunately this issue isn't resolved yet.
>
> If I dump a database on a ( local ) PostgreSQL 8.4 ( 32-bit ) server using pgAdmin 1.12 and later I get massive
blinkingand the whole system ( Windows 64-bit ) seems to be slowed down more than usual. The dumping takes a very long
timetoo. It doesn't matter whether I use pgdump 8.4 or 9.1.

> If I use pgAdmin 1.10.5 instead everything seems fine - at least no blinking and dumping doesn't take much longer.

Lots of things have changed between 1.10.5 and 1.14.0. Mostly UI (to add
new pg_dump options, and to add objects selectivity). Nothing has been
changed on the execution part, which is the one that seems to give you
lots of issues.

> I use the binaries from the server installations ( 8.3 & 8.4 32-bit and 9.0 & 9.1 64-bit ).
> Didn't you change the wxWidget-library in 1.12?

AFAIK, no.

> Could you look into this again, please?

I looked at the diff between 1.10.5, and 1.14.0, and found nothing of
value to your issue. That's all I can do.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com